PDA

View Full Version : Nodes - Stupid easy question

monovich
03-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Sometimes I think I get nodes, sometimes I prove myself wrong.

In layers, I can copy a texture layer from the color channel and paste it into the bump channel and they match.

With nodes, I'm trying the a similar thing but getting vastly different outputs.

I'm plugging a texture into the "scale" input of an image node in order to distort it and plugging the outputs into the color and bump inputs of the surface, but they don't match at all. why doesn't the color output scale the same way that the bump output does? The bump output gets scaled, but the color output is unaffected. grrr.

If I wanted to distort color and bump outputs by plugging a value into the scale input of the node, shouldn't this work? Is there a better way? If I don't try to distort the node, then the outputs do match.

Thanks.

-sf

globalnode
03-18-2008, 01:00 PM
There are a few ways to go about it, but you can try this...
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/nodes/Tools.html#Scalar

monovich
03-18-2008, 01:11 PM
I tried that one, but it doesn't create a bump that matches the output that I get if I just plug in the bump output from a layer node. In other words, it seems to generate a different kind of bump with the same exact texture map.

globalnode
03-18-2008, 01:27 PM
did you try a bump layer node?

monovich
03-18-2008, 01:48 PM
yeah I tried that. I've almost got it a few times with the DP Scale node by doing separate layer nodes for color and bump and going from there, but that isn't working either... doesn't look right.