PDA

View Full Version : making the engine fx

Racer48
03-20-2008, 06:16 AM
hello everyone

I want make the engine fx for an spacenuke.

1. How can make this short trail coming direct from the blast pipe.
Of course I have tried to use volumetric lights but when Iam using textures I donīt get the right geometry.
I will not use this when I am taking the 3. effect described below.

2. How can I create realistic dust trails?

3. How can I create this "hot air" on the inner surface of the engine?
I have tried transparency voxels with a refraction factor but the result didntīt look ok.

Now to the Attachments:

The first image is a picture taken from the advanced air plane texture tuturial taken from militarymeshes.com. The particles look good in my eyes for using for the 3. effect.

Please watch the best of BSG season ONE video. At 00:08-00:11 you can see this blue ship called olymipic carrier from back seen from a viper cockpit. Its the ship with 1 big and 3 smaller thrusters. They are all blue.

Needs flash
http://www.zoicstudios.com/Web/Creations/Showcase.aspx?FileView=awards&ShowID=29&ReelID=36&CurrentFileType=Flv

Racer48
03-20-2008, 06:47 AM
sorry, I forgot to tell you that you can see the hot air engine fx at 00:08-0011 not only 4 blue thrusters when you follow the link.

And here is a different pic of my engine fx:

Racer48
03-21-2008, 03:05 AM
No one that can help me?
I mean this ship

Whatch the trailer I link for to see the animation.

jcaesar
03-21-2008, 03:12 PM
I think it's done in multiple passes and via compositing--I think that's how Zoic goes about it.

In general:

First get your lighting and stuff done, and get a background plate (image series).

Next add particles coming out of the engine, and render them into an alpha map sequence.

Composite them and use the particle alpha map applied to a distortion operator.

That way you can control the amount of distortion without a lot of re-rendering.