PDA

View Full Version : video calibration issue

kcpaul
03-22-2008, 09:12 AM
We run about a 3 1/2 hour live production each week. Before the show we white balance the 3 jvc dv500 cameras and then place them on bars and auto calc in the toaster to 75% bars. Over the last month about half way through the show the toaster looses calibration and we see blue being introduced. By putting the cameras back on bars and re calibrating to 75% bars it goes away. Any suggestions??? Nothing changes on the cameras or stage lighting. And we don't have to re white balance to fix it. :help:

Tod Cole
03-22-2008, 09:11 PM
We run about a 3 1/2 hour live production each week. Before the show we white balance the 3 jvc dv500 cameras and then place them on bars and auto calc in the toaster to 75% bars. Over the last month about half way through the show the toaster looses calibration and we see blue being introduced. By putting the cameras back on bars and re calibrating to 75% bars it goes away. Any suggestions??? Nothing changes on the cameras or stage lighting. And we don't have to re white balance to fix it. :help:
kcpaul sounds like you have a bad card. i would call tek support monday.

kcpaul
03-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Looks like the problems are getting worse. Now anytime I switch between 2 sources on the preview bus my calibrations go very dark or very bright. The proc amp still holds the same numbers and I have to manually adjust the brightness and contrast.

nepvetm1
03-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Are you running VT4 or VT5? Under VT4 we had an issue where the calibration wasn't holding, even though the numbers stayed the same. Turned out to be a DLL issue. Once we got the updated DLL from newtek, everything worked fine. Don't remember offhand which one it is tho...

kcpaul
03-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Running vt5. I spent about an hour on the phone with tech support. They thought it might be the sx-8. They setup the rma for the card and the sx-8. I got it back from newtek with a note that said they could not duplicate the issue. So they replaced the card and said my sx-8 was okay. 1 problem now my sx-8 they sent back to me is doa. I just sent it back to them to look at. Apears the rma folks and tech support do not talk at all and no one leaves notes. Everytime I call in I have to completely rehash everything. The problem was happening every single time I have a source live and one on preview. I then switch to another source on the preview and the check another source on preview will trigger it. For example camera 1 is live, camera 2 in on preview. Didn't like camera 2's shot so selected camera 3 on the rs-8 to preview still not what I wanted so I went to camera 4 on the preview. Loved camera 4's shot and sent it live. As soon as I do that routine cameras 2 and three will go to cr&p. Either very light or dark and I have to adjust them in the proc amp. It will happen everytime regardless of the sources i am using. Can be cameras, dvd player,ddr you name it.

CreatvGnius
03-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Running vt5. ... so I went to camera 4 on the preview. Loved camera 4's shot and sent it live. As soon as I do that routine cameras 2 and three will go to cr&p. Either very light or dark and I have to adjust them in the proc amp. It will happen everytime regardless of the sources i am using. Can be cameras, dvd player,ddr you name it.

You've got me wondering, KC: Have you removed the RS-8 Remote Switcher from equation -- just to totally rule out the possibility that something might well be awry with it? Let us know...and while you're at it, let some key individual at NewTek know of your seeming observation regarding RMA folks and Tech Support possibly not communicating. There likely are systems in place there, to prevent that kind of oxymoronic "quality/process management autonomy".
-PeterG

kcpaul
03-28-2008, 04:24 AM
Yep removed it as well.

vanderwielen
03-28-2008, 01:53 PM
a couple of thoughts. since you were white balancing your cameras, i'd assume they were not left in full automatic control. Canons as an example, will change the white balance setting if left in full automatic.

you did mention that you are running vt5, but are you using a vt-pro card or the older vt card? did this problem just start happening? have you removed all other video sources connected to your sx-8 as a test? i had a similar problem that was related to running Y/C into the same sx-8 row as my composite camera...though i was doing it correctly.

CreatvGnius
03-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Over the last month about half way through the show the toaster looses calibration and we see blue being introduced.
Hi, KC. A more queries for you:

1. How many hard drives and how many video cards are in your VT machine?

2. What are the power capacity ratings for the power supply, in said PC?

3. Have you been employing a decently rated UPS/Voltage Regulator/Surge Protector for your live shoots - especially employing one on your VT host PC?

4. Is it possible the available AC power on the electrical circuit that your VT is on, is being taxed by relatively high current draw by, say -- halogen lighting, or some such demanding thing(s)? I'd check into the electrical infrastructure, if I were you.

