PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Question

jdsax
03-20-2008, 05:16 PM
I created a scene and used radiosity. While I liked the result, it took over half an hour to render. I got around that by rendering just the room and using the resulting image as a backdrop. I put the character back into the scene and placed a "wall" directly in front of it and tried with radiosity again. This still gave a good result and reduced the render time to 6 minutes. I need to know if anyone knows how to set up lighting that would have the same effect on the character instead of using radiosity. I have tried using an area light but it doesn't look nearly the same -- I know, I know, that's because it isn't the same but it's what I tried first.

I've attached an image so you can see what I'm going for. Thank you.

Mitja
03-21-2008, 06:19 AM
Pretty simple: you have to use more than 1 light, actually 1 for each "diffusing" geometry. In your case, I would place 1 aera light (greenish colour) behind and 1 above the character, then 1 for pavement (similar colour of your floor), and finally some (1-2) key lights (neutal color) in front of the character. Then you play with intensity.
Basically you have to mimic the bunces of light.

jdsax
03-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Thank you, I shall try that. I knew somebody would have tried this before and save me from banging my head while I reinvent the wheel. :beerchug:

Iain
03-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Look for Lightbitch on flay.com

jdsax
03-21-2008, 05:58 PM
I have tried the first suggestion, I'm still tweaking but I have attached a sample. My render time is down to 1m 47s, which is a great improvement.

I have downloaded and installed Lightbitch but haven't delved into it yet.

Thank you both.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Mitja
03-22-2008, 07:26 AM
And maybe you should disable the "Affect specular" in the light prop panel too for all the "fill" lights.
Nice test anyway! It reminds me of all the efforts of the pre-radiosity era!

jdsax
03-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Wow! I had considered this closed and checked back just for grins. Lucky I did 'cause here you are back with More Good Stuff I Didn't Know. Thanks! :thumbsup:

jdsax
03-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Sigh, I also just discovered that if I lower the radiosity setting from the default 4x12 to 2x6, my render time improves to being slightly faster than the multi-light setup. Wish I'd tried that first but I still got useful knowledge so I come out ahead anyway.

Mitja
03-22-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm glad I can be of service, somehow!