PDA

View Full Version : Vista SP1 Released

shadowlock
03-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Just an F.Y.I. Vista Service Pack 1 offically released

You can download it now or wait till April for the roll out on automatic update. I'll be testing it tonight with Lightwave and SpeedEdit. Hopefully nothing blows up :)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

iojabba
03-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up, gonna give it a try myself......

fingers crossed

hrgiger
03-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah, thanks. It's supposed to improve performance somewhat. I think I'm going to give it a try now. I just started downloading it, it's big. 435MB.

BeeVee
03-20-2008, 03:02 AM
That's for the standalone download version. The version from Windows Update is 65MB. Mine installed this morning, took about 40 mins.

B

geothefaust
03-20-2008, 03:37 AM
It's weird on my end. Whenever I run Windows update, it doesn't show SP1 as being available yet.

Simon
03-20-2008, 03:49 AM
It's weird on my end. Whenever I run Windows update, it doesn't show SP1 as being available yet.

There's another thread in general discussion about this, I can't get SP1 to show in my windows update either. I posted some links there to the microsoft site that says some older drivers will prevent SP1 appearing but I can't for the life of me find any on my new pc that can be updated. Got p1ssed off in the end and can't be bothered to download the nearly 800mb for the standalone x64. Think I'll leave it a little while and see how others get on with SP1.

BeeVee
03-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Funnily enough, I have the same for my office Vista Ultimate x64 machine. Wonder if the 64-bit version is not yet available?

B

Auger
03-20-2008, 10:05 AM
The update is available for installation in my Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I'm waiting a few days to see if anyone's having trouble before I install it.

Lightwolf
03-20-2008, 10:10 AM
The update is available for installation in my Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I'm waiting a few days to see if anyone's having trouble before I install it.
No problems so far, I installed it yesterday (windows update provided it sometime around noon). Ultimate x64.

Cheers,
Mike

Auger
03-20-2008, 10:13 AM
No problems so far, I installed it yesterday (windows update provided it sometime around noon). Ultimate x64.

Cheers,
Mike

Good to know! Thanks.

shadowlock
03-20-2008, 10:33 AM
The listing under "Windows Update" will not be active till April. To get the update now you have to manually download it.
As for render times there is no pure speed upgrade, only seconds over a long time. I guess that would be good for long run animations.

I rebooted and only went into lightwave and rendered for each test.
The two render times I tested pre and post:
Pre 26m 29s SP1 26m 16s
Pre 5m 58s SP1 5m 54s

Lightwolf
03-20-2008, 10:36 AM
The listing under "Windows Update" will not be active till April.
That's what I read as well... apparently that has changed though, since that is how I got SP1 yesterday.

Cheers,
Mike

Sande
03-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Installation went fine, although I haven't seen any actual changes. Still sluggish and Aero is still buggy - but pretty stable.

hrgiger
03-20-2008, 02:33 PM
I installed it last night and haven't noticed any problems. It might be my imagination, but it does feel better.

CAClark
03-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Installation went fine, although I haven't seen any actual changes. Still sluggish and Aero is still buggy - but pretty stable.

Why is aero buggy?

iojabba
03-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Installed last night on one machine and waited on the other. No problems so far (on my wifes machine...... lol)

She is running a Pentium D 3.0 with 2Gb PC6400 and shared video (I know, I should get her some kind of vid card.

Aero seems to run a little quicker on her machine since the update, but it could be just me hoping.

Sekhar
03-20-2008, 05:34 PM
No luck for me on my Dell laptop - it keeps failing with the "Installation was not successful" message. Tried 1-4 of Microsoft's resolutions on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366 to no avail; need to look at 5.

zapper1998
03-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Actually after I loaded XP64 Vista on my machine, it ran great until I let it run the updates, so I decided to Reformat that Partition.
And reinstall XP64Vista, and decided NOT to download ANY updates, and it runs nice, and Fast, and I have had no problems....

Except for the nagging popups about the security thingys....
Hooked up to the network, not the internet .. 64bit machine ... is ..

no123one
03-20-2008, 09:23 PM
I've been running for 24 hours on my Vista Ultimate x86 install, and SP1 seems fine. I don't notice any real difference. File deleting/moving may seem a little faster.

IMI
03-21-2008, 05:24 AM
I went ahead and installed it to my Ultimate x64 and it went off without a hitch, no problems.
It took about 50 minutes and I didn't have to reinstall any drivers afterwards.
After two hours of messing around in various programs, including LW, everything seems fine.
One thing I have noticed: I have my entire task bar dragged to the top of my secondary monitor, which is where I want it. Those little pop-up messages that some programs might give me from time to time would pop up under the task bar, which was highly annoying, since I'd have to minimize it to read them or close them.
Now they're popping up on top of the task bar, as they should. If SP1 fixed nothing else, that's good enough for me. ;)

pumeco
06-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Sorry for the dumb question, but can someone tell me where to download the Integrated Installation version that is designed to be burnt to disc and allows a clean install of Vista with SP1 already built-in to it?

Hell, I just wasted three hours downloading the wrong file - lol

What would be the correct download link for the 32BIT version of the Integrated Installation, I'd really appreciate it 'cause I can't find it no matter what.

Cheers!

pumeco
06-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Nevermind, I found it.

Another large download of almost 1.5GB this time and the bloody thing was no different to the previous download. I burt the ISO, formatted my drive, inserted the DVD and it's telling me there's no operating system present.

What's wrong with these people, that's why I've just downloaded and burnt the ISO - in order to install the bloody operating system from scratch. I can't for the life of me see any reason for burning a massive ISO if it's functionally no different to the standard update download .exe

There's no point in having an autobooting ISO DVD if the thing can't be installed without another operating system present. I mean, if there 'is' a reason, I'm buggered if I know what it is.

DiscreetFX
06-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Windows Vista runs really well on one of our machines because we never turn it on.

:jester:

pumeco
06-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Windows Vista runs really well on one of our machines because we never turn it on.

:jester:

Ah nice, that's all I need, a bloody smartass when I'm staring at a laptop with no OS again!
That's another day wasted trying to get my laptop without bloatware.

BTW, how on earth did you manage to post like that?

You had to see the thread had been updated...
Read my post...
Write a reply...
Hit the post button...

You did all that in less than a minute - that just ain't human :stumped:

DiscreetFX
06-11-2008, 04:33 PM
@pumeco

Sorry to hear your having problems.

pumeco
06-11-2008, 04:46 PM
lol - sorry Bill, I should have put an extra smiley in there :thumbsup: