PDA

View Full Version : Speed Edit For OSX?

pox
03-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Call me Crazy but, I got a MacBook Pro and running speed edit via boot camp just fine, I've even been trying to get it to run in OSX via Parallels/VMware and Darwin.

In VMware it works I can open a project and render it out, I just can't see any live video output. It must be the lack of DX9 shaders. I wonder how hard it would be for them to make a Native OSX build like lightwave and use Open GL instead of directX? Mac are selling like crazy and most people think you have to have a mac to do video editing.

meshpig
03-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Parallels and vmware don't have any graphics acceleration. I think vmware does access the card but not fully so it's no good for games, 3d and especially vid.

The problem with running speed edit on bootcamp is the size of the partition... I don't know much about drivers for firewire 800 on PC so I don't bother mostly.

m:)

meshpig
03-20-2008, 12:08 AM
.. forgot to ask (not having used it much) how it compares with FCP?

m

ted
03-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Yes, so many "video people" are MAC people.
But my thought is, with the ability to run windows apps on a MAC now, I would hate to see NewTek cut resourses for cross platform development.
Although I have no idea how hard it would be to do?

But yeh, it would help sell more copies of SE. Just now sure of the cost/benefit.

ScorpioProd
03-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Crossplatform would be nice, I'd personally love to try a Mac, but...

The thing is, there are so many features desperately needed by SpeedEDIT that are still not there to make it a truely competitive NLE compared with the other choices out there.

I can't imagine trying to develop SpeedEDIT for an additional platform as being beneficial in this situation. If anything, it would dilute needed resources.

I really think Newtek needs to add a lot more features to the existing SpeedEDIT and make it truely great on the Windows platform before considering such an additional leap.

CreatvGnius
03-20-2008, 07:09 PM
The problem with running speed edit on bootcamp is the size of the partition...

Aren't there work-arounds tools to take care of that?

For the record, I'd have to say I share the sentiments expressed by Eugene and Ted. Let's let SpeedEDIT go through a further maturation process, rather than porting the current SpeedEDIT™ iteration over to the Mac. I could wish the poll gave us the option to vote thusly:

O Eventually
-PeterG

zebravidpro
03-20-2008, 09:08 PM
FWIW, I am a many years Mac user as well as former NewTek Flyer user and a current Video Toaster user. The Mac is my everyday, online, business and Quark and Adobe PShop machine. The Toaster never is online. Final Cut Pro, next to the Video Toaster, is no competition. FCP is visually ugly, cumbersome, unfriendly and loathesome to use. If Speed Edit was easily available for my Mac, I'd get it for quick and easy work not requiring the many bells and whistles of my good old Toaster. All professional work does not require 7-gun salutes and flashing lights. As I understand it though, broadcast stations are using FCP. I guess it depends on who is in charge when its time for a new edit system. My two cents.

digitalpost
03-28-2008, 10:01 PM
I just got a decked out macbook pro because I needed to be macintized for a client. I have SE running via bootcamp and it ROCKS on this thing. VERY fast and responsive. You can set the partition to whatever you want when you set up bootcamp. The mac os IS very cool but having both os's on one powerful laptop is a sweet thing.

meshpig
03-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Aren't there work-arounds tools to take care of that?

For the record, I'd have to say I share the sentiments expressed by Eugene and Ted. Let's let SpeedEDIT go through a further maturation process, rather than porting the current SpeedEDIT? iteration over to the Mac. I could wish the poll gave us the option to vote thusly:

O Eventually
-PeterG

I wouldn't disagree there.

-To be honest I haven't looked into the Firewire 800 options on Vista since I run XP and Final Cut Pro, though more expensive is pretty hard to beat.

m

pox
03-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Looks like a real toss up. I hope there could be a way to outsource or just hire a guy to port to mac so they could continue on with minimal interruptions to the windows versions.

CreatvGnius
03-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Looks like a real toss up. I hope there could be a way to outsource or just hire a guy to port to mac so they could continue on with minimal interruptions to the windows versions.

I would think that SpeedEDIT would make a bigger splash on the Leopard OS if, and only if, NewTek provided some real strong, compelling reasons for current Mac post editors to add it to their toolset, without loosing some key file encoding options and also to bolster one's reason to work between SpeedEDIT and other Mac-based editors such as FCP/iMovie

* locking audio, video, graphics and DVE elements (or some similarly functioning means of keeping a user from bumping a media event, graphic or effect out of its place)

* solid provision for two-way, direct file transport between SpeedEDIT and a variety of codecs supported by FCP/iMovie (this one is a huge issue, IMHO)

* interpolated slow motion to maximize image quality for speed changes, transitions, etc.

* audio pitch adjustment for sound and audio/video clips

(OK, what else could we add to the list, folks?) :heart:
-PeterG

ScorpioProd
03-29-2008, 11:18 PM
As enumerated by myself and many others in my "Features requested for SpeedEDIT 2.0" thread. :)

As for the Mac conversion, I think it would be a lot harder than you think. The ease of porting code is very dependant upon how organized the code you are porting from is to begin with. And if one can extrapolate from the SDK the answer to that, well... I mean, just cause some think SpeedEDIT is "all new and written from the ground up", there's a reason that a lot of the same limitiations and even some bugs made the trip from VT-EDIT to SpeedEDIT.

CreatvGnius
03-29-2008, 11:27 PM
...And if one can extrapolate from the SDK the answer to that, well... I mean, just cause some think SpeedEDIT is "all new and written from the ground up", there's a reason that a lot of the same limitiations and even some bugs made the trip from VT-EDIT to SpeedEDIT. OK, now wait: Is that to say the writing is still -- eh...

...Oh -- shall we say, "on the ground"? :D

:tsktsk:
PeterG

ScorpioProd
03-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Well, you haven't seen any new third-parties jumping in to create plug-ins for SpeedEDIT.

Which is especially sad since as of NAB 2007 the prediction was quite the opposite.

CreatvGnius
03-31-2008, 10:52 PM
Well, you haven't seen any new third-parties jumping in to create plug-ins for SpeedEDIT. Which is especially sad since as of NAB 2007 the prediction was quite the opposite.
Oh, Ok. Hmmmp! That notwithstanding, I sure hope NewTek will be sporting some things eminently shipping, that'll tantilize and amaze again, this NAB go-round.:hey:
-PeterG

DiscreetFX
04-16-2008, 05:21 PM
What is the installed base of SpeedEDIT now?