PDA

View Full Version : What is TriCaster's value?

ted
03-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Without giving away any of your secrets, :) I'd like to hear what you are charging and for what services?

As this part of our industry is growing so fast, I'm developing a rate for services.
I'm not wanting to give my secrets away either, but I'm going to post our rates to see what others think and how close you can, or should be!

For recording 2-3 camera productions I use our $225.00 per hour rate.
I then add about $75 per hour for the switcher/TriCaster operator.
Then $50 per hour per cameraman.
Additional PA's are $25 per hour.

I have been adding our $225 rate for set-up and tear-down. But I might drop to 1/2 rate for that and I'd still be doing OK.

If the client wants streaming I don't see adding but 10% or so. Plus the server services with a mark-up.
Or preferably let them take that part themselves for billing and in case that end of it goes south.
By the way, have any of you had that happen?

I've not lost a single gig at this rate and clients are happy.
Obviously there is a lot more involved doing live productions including support gear and planning. Fortunately I cut my teeth on live sports/events. I'm enjoying doing it again.

So be honest and tell me I'm about right. :)
I think these services are worthy of this type of rate.

amospro
03-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Ted,

I don't have a tricaster yet and have not developed any packages yet but I do AV proposals on a daily basis. I am writing this out as an example of what I would do. My rule of thumb is to price out each piece of gear to be used plus the labor it takes to set up, operate and strike. Forexample.

BROADCAST PACKAGE:
$500 ~ (2) Canon XL1s Video Cameras
$900 ~ Broadcast Unit (TC)
$100 ~ (1) Video Switcher (VM)
$160 ~ (2) Microphone Audio "Capture" Package (Not PA system)
$75 ~ (2) Stage Lights
---------------------
1735 ~ Sub Total

LABOR:
(6) Hours Setup: 3 techs at 2 hours each
(9) Hours Operating: 3 techs at 3 hours each
(6) Hours Strike: 3 techs at 2 hours each
-------------------
1260 ~ (21) Hours labor at $60 each

EXTRAS:
Pre-Production Video (building overlays, presentation videos, etc) but I may include X amount of hours in package
Video Screens (Any Size)
Video/Data Projectors (Any Size)
Webcasting
PA Sound Systems
Web on Demand File (wmv, mov, etc)

Just an idea for here. I would probably discount the until at first to gain a little market share. I have also thought about giving Educational, Government and Non-Profit discounts.

amospro
03-22-2008, 11:18 AM
my rule of thumb on equipment cost is about 10% of purchase price but often consider depreciation into it. Also, I wouldn't do anything less than a 2 camera shoot. Otherwise it will look like home footage.

ted
03-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Wow, I would have thought there would be much more discussion on this. :question:
Maybe people are afraid to discuss thier rates, or maybe it was just a busy Easter weekend.

Either way, you don't have to discuss your speciic rates. But am I right that a TriCaster production deserves more than a simple "shoot rate" ? I would certainly hope so. And by my clients reaction to the few projects we've done, they feel comfortable with our rates.
What do you guys think? Even if you haven't done many projects.

CreatvGnius
03-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Wow, I would have thought there would be much more discussion on this. :question:
Maybe people are afraid to discuss thier rates, or maybe it was just a busy Easter weekend.

Either way, you don't have to discuss your speciic rates. But am I right that a TriCaster production deserves more than a simple "shoot rate" ? I would certainly hope so. And by my clients reaction to the few projects we've done, they feel comfortable with our rates.
What do you guys think? Even if you haven't done many projects.

Seems to me, Amospro has provided some really useful guidance on the subject. Our experience doesn't relate well to the market, per se -- since we deal with a few churches with which we have developed very close relationships.
-PeterG

mctv
05-04-2008, 03:16 PM
We start at $750 for four hours, includes two people, two PTZ cameras and one manned camera. End delivery is either DVD or SVHS or Mini-DV as requested by customer. I'm looking for a way to establish rates for streaming.
Randy Sahae
www.mctv.tv

ted
05-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks Randy. Maybe I'll chat with you more offline. But that's less than our normal 2 man, 1 camera shoot rate.
Is that rate more then you get for standard shoots? I would assume whatever your rate is, a TriCaster gig should be 25-50% higher.
You're saving the client a bundle on post don't forget! :D
Since every job's set-up will be slightly different, do you charge about the same for set-up and teardown?

This might be a better way to ask what others are charging. How much more than single camera productions?

mctv
05-09-2008, 10:46 AM
We specialize in producing meetings for government, quasi-government and non-profit organizations so our rates are commensurate with that type of event.

We also do single camera taping with graphics (Flypack I) as well as Tricaster (Flypack II) plus we have a 5 camera TV truck with generator which starts at $1,000 equipment charge, plus labor (concerts, football, large venue needing self contained power.)

We have additional services and equipment that may add to the cost, for instance wireless microphones, teleprompter, as you all probably do, however I think the big difference is that we are quasi-government and we do not do commercial productions.

Randy

ted
05-10-2008, 12:48 AM
The most amazing part of TriCaster is the number of ways people are using it to make money.
I'm still trying to find out how to market it. Each client I've exposed our TriCaster to has come up with different ways to use it. I'm still trying to land some of those "great ideas" though. :D

GLPVideo
05-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Ted
I have packaged it as a turnkey system, choose how many camera coverage you like and pay that price. They get the Tricaster, an operator, and audio tech, and cameras with ops. Everything else is extra, Streaming, projectors, etc.
I'd be happy to talk to ya, it's always good to hear what works for others.
Dow

ted
05-22-2008, 10:55 AM
GLP, I've got a TriCaster project that we are finishing today. I'll try and get with you later today or tomorrow.
Yeh, it's always a good idea to network with others because that's how you learn to master the trade.
TTYL.

BELLE1RaceComm
05-23-2008, 02:00 PM
So we it be fare to charge about $3500 for:

3 HD Cameras,
1 Tricaster and the operator
and Pre-Production Graphics
along with show coordination.

Im kinda sketchy on the charge for HD Cameras. Is there a baseline rate for these.

ted
05-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Since our daily rate is $1,800 for me and at least one more PA, I've set a daily rate of double that for a TriCaster gig. Plus $25-$50 per extra operator.
For this I would include all 3 of our camera's, lighting gear, 2 wireles mikes etc.
We then charge our normal rate for edit time.

The TriCaster jobs we are pressing to DVD today only needed about 3 additional hours of post for two 1 & 1/2 hour video's. Most of that was adding GFX here and there and between segments and making an open and close.
But yesterday the client made about 3 more hours of changes. He didnt mind the rate at all. Neither did we. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your input here as many of us are creating an industry from the ground up. The last thing we want to do is give it away just so we land every job. I think it's wiser to make a fair profit and have some time for play! :thumbsup:

BELLE1RaceComm
05-23-2008, 03:42 PM
So we it be fare to charge about $3500 for:

3 HD Cameras,
1 Tricaster and the operator
and Pre-Production Graphics
along with show coordination.

Im kinda sketchy on the charge for HD Cameras. Is there a baseline rate for these.

oops..Sorry for the Misspelling

Sou would it be.....

ted
05-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Two of our cameras are HD, but we don't charge more for HD on any job except for our first HD job we did. Especially TriCaster jobs since we can't deliver HD. :)
I do know of some people that charge extra for HD though, so it's an open question. I constantly weigh this issue though.

BELLE1RaceComm
05-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks Ted.