PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave V9 gets a review

guardonduty
03-20-2008, 08:13 AM
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/taxid;2136212825;pid;5144;pt;1

Nicolas Jordan
03-20-2008, 08:27 AM
I wonder where they got the price from? Lightwave is $895.00 US. Ive seen so many reviews and people talking about Lightwave that tend to get this fact wrong. :grumpy:

Signal to Noise
03-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Maybe in Australia it's actually $1299 (it is a PC World Australia review). I imagine by the time shipping and other factors are accounted for it drives the price up.

"CGI malarky"....:question:

Steamthrower
03-20-2008, 08:37 AM
$1299 AU is different than $1299 USD. Due to the imbecilic governments pumping billions of bits of fake paper into the economy, that's the way things are these days.

Nicolas Jordan
03-20-2008, 08:49 AM
That would make sense then if it's an Australian publication. Didn't realize that. :)

JeffrySG
03-20-2008, 09:54 AM
As of today:
1,299.00 AUD = 1,164.6834 USD

calilifestyle
03-20-2008, 10:07 AM
weird thing is that on my Firefox browser i can't see any text. It is there, just that the text is the same color as the background.

Phil
03-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Anyone miss the days when a review meant something detailed? Where extensive tests and useful criticism would be provided? The conclusion of this effort is fair enough, but the quality of the review leaves a lot to be desired.

RedBull
03-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Australia is looked after by Darrell at New-Magic, And they offer pretty good support and service, and if your dongle ever dies, get you a replacement same week.

But the international price differences do get old quickly, NT must understand that Luxology have a large advantage, by selling downloadable versions, without local dealers, the price is fair for people world wide. Maybe why 90% of OZwavers now own/use Modo as well.

In a world of online/down-loadable content this is becoming more of an issue.
We should be able to buy at a much more reasonable price based on USD.
The Dongle is likely the only reason we need local support with LW.

Steam has recently being charging more to Aus/UK customers on top the the currency conversion, this can only lead to lost sales, or sales to competitors. Autodesk is in a similar position.

Titus
03-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Actually, just add any major US company. They're asking extortionist prices for the same software/hardware here in Europe.

They do the same with all the countries, not only the rich ones. Here in my banana republic I have to pay considerably more for software and hardware, even LW.

Steamthrower
03-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Nice bleeding the US, for once! :)

Bleed us well, then, and I mean that! We're ruining the economy and have shot out the bottom of the barrel for everyone else...take advantage of it.

If it made sense to make an apology for America, I would. But I'm just a small citizen amidst 300 million. Didn't even go to the polls last year. Not worth it.

pumeco
03-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Nice to see LightWave get a good review, but I had to laugh at their recommended alternative; Cool3D.
How on earth do these reviewers get these jobs?

That was almost as bad as the gadget show in the UK.

IMI
03-20-2008, 04:07 PM
it makes me wonder if some of these people even actually use the software, or if they read a few other articles somewhere else as reference.

This doesn't read like a review at all. It reads like a lazily worded ad created by someone who knew he was being laid off the next day.

I wonder why it took them two years to get around to reviewing it? You'd think at least in that amount of time they could get some of their errors corrected.

AbnRanger
03-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Bleed us well, then, and I mean that! We're ruining the economy and have shot out the bottom of the barrel for everyone else...take advantage of it.

If it made sense to make an apology for America, I would. But I'm just a small citizen amidst 300 million. Didn't even go to the polls last year. Not worth it.No, we haven't ruined our economy...skyrocketing oil prices (which affects most everything you buy directly or indirectly) over the past 2 or so years is finally having its full effect. The fact that so many average investors could care less that high oil prices hurts EVERYBODY, yet they only care about helping their portfolio and, at their broker's advice, INVEST IN OIL...meaning they want a piece of the action...that action is to stick it to Joe Consumer in order to enrich themselves... And we simply point the finger at the Big Oil Companies? If so many people would quit trying to jump on the pile, oil prices would stay at a reasonable level, but when everybody wants to get in...guess what, prices go up...and up...and up....regardless how much is actually being consumed.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program...."As Lightwave Turns" :D

RedBull
03-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Actually, just add any major US company. They're asking extortionist prices for the same software/hardware here in Europe. Do we europeans somehow come of as averagely twice as rich as the average american? I don't think so, but Adobe, Dell etc. sure seem to think so.

