PDA

View Full Version : 9.5 Question: IK and Maestro?

Steamthrower
03-18-2008, 11:12 AM
I just purchased Maestro 2 with the intent to use it in 9.3, however I have a few questions.

I'm not sure if these are "answerable" because of NDAs, but are the new rigging tools in 9.5 going to affect the performance of Maestro?

Basically, does Maestro 2 work with 9.5?

Thanks for any light shed. I soak it up gleefully.

- Gil

Mitja
03-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Yet another 9.5 'spam' thread ... :D
Just kidding, obviously!

Steamthrower
03-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Oh, get over it, Mitja! ;)

Mitja
03-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Ok, I won't inerfere anymore, inigo07<hasselhoff, it was too strong of me, you know.
But this is a serious thread so look only the 1st post!

ericsmith
03-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Of course NDA's do make giving out any specific info difficult right now, but I think there are two things I can say:

1. It has typically been Newtek's policy to not break legacy components when new ones are built. So it is unlikely that scenes in their current state would not work in a newer version (especially a point release). What I'm saying here is that regardless of new features, 9.5 should work with the current set of tools Maestro uses now.

2. I'm looking forward to incorporating some of the new features 9.5 will bring into Maestro, and am confident that the two will play well together.

Oh, and one more thing... :thumbsup:

Eric

Steamthrower
03-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks a lot Eric!

I've been playing around with it and it's looking/performing very nice. Thanks!

To everyone who's possibly interested in Maestro: it's well worth the money and it's the best rigging/animation plugin I've found for Lightwave. Definitely good stuff.

ericsmith
03-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for that inigo07.

I have to say, it really is useful. And often times, for simple little things as well as the character stuff. I can't imagine working without it.

Eric

Puguglybonehead
03-19-2008, 10:00 PM
This is something I was wondering about as well. I've been seriously considering getting Maestro.

beverins
03-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Maestro is well worth the money...

I just wish that it worked properly with 9.3.1

To put it bluntly - the rigging part works, but the interactive hotbox dragging to pose the character in 9.3.1 is horribly slow. You have to use 9.0 in order to get decent framerates. Yeah, perhaps not a huge dealbreaker for a great plugin like this, but would be nice to have it all in 9.3.1 or even 9.5.

The problem is Newtek's fault. As of 9.3.1 they have not fixed it. Has it been fixed in 9.5?

"Note regarding LW 9.2 - 9.3: While Maestro works with these versions, there is an issue in Layout that limits interactivity with the Maestro control panel. Basically, when dragging on a hotspot, you don't see your character move until the mouse motion stops (you don't have to release the mousebutton, just stop moving)."

Mat
03-20-2008, 05:52 AM
WOW the rig looks amazing.

How hard is it set up your own characters, are there male and female rig version?

definately concidering buying would it be worth having 2 installs of lightwave
9 and 9.31?

also have you tryed turning up the bounding box threshold to fix the update prob?

Steamthrower
03-20-2008, 06:39 AM

That's an understatement. It's great. There are multiple versions: from a crude "previz" rig to a full-fledged detailed rig.

How hard is it set up your own characters, are there male and female rig version?

Yes. Oh, man, it's so hard setting up. You like have to...click...and drag...three times and click a button...a pain...:D

9 and 9.31?

I'm on a Mac so I have two installs anyway. Actually, to be exact, I have three installs. I believe I have 9.0, 9.2, and 9.3.1. I generally use 9.2.

beverins
03-20-2008, 07:59 AM

9 and 9.31?

also have you tryed turning up the bounding box threshold to fix the update prob?

It is worth it even if you only have 9.3.1, but even more so if you also have 9 and install that side-by-side. Then you will be problem-free.

I tried the bounding box threshold, it doesn't work because the problem is with the plugin passing the hotbox information to the lightwave bones (at least I believe so). If you animate the bones / nulls directly in Layout after they have been rigged with Maestro, the update speed is just as fast as with any other method.

I have a little problem with the quadruped rig, in that I get unpleasant deformations and frustrating IK with the front legs (but I'm not blaming the skeleton or the plugin for this necessarily - I do believe this is entirely something to do with how I'm setting up the skeleton inside the cat I am using).

