PDA

View Full Version : OpenEXR file format loader/saver for Lightwave!

Cman
07-18-2003, 04:48 PM
Go to flay.com (http://www.flay.com/) to pick it up!

Beamtracer
07-18-2003, 08:56 PM
Do you have another application where you can take your EXR image files?

Do any compositing apps support it yet?

Aegis
07-19-2003, 01:08 AM
Digital Fusion/DFX+ supports OpenEXR.

TyVole
07-19-2003, 08:29 AM
If I'm not mistaken, OpenEXR files have greater than 8 bits/channel. So, I don't see how DFX+ could do anything with them.

Aegis
07-19-2003, 09:06 AM
Whilst DFX+ can't take full advantage of OpenEXR files it does import them. Besides, you can always tinker with 'em in other apps to adjust levels them zap 'em back into DFX+ without destroying your detail or duplicating your images. It's worth it just for the lossless compression ratios as opposed to other HDR formats.

DarkLight
07-19-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
Do you have another application where you can take your EXR image files?

Do any compositing apps support it yet?

There's a photoshop plugin available for OpenExr available at their website. http://www.openexr.org/

TyVole
07-19-2003, 07:20 PM
I believe CinePaint (formerly FilmGimp) supports it.

Beamtracer
07-19-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Aegis
Whilst DFX+ can't take full advantage of OpenEXR files it does import them. OpenEXR will eventually be a widely used format. However, if you're only going to take the 16bpc images into an 8bpc compositing app, then there's no use to it. Stick with an 8bpc image format.

Hervé
07-20-2003, 02:23 AM
OKey, I've tried it... I rendered an image and saved it in the EXR format, then when opening this image in photoshop using that extra plugin, I noticed that the image does not look at all like my original render and even though I tried to tweak the exposure and gamma in the opening preview, it still does not match my original render....

the only trhing that kinda work is to tweak levels in photoshop.....

What am I doing wrong ??

Hervé

Beamtracer
07-20-2003, 07:56 AM
Can this thing really load EXR images into Lightwave?

Up until now, Lightwave hasn't been able to load any 16bpc images without disrupting other functionality. I'd be very surprised if 16bpc EXR images can be loaded into Lightwave with this plug-in.... then again, I may get corrected on this.

I'd wait until the real EXR loader comes with Lightwave 8.

nuclearchutney
07-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Can this thing really load EXR images into Lightwave?

Up until now, Lightwave hasn't been able to load any 16bpc images without disrupting other functionality. I'd be very surprised if 16bpc EXR images can be loaded into Lightwave with this plug-in.... then again, I may get corrected on this.

I'd wait until the real EXR loader comes with Lightwave 8.

hehe you do stand corrected on this. This is a tested plugin from Rainmaker. They used it in production I believe.
I have been able to import the 16bit per channel EXRs available on ILM's OpenEXR Download page through this LW plugin with no problem.

I have also been able to output EXR through the plugin with no problem and view them in the EXRdisplay program made public by ILM.

policarpo
07-20-2003, 07:02 PM
Where's our OSX port.:D

damn sweet dudes! kudos to the developer!

Beamtracer
07-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by nuclearchutney
hehe you do stand corrected on this. Fair enough. It must be the first 16bpc image format that Lightwave accepts.

At least in the OS X version of Lightwave, if you load up a 16bpc image then you can no longer use 32bpc images until you relaunch Lightwave. I don't know whether that problem exists in the Windows version.

Anyway, I can see that EXR will become popular. I think that new versions of most graphics applications will soon support it.

nuclearchutney
07-20-2003, 07:28 PM
Fair enough. It must be the first 16bpc image format that Lightwave accepts.

At least in the OS X version of Lightwave, if you load up a 16bpc image then you can no longer use 32bpc images until you relaunch Lightwave. I don't know whether that problem exists in the Windows version.

Anyway, I can see that EXR will become popular. I think that new versions of most graphics applications will soon support it.

hehe thats exactly what I am saying.
With this plugin, now atleast on the PC side, (hopefully MacOSX soon) you can load both 32 bit and 16 half bit (EXR use Nvidia's CG language's half function to create a 16 bit HDR) High dynamic range images without any problem.

Hervé
07-20-2003, 11:12 PM
The import works good, but have you tried to open a EXR rendered in LW and saved in LW in Photoshop... it looks overexposed.....

Beam why dont you just try it ?

Hervé

mattc
07-20-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by policarpo
Where's our OSX port.:D

damn sweet dudes! kudos to the developer!

Rainmaker did say they handed the source over to Newtek. ;)

M.

nuclearchutney
07-21-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by mattc
Rainmaker did say they handed the source over to Newtek. ;)

M.

where did you hear that?

mattc
07-21-2003, 12:42 AM
A couple of notes that I should have put in the readme... 1) the loader loads the entire image in one shot, not line by line 2) the saver saves the entire image in one shot, not line by line We did this to get the best performance on our SAN. Art Howe @ NewTek has the source, and hopefully they will put this in the next LW release. Best of luck to you! ronald.

From the Flay.com comments on the OpenEXR Loader/saver. Ronald Knol wrote the plugin.

Regards
Matt

smok3
11-24-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
The import works good, but have you tried to open a EXR rendered in LW and saved in LW in Photoshop... it looks overexposed.....

Beam why dont you just try it ?

Hervé i have no luck either, seems like there is no 96bit info in there, actually it looks like this is a 24 bit image in openexr container...

any ideas on what i might be doing wrong?

tia

LWD
11-24-2003, 12:15 PM
EXR carries extra gamma data that gives you a wider range of exposure adjustment. More importantly it carries spec/fresnel/diffusion/luminance/...etc as bundled channels that compositors can tap into for added flexibility.

EXR rocks.

Freak
11-24-2003, 06:26 PM
Cool a fully Floating Point Workspace between DF, and LW...

Also a 64Bit codec similar to Microcosm is now available for free
it's a 16BPC RGBA lossless codec, large file size, but no quality loss.

http://www.digitalanarchy.com/micro/micro_none16.html