Yeah i agree, It's not a new thing either. However Steam is a worry because it's the same downloadable version without support from any local distributor, a surcharge to sway people away from using downloadable versions from Steam. It's like Itunes asking more money for the same song because you live in a different country, despite downloading the same file from the same place.
There can be no excuse nor reason to justify for this level of corporate extorsionism. :)

But you can understand that the middleman won't go down without a fight.
I understand when American companies need to have a local presence in the market place, if support/warranty/advertising etc is done than obviously the same price is hard to achieve because of the different local costs involved in running thing in different regions.

But without this, and in a software context online movies, music and software will replace the brick & mortar stores more and more, and companies that try and continue to charge a middle-man mark-up will increasingly lose to those that don't.

jburford
03-24-2008, 12:22 PM
No, we haven't ruined our economy...skyrocketing oil prices (which affects most everything you buy directly or indirectly) over the past 2 or so years is finally having its full effect. The fact that so many average investors could care less that high oil prices hurts EVERYBODY, yet they only care about helping their portfolio and, at their broker's advice, INVEST IN OIL...meaning they want a piece of the action...that action is to stick it to Joe Consumer in order to enrich themselves... And we simply point the finger at the Big Oil Companies? If so many people would quit trying to jump on the pile, oil prices would stay at a reasonable level, but when everybody wants to get in...guess what, prices go up...and up...and up....regardless how much is actually being consumed.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program...."As Lightwave Turns" :D

Dude, yes the US has......

The reason for the extremely priced barral of Oil is the devaluing of the US Currency over the last 4-5 years to unheard of levels. Unfortunately, the price of Oil is in Dollars and tied to the US currency.....

Cut the value of the Dollar in half, and in order to get the same out of the Barrel of Oil, you have to double its price. . . ..

Common sense.

warmiak
03-24-2008, 01:05 PM
They're asking extortionist prices for the same software/hardware here in Europe.

Many things..
Here is a list from Adobe:

It costs Adobe 5 times more to manufacture and manage inventory in Europe because:
- We must maintain different skuís for each language version to support different labeling requirements, support information, and sales requirements.
- We maintain smaller quantities per language, in keeping with market sizes, which increases costs for printing, inventory management, and inventory disposal.
- The costs associated with our value-added reseller channels are 25% higher.
- We maintain 2.5 times as many field marketing employees in Europe as in North America to support our creative business at a certain level of quality across local markets. However, the revenue per employee is smaller, so the overall costs per unit of revenue is 4:1 in Europe compared to North America.
- Variable marketing expenses are 46% higher.
- Development costs are approximately $2.5Ė$3 million per language for each of the 14 languages Adobe Creative Suite supports.

adhesiveX
03-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Here's a cool interview with Jay Roth on 3D World web site http://www.3dworldmag.com/page/3dworld?entry=q_a_with_newtek_s. Very interesting comment at end of interview in regards in future upgrades.

pumeco
03-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Well, I for one hope they'll continue the way they are.

They'd loose a fair few 'wavers if they started that Maxon lark. I dread to think how many people (including me), have dumped their C4D because of their disgusting upgrade policy. At the moment, NewTek's upgrade policy is a jewel in LightWaves crown, so I personally hope they keep it that way.

Steamthrower
03-24-2008, 02:25 PM
although this may not continue beyond the LightWave v9 series.

Not exactly what everyone wants, up front, but: this just means that development for LW will increase enough that they expect people to pay for .x releases in the 10 cycle.

