PDA

View Full Version : FPrime 3.2 & Alpha

firstsingle
03-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi Guys. I need a little help. For some reason FPrime is not including an alpha channel for me. I've chosen TGA as my file format and checked +Alpha. I'm using a SkyWarp as an enviroment to light the scene but don't want it included in the final image. When I load the Image in PhotoShop CS2 to use as a Background the bloody sky is still there. When I open the same image in Preview, an image viewer for Mac, the sky is gone just like i want! Am I missing something? It's set to Surface Opacity in the Surface settings. Should I be picking another file format?
What gives?

Here is a small version of the scene.

By the way I'm using the FPrime render mode not the previewer. The final Image is 3264*2448

3dworks
03-20-2008, 05:22 PM
did you check for the alpha channel in the channel tab in PS? if mac preview opened them fine the alpha should be present. sorry if this maybe is already obvious to you ;)

markus

Hi Guys. I need a little help. For some reason FPrime is not including an alpha channel for me. I've chosen TGA as my file format and checked +Alpha. I'm using a SkyWarp as an enviroment to light the scene but don't want it included in the final image. When I load the Image in PhotoShop CS2 to use as a Background the bloody sky is still there. When I open the same image in Preview, an image viewer for Mac, the sky is gone just like i want! Am I missing something? It's set to Surface Opacity in the Surface settings. Should I be picking another file format?
What gives?

Here is a small version of the scene.

By the way I'm using the FPrime render mode not the previewer. The final Image is 3264*2448

monovich
03-20-2008, 05:22 PM
don't you have to use the embedded alpha channel and cut it out yourself in Photoshop? Preview takes the alpha and uses it automatically, Photoshop does not.

firstsingle
03-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Oh, Ok. I see the Alpha as a channel in photoshop. mononich, to use it to cut out the image I will have to look for a tutorial on that.

Thank you guys. Off I go to learn how to use photoshops embedded alpha's.

chikega
03-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Go to 'Select' > 'Load Selection...' and select your alpha channel from the drop down list.

Invert the alpha 'Select' > 'Inverse' to cut out the sky.

That's the basics, but you can control it more using Grow, Shrink Selection and the Matting function.

firstsingle
03-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Thank you Chikega.......off I go!

I'll let you know how it goes.

danielkaiser
03-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Isn't that part of the L.A. River?

firstsingle
03-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Isn't that part of the L.A. River?

Hey danielkaiser. It sure is. Someone I did a photo shoot on wanted the La River in the background. I liked this section so I modeled it. I'm from LA so I was happy to model it. Not many pictures of this section online. I saw this section in a music video by an artist named Lloyd.

firstsingle
03-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Go to 'Select' > 'Load Selection...' and select your alpha channel from the drop down list.

Invert the alpha 'Select' > 'Inverse' to cut out the sky.

That's the basics, but you can control it more using Grow, Shrink Selection and the Matting function.

Hahaha. Worked like a charm chikega. It's a shame I've never composited my own scenes. Gotta do it some times I guess:D

monovich
03-21-2008, 09:51 AM
a shortcut load the selection (for cutting out) to command-click the alpha channel on mac or control-click it in Windows. Try it, it'll change your life.

-sf

hunter
03-21-2008, 10:14 AM
You could also save out to a 32 bit PNG and it'll behave as you want it to.

emilc
03-21-2008, 10:26 AM
or tif...(32 bit)

danielkaiser
03-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey danielkaiser. It sure is. Someone I did a photo shoot on wanted the La River in the background. I liked this section so I modeled it. I'm from LA so I was happy to model it. Not many pictures of this section online. I saw this section in a music video by an artist named Lloyd.

I'm originally from Santa Ana and now live in the south, don't ask me why.

That structure also appears in Escape From New York and Gattaca.

firstsingle
03-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Really does change your life. Thanks monovich.

firstsingle
03-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm originally from Santa Ana and now live in the south, don't ask me why.

That structure also appears in Escape From New York and Gattaca.

Dude. I don't know. Why did we come to the south?
Gosh i miss the Ocean!

firstsingle
03-21-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm reading my Photoshop Manual more now:D