What I find amazing about Maestro, as well, is that the rigs work even without any weightmaps at all. Weightmaps can be used, and should be used for fixing deformation problems, but really you don't even need those.

Fprime, Maestro, HD Instance and InfiniMap are definitely on the list of Must Have Plugins for Lightwave.

I really think that Newtek should have a page of links to these plugins. I know Newtek is all about doing it themselves, but for Must Have Plugins like these, I think they should just suck it up and say "OK - you really should look into buying these"

RollerJesus
03-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Has anybody used it on a 64 bit system?

ericsmith
03-20-2008, 08:42 AM
I have a little problem with the quadruped rig, in that I get unpleasant deformations and frustrating IK with the front legs (but I'm not blaming the skeleton or the plugin for this necessarily - I do believe this is entirely something to do with how I'm setting up the skeleton inside the cat I am using).

Hey Beverins,

Feel free to contact me via email (support <at> stillwaterpictures <dot> com), and I'll help you work through stuff like that. You can even send me the model and I'll help tweak the bones to make things work right.

Quadrupeds can be tricky to understand anatomy wise, so the bones, especially in the front legs, need to be pre-bent the right way for things to work properly.

Has anybody used it on a 64 bit system?

We've got a few customers working in 64 bit, and Maestro works in this platform. But there were a few problems in Lightwave 9.0 64 bit that made the rigging part a bit funky. I believe parenting didn't work quite right, and it made the rig come out wrong. But from what I understand, rigging in 9.3 64 bit works fine. Of course, 9.3 has the interaction problem, so a 64 bit workflow is a bit complicated.

But we'll just have to see what 9.5 brings...

Eric

RollerJesus
03-20-2008, 08:45 AM
We've got a few customers working in 64 bit, and Maestro works in this platform. But there were a few problems in Lightwave 9.0 64 bit that made the rigging part a bit funky. I believe parenting didn't work quite right, and it made the rig come out wrong. But from what I understand, rigging in 9.3 64 bit works fine. Of course, 9.3 has the interaction problem, so a 64 bit workflow is a bit complicated.

But we'll just have to see what 9.5 brings...

Wonderful! Thanks for the insight.

DiedonD
03-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Id like to be short with this.

Theres just nothing better out there for me, other than Maestro.

The newest upgrades and the fact that Maestro only works with LW9.0 and before is tearing me appart. One goes to the future the other is stuck in a certain past place in time. Thus Im beeing teared. And that they should get along somehow as soon as they can.

Thanks.

Steamthrower
03-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Well, the way I see it is similar, but there's a reason why I went with Maestro vs. others.

Take Project Messiah. There's no beating around the bush that it definitely has more features and is arguably "better" per se than Maestro. Yet when I spend money, maybe this is a quirk or something, but I will go with the small guy rather than the big guy every time. It's why I use Lightwave for my business rather than, say, Max. Not only am I supporting the small guys for the sake of supporting the small guys, but the customer service, personalized feedback, and direct communication is unparalleled. I mean, heck, look! The programmer's chatting here. I could buy XSI and use it for rigging...but then I'd be feeding a giant company called Avid. Who probably enslave starving Chinese children in cramped sweatshops or something.

Plus, Maestro works on Mac UB. Not much else does, so that a MAJOR selling point. Fprime and Sasquatch doesn't even do that yet!

One thing though, I'd really like to see more training and real-life examples of Maestro. Perhaps a forum for it. It's a program all in itself, in actuality.

Steamthrower
03-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Question: can you set up LW sliders to operate Maestro morphs & motions? I haven't even gotten there yet.

ericsmith
03-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Question: can you set up LW sliders to operate Maestro morphs & motions? I haven't even gotten there yet.

I think you're missunderstanding what's going on. Maestro doesn't have morphs or motions. It simply controls channels in Lightwave, just like sliders do. So you can set up sliders to control channels (including morphs), or you can set up Maestro to control those same channels, or you can do both.

Now, moving on to bigger things...

I've been given permission to uncryptify myself.

