PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Wave Keyboard

gristle
03-19-2008, 02:34 AM
Hi all.

First image I have posted here..

A three quarter package shot for Logitech, with the CAD file (ProE) supplied by Designpartners, Ireland. The keyboard was converted to an IGES file, then optimised and meshed in Rhino. The shot was setup in Lightwave and rendered in FPrime. The keyboard was backlit on a translucent surface, to highlight the edge forms. The most difficult part of this project was lighting the keyboard to clearly show the form.

So, not modelled at all in Lightwave, apart from the backdrop and props. Everything else was in Lightwave (apart from FPrime). Actual render was quite a bit higher res than this as well...

Mitja
03-19-2008, 05:17 AM
Lightwave or not, it's very well done.And I like the visive impact as well. Good job mate!!!

Ztreem
03-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Looking good, nicely done. Didn't you have any problems getting the mesh to LW without smoothing errors? or do you use TrueArt's Obj importer?

Matt
03-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Nice job indeed! How did you get this gig anyway?

gristle
03-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Only just got the OBJ importer last week and have not used it on a live job yet. I have run a few tests so far and it is looking awesome!

To get around the smoothing errors I normally make set the max edge length in Rhino to less than the smallest distance between 2 90 degree edges, say where the logo is embossed. Sometimes, this is completely unworkable because of the poly count.

I have been working on renderings for Designpartners since I was there full time in 2004, the majority being Logitech based.

Here is another angle...

Ztreem
03-19-2008, 01:40 PM
OK, yeah the meshes can become very dense fast when exporting, thanks for sharing. Love the renders!

adrian
03-25-2008, 05:07 AM
Excellent image, although the caps lock key in the first image seems to me as if it's actually part of the keyboard! Or maybe I've eaten too much chocolate over Easter and it's affecting my eyes....

Tzan
03-25-2008, 09:17 AM
The capslock key has a sort of two level stair step. My Key Tronic does the same thing. You can see it better in the second image.

Red_Oddity
03-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Nice, well next time i fling my mouse against the wall or smash my keyboard in frustration until it rains keys i'll think of you Gristle :p

gristle
03-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Nice, well next time i fling my mouse against the wall or smash my keyboard in frustration until it rains keys i'll think of you Gristle :p

Sure, no problem. Broke a microswitch in my favourite mouse the other day doing exactly that...

JeffrySG
03-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Wow! Really wonderful work!

Can you post a wireframe so we can see how dense the mesh is?

gristle
03-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Wow! Really wonderful work!

Can you post a wireframe so we can see how dense the mesh is?

Thanks for the comments.
Heres a wireframe.

JeffrySG
03-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Really dense, but it looks like the mesh came in really damn nice! Looking forward to more of your work!