PDA

View Full Version : edge highlighting

adailide
03-24-2008, 10:11 PM
I am doing some work with furniture manufacturers and they have sample models that contain some sort of edge highlighting that I am to match.

I do my modeling in CAD programs, import a DXF. everything is good. If I go into the surface editor, there is my model surface. Now if I go into the sample model file, in the surface editor there is a surface name of "edge" as well as the model surface.

How do I repeat this process with my model?
Or is it in the import process where this could occur?

If I go into detail>add edges, I see I have edges, but how do I highlight them?

I hope this is enough input, I am sure this is a simple thing I am overlooking.
Thanks for any help out there

JeffrySG
03-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Adam, is this an edge highlight in the final render? Can you post a screen grab of what you are trying to match?

adailide
03-25-2008, 09:08 PM
find image attached:
their sample model with edge highlighting is on the left, my new model is on the right
I use Lightwave 8.5

JeffrySG
03-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Some other people will probably have some more/better help, but you might be able to achieve that using some of the toon shaders available?

adailide
03-26-2008, 10:11 PM
I find that I can change the object properties > edges
I can edit the edge properties of the object

but then i try to save out the object and those changes are not saved in the LWO file.

I am getting very frustrated because this is so simple, but so difficult.

JeffrySG
03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Are you saving all objects in Layout when you save the file? Not sure if that will keep that setting with the object or not. It is possible those settings only get saved with the LWS files. I'm not really sure to be honest.

adailide
03-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I realized it after the fact
I was in Layout trying to save updates to an OBJECT.
Obviously those settings wont save.

I got additional input from the client
"A separate Layer called Edge:
The previous modeler used a CURV type polygon for the edge lines:
From the lightwave docs:
A list of polygons for the current layer. Possible polygon types include:
FACE
"Regular" polygons, the most common.
CURV
Catmull-Rom splines. These are used during modeling and are currently ignored by the renderer. "

I have no idea, and this tiny little problem is really backing up my efficiency. The models work great in their program, but wanting these edge highlights has totally stopped production. Not good.

Surrealist.
03-28-2008, 12:25 AM
For something like this you could probably get the effect pretty easy. In Layout go to Object properties and set the edges to Sharp Edges. If this is not sufficient for you, for each edge you want a highlight just give it a different surface name and use Surface Borders.

adailide
03-28-2008, 07:07 AM
I had no problem finding a way to accomplish this task in layout, but what I needed was the outlining to happen in Modeler, and be saved with the OBJECT.

Needless to say, I ended up going back into my CAD program, creating a new layer called "edges" and traced my model. Then when imported in Modeler I used a black color to highlight it. This is the easiest way for simple models, not sure it will be as easy once the models become more complex.

Thanks for all that had input, hopefully the client will be happy with the model.

Giacomo99
03-28-2008, 07:07 AM
I was in Layout trying to save updates to an OBJECT.
Obviously those settings wont save.

Um...you are aware of the existence of File--Save--Save All Objects in the Layout pull-down menus...right? That command saves any changes made to all objects in the current scene.

adailide
03-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Um...you are aware of the existence of File--Save--Save All Objects in the Layout pull-down menus...right? That command saves any changes made to all objects in the current scene.

If you are in layout and make changes in layout to an object, they do not necessarily save all the info to the actual OBJECT. Believe me, I tried that, closed out the scene, reloaded the newly resaved object, and then opened the object back up finding the changes I just made missing.

Surrealist.
03-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Oh OK now I get it. Sorry, You mean you want that saved as embedded into the object. One way to do that would have been a UV map. Perhaps some kind of surface baking of a shader to the UV Map also. You are totally correct. The edges will not be saved with the object. It has to be some kind of surface attribute. Uh.... just as Jeffery pointed out earlier.

Skonk
03-29-2008, 07:59 AM

The edges property is a layout only thing and is stored in the scene file not the model, so saving the objects wont have helped him.

What he could have done though is selected the points around the edges of the object 2 points at a time and hit P to create a 2 point polygon, once this has been done all the way around the 2 point polygons could be given a surface name and color.