The interaction issue with Maestro has been solved in 9.5. Diedond, consider yourself unteared.

Thank you, and good night.

Eric

hrgiger
03-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Yet when I spend money, maybe this is a quirk or something, but I will go with the small guy rather than the big guy every time.

PMG is hardly a 'big guy'.

Greenlaw
03-20-2008, 10:19 PM
The interaction issue with Maestro has been solved in 9.5.

Awesome! I've been waiting to hear this for a long time. Thanks Eric, and thanks to the other programmers responsible for the fix. Now I can't wait for the chance to try this myself.

DRG

DiedonD
03-21-2008, 07:16 AM
The interaction issue with Maestro has been solved in 9.5. Diedond, consider yourself unteared....

Why.... Ill gladly consider myself unteared Eric :D :thumbsup:

Thanks alot guys. Alas my work in 9.0 and render in the rest time is over. About time really. Feeyeww. This was a biggy.

Now... If only this latest fur can get itself be seem like cellshaded, rather then super photoreal, my two issues would be handled for this release, and Ill be back to waiting instancing on other releases :thumbsup:

Steamthrower
03-21-2008, 07:16 AM
PMG is hardly a 'big guy'.

It's bigger'n Eric. :D

I think you're missunderstanding what's going on. Maestro doesn't have morphs or motions. It simply controls channels in Lightwave, just like sliders do. So you can set up sliders to control channels (including morphs), or you can set up Maestro to control those same channels, or you can do both.

Duh me. I use the morph term like a bad habit, from former 3D software I used to use, in which "morph" meant anything that moved. What I meant to ask was simply "does Maestro support those cool little slider things"...and now, obviously so.

ericsmith
03-21-2008, 09:04 AM
It's bigger'n Eric.

Hey, don't forget Brian. He's the engine for this puppy. Without his mad coding skills, Maestro would just be a figment of my imagination.

Duh me. I use the morph term like a bad habit, from former 3D software I used to use, in which "morph" meant anything that moved. What I meant to ask was simply "does Maestro support those cool little slider things"...and now, obviously so.

I'm not sure you're really getting what's happening here. Both Maestro and sliders are independant ways to modify the value of an object's channel. They don't really support each other, they just co-exist.

It's kind of like asking if a wacom tablet supports a mouse. They both move the little arrow on your screen around, but they're not really connected to each other in any way.

Eric

Steamthrower
03-21-2008, 09:38 AM
You know what, sheesh, I'm going to have to just hit myself on the head with my scotch tape dispenser. I'm digging myself into a deep deep hole. After playing with it more, I'm clearing myself of my confusion. You'll have to excuse it all. I was trying to get Maestro and sliders to interact in a totally ridiculous way. Sorry!

But...do wacom tablets support subwoofers?

DiedonD
03-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Hey Inigo

Sliders and morphs.... Are you digging into lipsynching perhaps? Its totally paralel thing. Well Maestro also can animate small facial movements, thus making them appear like its talking, but It seems to me as if your trying to do lipsynch with Graph Editor or Sliders.

If you are, heres what works best for me regarding lipsynching. You use the tight precise graph editor for lethal sound to morph precision. Gather all letter morphs into one graph editor, and make a curve where you emphasize duration and intensity in the timeline, depending on the voice intensity and duration, for each letter that you have on your left, where youve gathered them previosly. After youre done with the whole sentence, just select all lower points, and add a value of zero to all of them, since youve probably left it somewhere along those lines, and also make those lower points linear, in order to remove the negative values they reach making the character look uggly in that TCB process. And youre done.

Hmmmm.... I know I sound complicated, but its really alot more easier when its done.

One other thing BTW. You surely type too fast dont you :) ?
Right after I made a post in this thread, I just read it quickly, and as you can see above I wrote little, and when I went out, in that split second your post was already put there after mine. And its not that small neither.
Anything you have to say for thyself flash typer :) ?

Actually theres more proof now. Look at our posts the second one of mine this page, and yours. Yours was done in the same minute...

Steamthrower
03-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Actually the fastest I've tested is around 69 wpm. Not that fast, though I go faster when writing my own sentences rather than copying down test sentences.

