PDA

View Full Version : Training material for a complete novice?

kopperdrake
03-20-2008, 10:32 AM
We're taking someone on who has experience with solid modelling but no experience with LightWave, does anyone who's had to learn LightWave from scratch (or had to train someone up) have any recommendations for training material that really helped you get to grips with how LightWave does stuff, quirks and all? I'm going to obviously help the chap learn it, but I'm so useless as I don' even know the menu layouts too well as I grew up with keyboard shortcuts over the years so find myself forgetting what it was like when you first stared at a blank modelling page! Quite daunting I imagine :D

Cesar Montero
03-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Kurv studios (http://www.kurvstudios.com/) is the best way to go. Even for experienced modelers the tutorials made by Larry Shultz will make you say "WTF, I have been doing this so complicated, and this is easier". Just be aware that some people will realize that it so simple, and eventually get pissed off with themselves. Give it a look, its full of really good material. You can also contact them and ask for what you need, and most likely they will help you out with a selection. Furthermore, they have also online training lessons and support. There is really no way to miss learning with them.

IMI
03-21-2008, 02:02 AM
Absolutely free and around 3 gb's of Layout and Modeler training of all sorts, by William Vaughan: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html
Pretty much covers the full spectrum of all that is LW, and is up to date, done with LW 9.3.1

IMI
03-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Oh, you said "complete novice".
Might want to try Dan Ablan's LightWave v9 Signature Courseware (http://www.3dgarage.com/), if you don't mind making a small investment.
It covers everything to get someone going with LW, beginning with the interface and menus and all that, and going into some simple modeling and rendering projects.

Amurrell
03-21-2008, 09:00 AM
The "Inside LightWave" series is really good. That's where I got my start.

RollerJesus
03-21-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm echoing the "Inside Lightwave" method. Dan's videos, in particular, are what helped me break the barrier of learning the interface. Also gave me a greate solid modeling base. I came out a little weak in the character department, but I really can't blame Dan for that...

IMI
03-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Yes, absolutely!
Particularly, Dan's Inside LightWave v9 book and accompanying video tutorials DVD.
It's a shame he won't be writing any more Inside books, but I believe he's going to continue with the LW video courseware.

Also, Steve Warner's Essential LightWave v9 is excellent, with some really good videos on the accompanying disk.

oobievision
03-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Dan Ablans inside lightwave 9 man I got so much out of that book and what do you know out one of the tutorials on there I actually used for a project where I happend to need an Ipod its a great book also check out the class on demand dvd's there great and an awsome investment.

JeffrySG
03-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Inside Lightwave 9 and Essential Lightwave 9 both books come with tons of free videos! I Recommend them both, and I got started in LW using them too. I would have them use ILW9 first then move to ELW9. And of course, Williams videos are priceless, too!

Also feel free to take a look at my free subpatch videos too. Link in my sig.

rcr62
03-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Oh, you said "complete novice".
Might want to try Dan Ablan's LightWave v9 Signature Courseware (http://www.3dgarage.com/), if you don't mind making a small investment.
It covers everything to get someone going with LW, beginning with the interface and menus and all that, and going into some simple modeling and rendering projects.
:agree:

The book is also excellent

kopperdrake
03-31-2008, 03:04 AM
Thanks guys - I've ordered Dan's ILW9 and ELW9 - William's videos are almost totally downloaded now, I watched one of them with the new chap last week and learned something about the bend tool after all these years! Needless to say I'll be watching the rest with him - thanks to William again!

I've bought some of Kurv's stuff in the past which was great, I'll probably wait until he's a bit more up to speed and check the online tutoring out, I really like that concept :)

Thanks again, most helpful!

Surrealist.
04-02-2008, 03:26 AM
When you get around to learning, subpatches, I second Jeffs videos and of course I have a tut in my sig.

vplukas
05-09-2008, 10:49 PM
I recently purchased the Kurv ultimate guide to 3d modeling by S. Warner. I was really disappointed with production values. The video and audio quality are really bad. There's parts where the video goes black but still has audio or where the screen is reduced in size. The audio is the most annoying. There's lots of places where the audio fades out so you can't hear what he's saying. I emailed Kurv about it but didn't receive a response. Also tried calling them but always got voice mail. The Ablan dvds I've seen are of a much higher quality so make the learning process much easier.