I'm all for that. Great interview by the way...gave some nice insight into 9.5.

Yog
03-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Here's a cool interview with Jay Roth on 3D World web site http://www.3dworldmag.com/page/3dworld?entry=q_a_with_newtek_s. Very interesting comment at end of interview in regards in future upgrades.

It could be argued that the LW 8.x cycle was the last to include "free" point updates.
Everyone who purchased LW 9.0 did so knowing that not all the listed included features would be in the initial release, but would instead be added during the following point releases.
True, some features not initially listed have/are being included, but also true is that not all the initially listed features have been released, yet.

I'm still not convinced that this program of rolling upgrades, instead of yearly/18 monthly main upgrades, is a good thing. Whilst semi regular "free" updates keeps the faithful happy, there are a lot more people who are reluctant to purchase software that is perpetually in a beta phase.

geothefaust
03-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Definitely a good read. It's interesting & surprising to hear that .x upgrades may no longer be free. I would rather the price of purchases/upgrades go back up the original price LW was a few years ago.

Matt
03-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Hehe! This review is totally out of date now! Well, it will be once 9.5 is fully released!

Yog
03-25-2008, 03:44 AM
I do also wonder if lack of annual turnover due to the rolling beta program has anything to do with the possible re-think on "free" point upgrades. Whilst the rolling beta program certainly takes the time pressure off of the company as far as keeping demanding users happy, it does mean long periods between major revenue periods.

Most of the annual turnover for companies similar to Newtek are made up of upgrades, not new purchases. This is probably especially true of Lightwave that has such a small initial cost.
Most companies have moved to a 12 monthly release of a new paid version, which means that every 12 months they receive a major income boost. Lightwave on the other hand has been out for nearly two years without the income boost of a paid upgrade, and as LW 9.5 has only just entered open beta phase, I would guess we are still at least a year from the next paid upgrade.

I'll be very interested as to when we will see LW-10, and what form it will take.
If Newtek do take the stance that there will be no more "free" point releases, then LW-10 will have to be fully featured from the initial release, unlike the current rolling beta, which will mean it will be longer before release, with the continued lack of income that will entail. The other option might be the Adobe model, i.e. smaller more frequent paid upgrades, which I can't see many customers liking.

pumeco
03-25-2008, 05:04 AM
Hehe! This review is totally out of date now! Well, it will be once 9.5 is fully released!
Methinks Matt might have missed this link :D
http://www.3dworldmag.com/page/3dworld?entry=q_a_with_newtek_s

Captain Obvious
03-25-2008, 05:25 AM
$1299 AU is different than $1299 USD. Due to the imbecilic governments pumping billions of bits of fake paper into the economy, that's the way things are these days.
Say what? AU$ is a different currency from US$, and your government screwing the economy over has nothing to do with that, other than the fact that it devaulues the US$.

Steamthrower
03-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Say what? AU$ is a different currency from US$, and your government screwing the economy over has nothing to do with that, other than the fact that it devaulues the US$.

Other than the fact that it devalues the US dollar...exactly...which was my point. Currencies right now are fluctuating so much that...

At the moment, $1299 US is worth $1,177 AU. So technically, Australians, may their dusty souls be blessed, are paying about $200 more for LW than Americans are. A higher rate for foreign countries is a necessary precaution taken by NT because of the fluctuating economy...it makes up for the idiocy of our federal financial escapades...which will do who knows what.

Captain Obvious
03-25-2008, 09:31 AM
My point is that the AU$ would be different from the US$, even if you guys actually had a competent government.

Andyjaggy
03-25-2008, 10:05 AM
I blame global warming.

UnCommonGrafx
03-25-2008, 10:16 AM
EVERY review for LW 9 ought to be thrown away or burned to contribute to global warming...

No past review will give 9.5+ the due it deserves. And if they don't have conversation about the upgraded rad features and lights... then... let it contribute to global warming, I say!