Anyway, thanks for the insight into sliders/motion mixer/Maestro/everything. I am just now delving into CA, after years of arch viz and still renderings. I am indeed working a bit with lip synching.

ericsmith
03-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Lip sync is an area where one of the more advanced Maestro features (pose hotspots) really shines. What they do is allow you to save the postion/rotation/scale of a group of objects, and then when you drag on the hotspot, it transforms all of those items from their current position/rotation/scale towards the saved state. It's a bit like morph mixer, but for items rather than a mesh.

This is built into the default facial rig setup, but if you're doing something custom, here's the deal... Let's say you have 8 phoneme shapes, each set up in their own distinct morph. If you want an "ee" sound at a particular frame, you have to key the "ee" morph at that frame, and key all the other morphs off at that frame as well. With a Pose hotspot, you can basically set all of the phoneme morphs to be controlled at once, so when you key the "ee" sound at a particular frame, all the other shapes are keyed at that frame as well.

Using this method, I've been able to animate a minute of dialog in around an hour.

I've got a video that covers the concept here:

http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/Maestrodemos/Maestro2-Lipsync.avi

Eric

littlewaves
03-21-2008, 11:14 AM
But...do wacom tablets support subwoofers?

My subwoofer supports my desk which in turn supports my wacom tablet which in turn supports my coffee mug

antsj
03-21-2008, 11:54 AM
I noticed that Project Messiah was mentioned as an option to Maestro in previous post.

What are the pro's and con's of using Project Messiah Studio over Maestro? Does Maestro complement LW 931? Does Project Messiah Studio duplicate LW 9 tools.

I am trying to decide what would be the better tool to invest in going forward. Good news from Eric S that it will work with LW 9.5 clearing up the need to run 2 vs of LW (9+9.31).

AJ

ericsmith
03-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Project Messiah is really a stand-alone app. While it can work as a "plugin" for lightwave, it's actually a completely seperate environment with it's own set of tools.

I haven't used it myself, but it definitely has a good reputation. The only downside I've observed is that it seems to be developed slower than anything else out there by a wide margin. But it's got a very good price for what they offer.

Maestro, on the other hand, is a control interface for objects or channels in lightwave that allows you to control native lightwave functions in a very innovative and easy way. It also has a built in keyframe dopesheet that has lots of features targeted to making the animator's job easier and less painful. But at the end of the day, you're still using Lightwave.

Eric

ericsmith
03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
For anyone interested, The Maestro download page (If you have Maestro, you know where it is) has a new update that has the fix for the interactivity issue in 9.5. So if you're enrolled in the open Beta for 9.5, this new update will give you full interactivity with Maestro.

Eric

colkai
03-28-2008, 02:41 AM
Most cool - thanks Eric.

tonybliss
03-28-2008, 06:48 AM
great !!!!

jimiclaybrooks
03-28-2008, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't have thought I'd say this before, but I have to say that Maestro is just too awesome. I just wonder if the other 3d apps have anything as close to this as we do. I am so stoked... this is such great news!!!! I basically wrote off 9.3 because of Maestro, since I won't think of using LWave without it!! I'm so glad they fixed the graph editor issue, cause I'll say it again. If Maestro won't work, I won't use it!! I'm just that hooked on it now. I'm just sorry it sat on my "shelf" for almost a year!:bangwall: Thanks Eric and Brian, u guys have done an incredible thing in giving the LWave community this tool.

DiedonD
03-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Bah... I cant open LW Beta 9.5 . I applied and theres nothing on e-mail :thumbsdow

I sure would like to see Maestro working on a single LW as it was before in 9.0.

Either I await further for that e-mail, or I await for the complete release, ill still be waiting. So, can anyone just tell me does it really work, any problems in Maesto in LW 9.5?

rush
03-28-2008, 07:49 AM
?seems to be developed slower than anything else out there by a wide margin.?

