PDA

View Full Version : Any books about Lightwave's use in Star Trek?

Paul_Boland
03-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Was just wondering, are there any books out there that specifically cover the use of Lightwave in Star Trek?

pumeco
03-20-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure about books, but I have a LightWave video ready for upload which features many things. Among those things is little on LightWave being used in StartTrek. It's not an educational thing, only a promo, but it's a great video so keep your eyes peeled on the forum.

IMI
03-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Please tell me it's not narrated by Da*id Ha**elho**. ;)

pumeco
03-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Nah, he was probably too busy doing Knight Rider at the time this was made (1998 I believe).

It's a recording of a promotional VHS video NewTek sent me way back when I could only 'dream' of owning LightWave. Their promo worked on me only to an extent (I drooled, but could not afford at those 1990's prices). It's a really good video though, and the quality of work in it which was done in 6.5 makes you realize how powerful LightWave was even then, and how incredible it must be now.

IMI
03-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Sounds cool. I'd like to see that. :)

pumeco
03-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Yup, just waiting for Ben to sort me out an FTP password.
I doubt that'll be until he's done with the beta work on 9.5 though, so I'm not sure when it'll be viewable.

MachineClaw
03-20-2008, 07:25 PM
There was an old issue of NewTechniques magazine that covered Voyager landing in snow for the TV show, was done in LW.

This thread is a tutorial about lighting Voyager
http://www.menithings.com/main.php?action=how&how_id=14&manual=1

Not sure that's what your looking for.

JeffrySG
03-21-2008, 08:16 AM
This is a great tutorial about LW and Battlestar Galactica graphics....

http://www.battlestarvfx.com/bsg_tutorial_shotbreakoutandlighting.htm

Verlon
03-21-2008, 08:29 AM
for educational BSG related, I liked Kurv Studios "Project Viper" DVDs. Looks like JeffrySG did too :)

Paul_Boland
03-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks, folks, appreciate the feedback. Pumeco, looking forward to seeing that video, sounds interesting. MachineClaw, thanks for the magazine name (will go Google it soon) and thanks for the link. I do have that links webpage saved, it's a very interesting article. JeffrySC and Verlon, thanks very much for the BSG reference, much appreciated, however for what I want, I am specifically looking for Star Trek related stuff.

Dan Curry was the special effects guy for Star Trek TGF, DS9 and Voyager. Does anyone know if he uses these boards (I could drop him a PM) or if he ever released a book about his work in that field?

JeffrySG
03-22-2008, 07:05 PM
for educational BSG related, I liked Kurv Studios "Project Viper" DVDs. Looks like JeffrySG did too :)
lol, that wasn't done using their tutorial. Not in LW either... ;)

JeffrySG
03-22-2008, 07:06 PM
You might want to ask on the www.foundation3d.com boards or on www.scifi-meshes.com forums as well.

Paul_Boland
03-23-2008, 04:04 PM
You might want to ask on the www.foundation3d.com boards or on www.scifi-meshes.com forums as well.

Thanks.