PDA

View Full Version : sunrise

99sproth
02-22-2003, 11:04 AM
Heres my first post on these forums, im practically a newbie so I'd like any constructive critiscism!

The image took about 20 minutes to render and has 30mb of texture infomation.

What do you think?

simo

Mebek
02-22-2003, 11:30 AM
From a purely artistic point of view, I think it looks cool. That lens flare might give me a headache if I look at it too long though.

From a realistic standpoint, I'd like to know where the light is coming from, if the sun is behind the planet? I'd also tone the flare down some - try not to use every setting in the Lens Flares panel.

But like I said, I think it looks cool. Keep it up!

sparky
02-22-2003, 11:39 AM
wow, I'd tone down that flare.

those must be some textures! :)

Epita
02-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Thats cool, maby OTT. A great effect is to use Bloom to make the sun sort of spread out over the atmosphere makes for great movies...

Epita

99sproth
02-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Yeah, i do admit the flare was total overkill, it didn't seem so umm... explosive in open gl.

I used 6 texture maps on two objects.

on the earth a colour map and a bump map
and on the atmosphere a transparacy map and a colour map.

If anyone wants the textures or model I'll be happy to share.
:D

simo

Meaty
02-22-2003, 08:24 PM
It looks good as a stylized render... one flaw is that there is essentially zero ambient light in space... so if the sun is coming over that side of Earth, than almost the entire planet would not be visible.

marble_sheep
02-23-2003, 12:21 AM
do you have a version w/o the lens flare that you can post? The planet seems to be pretty cool, but it'd be easier to comment on if it were more visible.

Zombat
02-23-2003, 08:19 AM
Always use lens flares in moderation. Many times they are unnecessary, as well as the circles and red ring. Sure, they give the image a photographic look to them, But I like to get rid of all the camera acessories, so as to make it seem like you were looking at the scene from say, out a window.

Also, it seems as if you've changed the surface of the planet so it has an smoothed edge - very un-planet-like, if that exists, take if off.

The sun could be a lot better. Replace the blaring light with a high-intensity yellow-orange sun, and place it a little further off from the planet. Put a point light at the sun's core with the same color as the glow, give it a lens flare, but with nothing other than random streaks. Keep the flare intensity down enough to make it look as the sun is glowing, but not BLARING.

Remove all other lights in the scene, and the planet would look a little more realistic.

Neat otherwise.

99sproth
02-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Ok here it is without all the cool effects, bad effects, blurs, flares etc...

http://www.rothdomain.freeserve.co.uk/dark/upload1.jpg

Meaty
02-23-2003, 01:18 PM
if the angle in the second pic shows where the sun is, then the edges of the earth would be much more prominent...

here is a link to a cool earth tutorial, it is a little dated, LW 5.6, but it still works.

http://personal.southern.edu/~dascott/tutorial01/nasa-earth.htm

and here is a link to a nasa site that has the most bitchin' high resolution eathmaps i have ever seen. 24000 pixels wide. dont even try to look at it in openGL or lightwave will crash. infact, i had to dumb it down to a 15000 pixel wide jpg for it to render without crashing, still an amazing image. you can use these maps to replace the maps that are available at that earth tutorial site. you'll have to email the Nasa people for the ftp info to download the biggest one, i did, and they emailed me back ftp info within the week. Good luck!

edit: whoops, forgot the second link http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/

99sproth
02-23-2003, 01:34 PM
Wow cool!

cheers!! :D :D

Epita
02-23-2003, 01:38 PM
wow, those pics are amazing. But my LW crashes whenever one or two textures are put in it, any one know about this???

Epita

Meaty
02-23-2003, 02:16 PM
epita, turn off OpenGL textures, should do the trick

Mebek
02-23-2003, 02:46 PM
from a realistic standpoint, you would never see that much bump in the Earth's surface from this far away -- it would look as smooth as a ping-pong ball.

Is it just my eyes, or does Africa look really stretched out?

The lighting on the Earth would also be much more general, looking evenly lit across the daytime side and a fairly fast falloff into the nighttime side.

but artistically, I actually like the bump map, especially there in the Sahara Desert and farther south. Looks like illustrations from a Rand McNally atlas or something.

99sproth
02-23-2003, 02:56 PM
Well i was going for an artistic look, i dropped geography for history!!

As for the stretched africa i have some amazing news!!

There are two types of maps!! I can't possibly explain in under 2000 words but people are campaigning because the current map system is unfair and makes some countries look smaller and therefore less importent(?!).

how or why? - i frankly don't care :p

I seem to be using the new type system. :(

Simo