Sorry Eric, I don?t necessary agree with your statement above, that Messiah development is slower than anything out there by a wide margin. Messiah has gone through very many free upgrades/updates 2.xx cycle (2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 etc). V3 has just been released (offers a very wide range of tools), along with Ulven?s excellent ?autorigger?.

ericsmith
03-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Well, maybe things are moving along better with them today, but awhile ago this was not just my personal feeling, it was pretty much what everyone thought. I think at one point they announced a new version and 2-3 years went by before it was released.

I don't have anything against them personally, the statement I made was just an observation based on their history.

Eric

rush
03-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Well, maybe things are moving along better with them today, but awhile ago this was not just my personal feeling, it was pretty much what everyone thought. I think at one point they announced a new version and 2-3 years went by before it was released.

I don't have anything against them personally, the statement I made was just an observation based on their history.

Eric

Many software companies have falling into the trap of announcing features and/or version ahead of delivery. But the point I was making is that development has been ongoing though the period you stated and is still continuing, but let’s get back on topic, as It about your software tool

KevinL
03-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Eric.... You rock, I downloaded and TaDa I is smoothly flowing in me Maestro.

Responsive doesn't begin to describe your service :)

Thank You,
Kevin L

DiedonD
03-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Many software companies have falling into the trap of announcing features and/or version ahead of delivery. But the point I was making is that development has been ongoing though the period you stated and is still continuing, but let?s get back on topic, as It about your software tool

Why hello there Rush. I wonder which of the below are you?

A) Messiah Agent or official rep, B) LW User who wouldnt want to show his true name.

Either way, your showing off. Youve made two posts and both are against Maestro.

I kinda feel its the first. Either way, I think Eric is heavily disadvantaged speaking from a Plugin Author point. He needs to pick words an all. Say things officially.

But I on the other hand an a user and a customer. I can just freely say it out laud to you.

Messiah is ********, and Maestro rocks. How do you like that?

rush
03-30-2008, 04:48 AM
Why hello there Rush. I wonder which of the below are you?

A) Messiah Agent or official rep, B) LW User who wouldnt want to show his true name.

Either way, your showing off. Youve made two posts and both are against Maestro.

I kinda feel its the first. Either way, I think Eric is heavily disadvantaged speaking from a Plugin Author point. He needs to pick words an all. Say things officially.

But I on the other hand an a user and a customer. I can just freely say it out laud to you.

LOL, never been called a Messiah agent before. I don’t believe I have said anything negative about Maestro, as I do not have the software. My post was to clear up some inaccuracies about Messiah

But for your information I’m LW, XSI, amongst others owner/user and believe in the ‘right tool for the job’. Equally I respect your view though I wouldn’t use your language.

One last thing in the spirit of your post, I’m a Manchester United fan, how do you like that!

Jim M
03-30-2008, 05:02 AM
Youve made two posts and both are against Maestro.

Did he? Where?
[Us Manchester United fans stick together]

:)

DogBoy
03-30-2008, 05:20 AM

He said NOTHING about Maestro, either pro or anti. This kinda foaming at the mouth does no-one any good. Take a deep breath and calm down.

He merely said that he felt Eric was wrong in his assertion that Messiah has been floundering on the development front.

Messiah is far from ********, and trying to do a comparison between maestro and Messiah is pointless. They are two very different creatures.

dballesg
03-30-2008, 09:39 AM
At least I could find a moment to try Maestro on 9.5 :)

Thanks Newtek to solve the speed interactivity problem. Really screams now on my Quad! :)

Eric, I downloaded the new version. And I am having problems running it on LW 9.5 64 and 9.3.1 64. It doesn't found the Maestro2.txt.

When I point it to it. First message I got it is "FindFile still brokie" followed for a series of other ones.

In LW 9.5 and 9.3.1 I do not have THAT problem, BUT the RHand and LHand controllers to move the hands do not work. THey move around the scene but the hands still stand on the air.

I hope are minor things and we can found the problem! :)

David

DiedonD
03-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Alright, alrightmm alright already. If you all say he isnt, undoubtadly he shoudnt have been. I just saw 2 posts he did, and saw them there on this thread. It seemed kinda peculiar to me you know. Im used to people coming here and saying hi in first few posts they make. This guy did his first two immediately defending Messiah, thus comes the "Messiah agent" image.

