PDA

View Full Version : Mac interface vs Windows interface

Boris Goreta
03-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Me likes the font from mac interface, it is antialiased and better looking. I also like white boxes with numbers in it. Can I set up my LW to look like that in Windows ?

See attached image:

Boris Goreta
03-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Why are values in boxes always typed blue in windows ?

Steamthrower
03-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Apparently ClearType was originally intended for laptop screens only, and this was back when LCD screens were pretty poor quality. That doesn't justify having it look so crappy, but ClearType just hurts my eyes if I turn it on. Makes me think that I need to get contacts.

I actually don't think that the Mac way of antialiasing everything is so hot. I wish, sometimes, that I could turn it off. Sometimes it makes reading small text pretty difficult and the AA size cutoff option doesn't always work.

Lightwolf
03-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Windows has ClearType, but I'm not sure what monkey decided that using RGB colour patterning to smooth screen fonts was a good idea.
I'm not sure why they didn't go with regular antialisaing, like in OSX.

ClearType is optimized for TFTs, which build pixels out of RGB patterns to start with.
Basically, ClearType is screen optimized, OSX tries to AA fonts to look like they're printed... whixh may or may not make sense on a screen (on disadvantage of that is the varying line width of text).

I find ClearType to be a lot more pleasant to look at, but ymmv.

On a perfectly sharp TFT, ClearType has very noticeable colour artifacts on certain text/background colour combinations.
Have you tweaked it to fit the RGB pattern of your TFT?

Cheers,
Mike

Boris Goreta
03-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Can I have aa fonts in LW on Windows ? Can I change interface font ?

SP00
03-25-2008, 11:15 AM
I really don't like the anti-aliasing on text unless its on a PDF document, or anything the is scaled from normal view size. I usually go to my sys perference on Leopard and turn the start anti-aliasing on font size 12 or great, instead of the default 4. Anti-aliasing is great for larger text, but our screen resolution is preventing smaller text from looking blurry with it on. This is why LCD resolution still has a long way to go.

archijam
03-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Me likes the font from mac interface, it is antialiased and better looking. I also like white boxes with numbers in it. Can I set up my LW to look like that in Windows ?

See attached image:
Hey! That's my screen :D ..

j's laptop