PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Certification

WesM
07-18-2003, 11:40 AM
Hi,
I am wanting to start a production/training facility in my home town. I live in Louisville Kentucky and there's not much training offered here.
I found out that some companies offer certification in their software. I know that apple has certification for their pro apps and Discreet offers certification. I was wandering if Newtek offers any kind of certification in Lightwave. Also, I was wanting to find out what the requirements would be to become a Newtek Authorized Instructor.

Thanks a lot,

Wes

dablan
07-18-2003, 12:51 PM
You should email NewTek (perhaps William Vaughn) about becoming a certified instructor.

As for getting certified, I'm not sure where things stand with many training facilities now, as things have changed over the past few years.

At AGA Digital Studios, Inc. in Chicago, we are an authorized training facility, and can supply you with a signed certificate from both myself and NewTek once you finish our course.

Feel free to email me with questions at dablan at earthlink.net

However, a certification is only a sheet of paper. Many people (unless you're in school of some sort) don't even look at this. What they look at is your work. Your demo reel. Start learning LightWave. How? Easy, go to www.newtek.com and look at the tutorials they have on their site. Tons and tons of information. Start there. It's free.

Best of luck,
Dan Ablan
AGA Digital Studios, Inc.
www.3dgarage.com CD Courseware training

SplineGod
07-18-2003, 03:26 PM
Hey Wes,
I have training materials that you would be interested in.
My materials are recognized by Newtek. My Introduction to Lightwave Course was bundled in with Newteks educational promotion a few weeks ago and has received very good reviews from students.
Its very much geared towards getting people up and running in Lightwave very quickly and covers the 4 basic Lightwave "food groups" ie. Modeling, Texturing, Lighting and Animating. I find
that people tend to associate tools, tricks and techniques with a the sort of project you would find in the real world. Most people I run into feel they need to get up and running quickly.
I have well over an hour of free tutorials you can take a look at HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/sampler.htm) to give you a better idea of how and what I cover.
Ive been out that way with Lee Stranahan doing many of the Newtek sponsored Lightwave Tours.
You can see what I have at http://www.3dtrainingonline.com

Stranahan
07-18-2003, 10:58 PM

dablan
07-18-2003, 11:15 PM
Amazing.

SplineGod
07-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Hey Lee I can see your "point" :)

Stranahan
07-18-2003, 11:34 PM
Whew...

I posted something that wasn't relevant, and it won't let me erase it. That's all.

cgolchert
07-19-2003, 10:29 AM
Post removed.

SplineGod
07-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Chris I think your response is definately the LEAST relevant of the bunch. I think Chuck does a much better job of moderating then you do.
BTW Wes certification and all that is done via FXAcademy
at www.fxacademy.com. The courses we have are also recognized as legitimate by Newtek and students can receive Lightwave at the student price. The certificates are supplied just as Dan mentioned.
The Tour CDs we have are the SAME materials presented at the Lightwave World Wide Tour and Lightwave Next Dimension Tour, both of which were sponsored by Newtek.

cgolchert
07-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Post removed.

SplineGod
07-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Chris the important points here are:
Wes asked about Certification. Both Dan and myself mentioned that we do have certified training available if Wes needs training or is interested in training materials to use in his facility. How is my "jumping in" any different then Dan "jumping in" to mention he also sells courseware?
Dan also answered Wes regarding who to contact at Newtek to get information on certification. I dont think its necessary to repeat that part again. Other then mention William Vaughns name as a contact person I dont see too much difference between what Dan posted and I posted. I could also mention the importance of a demo reel but again, I think Dan covered that one pretty well too.
Lastly, you are not a moderator and are not in any postion to determine whos posts are relevant or not. I think Dans response is perfectly valid and non lethal. I felt that my response was in line with his question and certainly more in line with it then you popping up to whine about it on a regular basis.

SplineGod
07-19-2003, 02:37 PM
Chris,
My understanding is that the purpose of the forums is for user support. Informing someone of educational resources I think falls within the spirit of this forum. Dan, myself and others regularly post information about our courseware, CDs, books and other resources.
I dont think Im spamming and I dont think Dan is spamming. I dont think its your place to assume you know whats "best" for everyone on these forums. The majority of people seem to disagree with you. I also dont think most people like incessant whining either but you dont seem to empathize in that direction.

But anyways....
Wes, hopefully the information was useful, not too tart and not too spammy. :)

ned
07-19-2003, 02:52 PM
You guys who are supposed to be the trainers and moderators of this forum would serve your purpose much better by not getting in these pissing contests every few days.

Set an example, please.

archiea
07-20-2003, 08:21 PM
I'm bored, so please, piss away....

:D

WesM
07-21-2003, 07:35 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice and information! It points me in the right direction.
Also, thanks for pointing me to the person I need to speak with at Newtek.
I am going to look into all of the information provided. I am really excited about getting a training facility started in my area. I appreciate the info!

Thanks,

Wes