PDA

View Full Version : What's the trick to modeling from an image?

IMI
03-23-2008, 11:17 AM
I've got a face I'm trying to recreate, have front, profile and top and bottom images, but putting the images in the background in Modeler is just... irritating.
I know how to get it in there and I know how to adjust brightness and contrast.
And I even know how to save the viewports out as cfg files. :D

But, is there a way to bring the BG images more to the forefront and make them semi- transparent? Or something. I need something better than what I have going. I can't see my images well in shaded or texture mode and wireframe causes me to often lose where I'm at in the topology. Hiding the BG polys is no good as I need to adjust from all angles and I don't want to have to keep hiding and unhiding.
I tried mapping the images to simple one poly planes, but it's hard to avoid selecting them when I'm trying to model on my model.
(Would be cool if there were a way to "lock" an object or a selection so it can't be moved or altered, without putting into a separate layer)

Are there any special techniques for doing this sort of thing, or am I just going to have to deal with it as-is?
Thanks. :)

SplineGod
03-23-2008, 12:42 PM
I guess it depends alot on what youre modeling. I use background images quite a bit when modeling heads if the head reference is good. I do what youve said, fiddle with the contrast and such so I can see the splines.

hrgiger
03-23-2008, 12:53 PM
The controls for adjusting the background in LW are fairly limited. I would adjust them in Photoshop before you load them into Lightwave.

Nangleator
03-23-2008, 12:59 PM
You can always create a cube around your model, delete the sides that aren't useful, and map your images to the remaining walls. That way, you'll have your reference images even when you go full screen perspective.

Of course, you'll have to model with Texture on.

IMI
03-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. :)
The cube idea sounds good and I suppose I could just keep adjusting transparency in the surface editor for one or the other.
But also, it's interesting what can be done with a transparency channel in there.

medicalart
03-23-2008, 05:56 PM
You can also lock your plane or cube objects by opening the scene editor and clicking the column to the left of your object. (There's a little lock icon at the top of the column.)

othornton
03-24-2008, 10:07 AM
But, is there a way to bring the BG images more to the forefront and make them semi- transparent? Or something. I need something better than what I have going. I can't see my images well in shaded or texture mode and wireframe causes me to often lose where I'm at in the topology. Hiding the BG polys is no good as I need to adjust from all angles and I don't want to have to keep hiding and unhiding.

I use the Hidden Line mode for viewports when modeling from images and use a smooth or wireframe shaded view for my perspective window to check topology. I guess my mind-set is that 2d wireframe or hidden line works for general shape layout but perspective works best for being able to check form. The viewport settings let you set up independent center, zoom, visibility, etc for any window. Heck, enough with the descriptions, here's a screenshot:

Works for me anyway. Using the views seen here I can see that even though the flow looks right in the front and side, the perspective shows a need for more sag in the cheeks while the top reveals how thin his ears are.
Hope this helps.

-Oliver

medicalart
03-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Turning off the grid would reduce the visual clutter, too.

Chilton
03-28-2008, 07:43 PM
On the Mac, you can set the opacity of the Modeler window so you can see behind it to whatever reference material you're working on.

It's of little help to the pros, but for doodlers like me, I can just adjust the zoom on the background image in Preview, set the opacity to 90 for the window, and I'm good.

-Chilton