I'll assume the ambient temperature inside the VT computer's case has been kept well in check. :hey:
-PeterG

kcpaul
03-29-2008, 03:11 PM
a couple of thoughts. since you were white balancing your cameras, i'd assume they were not left in full automatic control. Canons as an example, will change the white balance setting if left in full automatic.

you did mention that you are running vt5, but are you using a vt-pro card or the older vt card? did this problem just start happening? have you removed all other video sources connected to your sx-8 as a test? i had a similar problem that was related to running Y/C into the same sx-8 row as my composite camera...though i was doing it correctly.

The cameras are not left under full control. We are running a vt-pro card. The problem began about 2 months ago and yes we have eliminated all other sources.

kcpaul
03-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi, KC. A more queries for you:

1. How many hard drives and how many video cards are in your VT machine?

2. What are the power capacity ratings for the power supply, in said PC?

3. Have you been employing a decently rated UPS/Voltage Regulator/Surge Protector for your live shoots - especially employing one on your VT host PC?

4. Is it possible the available AC power on the electrical circuit that your VT is on, is being taxed by relatively high current draw by, say -- halogen lighting, or some such demanding thing(s)? I'd check into the electrical infrastructure, if I were you.

I'll assume the ambient temperature inside the VT computer's case has been kept well in check. :hey:
-PeterG

3 hard drives. 1 ide and 2 scsi drives stripped. 655w power supply. Ac power is okay. No problems no spikes. Temp in the case is well within range.

CreatvGnius
03-29-2008, 09:35 PM
3 hard drives. 1 ide and 2 scsi drives stripped. 655w power supply. Ac power is okay. No problems no spikes. Temp in the case is well within range.

Since the VT card was recently checked, and no problems were found, there's good reason to review carefully, some critical details, relative to the environment in which your VT and SX combo reside. Hence, this more thorough-going query. Hopefully, it'll aid us in shedding more light on your current situation, with a view to finding a fix, KC.

1. What's the temp inside the case, and how are you making the determination that "its well within range"?

2. What "range" of ambient temperature do you believe is acceptable for healthy VT[5] operation? I utterly forgot what that number, in degrees Fahrenheit should be. (read: mental block)

3. How many fans are in the case, and are they all working?

4. What, in degrees fahrenheit, do you believe is an acceptable ambient temperature in the case, for your VT[4] Pro card, and graphics card?

5. How are you making the determination that the ambient temp within the case is indeed "within an acceptable range" for the health said cards: visual reading from within the system BIOS, or via thermometer, or...?

6. Does your graphics card have an on-board fan? (If so, have you opened the case, to confirm that said fan is still working?)

7. Hopefully, all fans are installed correctly -- so the front fan is drawing cooler air inside, and the rear-facing fan(s) and side-firing fan, if any, are exhausting warm air out. Excluding possible fan(s) on the processor and graphics card, how many fans are in the PC case?

8. Since unprotected AC power most certainly consists of potentially dangerous components such as line noise, spikes, surges, brown-out conditions, et al, this would be good to answer: Are you employing an acceptably-rated AC Voltage regulator/Surge Supression/Noise Filter device?

9. If so, what is its make and model number?

10. What is its load capacity rating in VA and/or in Watts?

11. How are you determining that AC power is [clean], unless you're employing a device that takes care of that?

12. Have you checked the AC power source for wiring integrity (i.e., proper "hot" vs. "neutral" polarity and grounding)?

13. This one missed being answered as well: Are there other appliances on that branch of AC circuitry that have a high current demand (such as halogen quartz lighting, or worse -- an air conditioner or some such thing?)

14. Have your ruled out the possibility that the cause of trouble is a corrupt file on the hard disk, relating to your VT Configuration?

-PeterG

CreatvGnius
03-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Questions 1 and 4 above are to be disregarded. They were not intended to be part of the final edit of the preceding post.
-PeterG

PIZAZZ
03-30-2008, 12:49 AM
In my experience, it is many times the simple things that get overlooked.

Are you using a HD15 to HD15 cable to connect from the Audio port on the VTPro card to the SX8??

When using a VTPro card and an older SX8 you do NOT use the HD15 to dual 1/8" min plug cable for audio.

Check that cable and possibly replace it to eliminate a bad cable.

kcpaul
03-31-2008, 07:05 AM
Tech support said they believed it to be my sx-8. They sent me another one and after our 4 hour live production on sunday we did not have any issues. So far so good. My fingers are crossed at this point.