PDA

View Full Version : Extender plus not extending

Goop
03-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Moving on through these tutorials and doing what I see to learn the keys and such... I have been trying the hard modeling tutorial section where Mr. Vaughan creates threads "on a knife handle". I've done this many of times over just to come to the point of failure when time to use extender plus. I hit E for extender plus and an hour glass appears, returning me back to my wand in edges mode. I'm lost at what to do here, or if maybe this is a glitch, I don't know. Please Help, and thanks for taking the time to view.:help:

markschum
03-21-2008, 09:35 AM
as I understand Extender , it simply creates new geometry exactly where the old was , and you need to use move, or stretch, etc to position it where you want.

Goop
03-21-2008, 09:53 AM
And it looks to be that your right... I guess I should read the manuel more too, I like most men don't like to read unless forced to, but any who.... The thing that still has me puzzled though, like in that tutorial... Mr Vaughan takes an un-level end and exstends to a straight even end. When I hit e for extender plus the windows hourglass appears for a good bit a time, returning me back to my wand... then I hit T to move or drag, but, it just drags the same jagged edge. I can't level it out... I guess, it looks like E plus isn't activating maybe...Hmmm I don't know. Thanks for your time and input..:agree:

tyrot
03-21-2008, 09:57 AM
dear goop

as mark mentioned Extender plus doesnt move geometry for you...you must move it... I use it in point mode and it fills my Modeler life everyday.. for making floor plans...etc

extender plus + Snap Move(sp move from pictrix ) + SP_polygon (from pictrix) = almost every floor plan you want

Best

Goop
03-21-2008, 10:33 AM
as mark mentioned Extender plus doesnt move geometry for you...you must move it... I use it in point mode and it fills my Modeler life everyday.. for making floor plans...etc

extender plus + Snap Move(sp move from pictrix ) + SP_polygon (from pictrix) = almost every floor plan you want

That worked a lot better, yet I get one poly that is darker in color than the rest... Do you ever find this? and if so, what do you do to fix? Thanks for your help:thumbsup:

Goop
03-21-2008, 10:35 AM
never mind... once I hit tab it looks fabulous... thanks bro... I'm gonna go glue my hair back in and get back to it... Thank you both Cheers

markschum
03-21-2008, 11:05 AM
For evening up an irregular end I would use the stretch tool with MOde:Action Center Mouse . The poits wont go past the mouse position but if you keep pulling them all the selected points will line up. Obviously use whatever view is gonna line them up the way you want . If you want to make it perfect , go into INFO and set the x, y, or z value . The different color may be indicating non-planar. Look in the statistics panel and see how many you have .

Goop
03-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Kewl... I will..Thanks again.

Goop
03-21-2008, 12:03 PM
To extend an odd shaped end to a flush end ready for capping... After hitting e for extender plus, then hit h for stretch. I so happy.... :thumbsup:

markschum
03-21-2008, 11:05 PM
cool, the little videos in the forums are worth having a look at , I learned some stuff I hadnt known , and it does make life a little easier .

Xennon
09-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Ok - I know this is a very old thread but tonight I too ran into the exact same issue with the same tutorial. The problem (apart from me being a noob) is the fact that the video fails to tell you stuff like the Action Centre mode setting .. mine was set to centre selection (from previous playing around in another video) ... as a result I was getting very odd things happening. LW has a better memory than me and while it remembers settings, I do not and they invariably cause me no end of frustration.

Furthermore, elsewhere in the same threads video, the author used the edge bevel tool using the numeric panel - but - what he didn't tell you was that a few of the other tool options in the panel apart from the one he was showing us (in my case) were very different from his. I only noticed this by pausing the video to check his settings. Changing mine to match made it work just fine.

Moral of the story? ... if you're following a tutorial video and weird things happen that don't match the video, check your settings that might affect the tools you're using. Now i know this is not always easy for a noob but 90% of the time I'm sure that will be the fault. I'm learning this lesson the hard way. It would be nice if the tutors mention this at the start of each "beginner" video so we can follow along or at least know where to look if things don't go right.

... just my 2c worth.