PDA

View Full Version : 2 boxes -> 2 textures

Baldo
07-17-2003, 11:18 AM
I have 2 boxes in modeler, same layer.
I wanna texture the 2 boxes with different texture, so i should "name" each box to have them separate in SURFACE editor... but how to?

(In the manual there is nothing about that, soz if it's a newbie question).

Macet01
07-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Go into poly selection mode. Select all of the polys for one box and then hit "q". This will bring up a dialog box to give the polys you just selected a surface name. Repeat the steps for the other box. Now, open surface editor and you will notice that the surface names that you entered are listed under the object. Select one surface name and add all the textures, procedurals and shaders you want to it. The other surface will be unaffected. Then just do the same with the other surface. Wonder of wonders, you now have two boxes in the same layer with two different textures.

I would also consider moving the boxes into independent layers. As you currently have it setup, you will not be able to animate or position them separately within Layout.

Hope this helps.

Baldo
07-17-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Macet01
I would also consider moving the boxes into independent layers. Hope this helps.

tnx.. this answer owns!
:)

how to CUT a poly and COPY into another layer?

Macet01
07-17-2003, 01:20 PM
This is an easy one. Select one cube and hit the cut button on the bottom of Modler. Then in the upper right hand corner is where you can select layers. Select an empty layer and then hit the paste button and there you have it. Then when you are all finished modeling and shading/texturing/surfacing, look for a plugin on Flay that will allow you to save each layer out to an individual model. Then these can be reassembled in Layout.

I would also recommend reading the manual. Both of these questions are openly covered in there. That could save you alot of time, instead of waiting for me to pop back on and answer the questions.

Hope this helps

Baldo
07-17-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Macet01
I would also recommend reading the manual. Both of these questions are openly covered in there. That could save you alot of time, instead of waiting for me to pop back on and answer the questions.
problem of manual is that it's HUGE.. and it's not so easy to find out what u are looking for ;)

tnx 4 answers :)
u save me a lot of time!

Macet01
07-17-2003, 07:53 PM
I feel your pain. I have three different books, including the manual, for Lightwave. I think it adds up to about 3000 pages of how to use the application. I even read the manual from cover to cover (The overall plot sucks but the twist at the end makes it all worth it) :D I just use it now for quick refrence through the index at the back of the tome. Reading it, or at least parts of it will help out tremendously. Give it a try.