PDA

View Full Version : Re-setting Bone Pivot

AnimateurEnfeu
03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
I've been using LW on Mac for three years, with previous experience using WaveFront /Maya (several years rigging & animating human figures for an arcade fighting game.)

Does anyone know of a tutorial for fine-tuning the joints of a skeleton of BONES in lightwave 8.5?

The specific problem is that the "compass rose" for a given element tends to have one of its control circles set from the outset very close to the plane of one of the other control circles, so that you get a sort of "gimble lock" with even a slight rotation of the joint, because two control circles end up lying in the same plane.

I will keep searching, but I seem to be one of two LW users in the Hampton Roads area!

thanks for any information you can provide.

evenflcw
03-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Two options.

Use Record Pivot Rotation or give the offending bone a parent and rotate the parent to set the initial rotation of the offending bone (which will "inherit" the rotation of it's parent, so it no longer needs to be rotated itself, it can have zero rotation applied from the outset).

evenflcw
03-24-2008, 12:58 PM
A very trivial example of the second approach, just incase I was unclear.

DeepThroat
03-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Two options.

Use Record Pivot Rotation or give the offending bone a parent and rotate the parent to set the initial rotation of the offending bone (which will "inherit" the rotation of it's parent, so it no longer needs to be rotated itself, it can have zero rotation applied from the outset).

The second way is long better. Never use Record Pivot Rotation....forget it exists!

SplineGod
03-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Record pivot rotation works fine in most cases. Its rare that it needs to be used. Sometimes it can cause issues with LWs native targetting or expressions but doesnt seem to have a problem with Relativity targetting or expressions.

Giacomo99
03-28-2008, 06:15 AM
I just want to take a moment to plug Jonny Gorden's "Lightwave Cartoon Character Creation, Vol. 2" book. It's been enormously helpful to me with setup issues like the one you describe--far and away the best resource out there for beginners learning to rig.

evenflcw
03-28-2008, 06:26 AM
A tip straight from Jonny Gorden:
http://books.google.se/books?id=czrtfbzjQ7oC&pg=PA383&lpg=PA383&dq=jonny+gorden+pivot+rotation&source=web&ots=uPToZFLvVf&sig=mxSnswk91gO7uYHOu8gnF5sbkBs&hl=sv

The whole bloody book is up there! Is it just aggressive marketing, google taking their liberty or plain illegal?

SplineGod
03-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Im going to lean towards plain illegal.