But if you all say hes ok, he should be then. I am calm, just trying to balance is what I tried to do .

nyway, manchester united huh. I dont know what that could mean, and am too drunk right now to search as to what messages are you trying to get through with that, but anyway.

Cheers have fun

ericsmith
03-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Eric, I downloaded the new version. And I am having problems running it on LW 9.5 64 and 9.3.1 64. It doesn't found the Maestro2.txt.

When I point it to it. First message I got it is "FindFile still brokie" followed for a series of other ones.

In LW 9.5 and 9.3.1 I do not have THAT problem, BUT the RHand and LHand controllers to move the hands do not work. THey move around the scene but the hands still stand on the air.

I'm not sure what to think about the 64 bit issue. It seems like every time the moon is in a different position, file paths get wonky with 64 bit. It makes me wonder if there's something else under the surface that is really causing the issue.

Regarding the IK on the arms, I had someone else report that to me, but I can't reproduce the problem here on my system.

We just have to remember that 9.5 is in beta right now, and there will probably be wrinkles here and there until it gets closer to the release build.

Eric

dballesg
03-30-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure what to think about the 64 bit issue. It seems like every time the moon is in a different position, file paths get wonky with 64 bit. It makes me wonder if there's something else under the surface that is really causing the issue.

Regarding the IK on the arms, I had someone else report that to me, but I can't reproduce the problem here on my system.

We just have to remember that 9.5 is in beta right now, and there will probably be wrinkles here and there until it gets closer to the release build.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Sure I know it is in beta, tht is why I reported it! :) So we can fix everything before 9.5 goes out! :)

David

dballesg
03-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi Eric,

I can reproduce BOTH problems on my laptop and on my quad core. BOTH systems have Vista Bussines 64.

David

Greenlaw
03-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi guys,

Just a polite reminder that the NDA specifies that LightWave 9.5 beta testing issues can only be discussed in the section entitled "LightWave Open Beta".

DRG

ericsmith
03-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Good point Dennis. Thanks for the reminder.

I do have to walk a fine line here. Originally, I thought I wouldn't be able to even mention publically that Maestro works under 9.5, but Chuck gave me his blessing to give the info out now. Still, discussing it can easily lead to areas that may not be appropriate.

Eric

dballesg
03-31-2008, 05:52 AM
Oh damn,

I must not answer post without look first! :(

Sorry and my most sincere apologies, I didn't realize I was on the LW-Community forum and not on the open beta ones.

I will start a thread about it on the proper forums.

Thanks Greenlaw for pointing it out.

And thanks Eric as well for your answers.

See you on the other side! :)

David

bta1701
04-01-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm just starting to get into character animation in a serious way... I've been a LW user since version 4, but not really for CA. I went ahead and bought Maestro quite some time ago, but never really used it 'til recently, and... WOW! I am blown away by the elegance and ease of use. I have to add my thanks and appreciation to that already piled on. I can't imagine using LW for CA without it. And not just CA... it's interface is up for any animating challenge.

Now, if we can just get the Maestro timeline to replace the Dopetrack, and integrate maestro's UI directly into the layout view, and...

Seriously, Maestro rocks. If you're doing CA in LW, and you aren't using Maestro, you really should.

(As an aside, I also have pmg messiah, and it rocks, too, but it isn't lightwave. It does many things I wish lw did, but with Maestro, alot of that is now moot).

By the way, I've been playing with the wing and tail rigs in Maestro, and they're pretty cool (though I have a problem with the winged woman model - some wing points seem to get stuck to the arm bones) - so it makes me wonder... any rigs with long necks, like for a dragon? I know I can roll my own, but the way you've added expressions to your rigs is way beyond me at this point, and works so very cool...

bart

Digital Hermit
04-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Delete please

Digital Hermit
04-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Delete please

Sorry about the delete post, I just read the NDA message and did not want to cross any lines.

Nevertheless, concerning Maestro? Eric, do you think your guys could work on adding an audio track scrub feature for Lip-sync in Maestro?

That would really make this app a Lightwave CA necessity in my book.

Thanx!

ericsmith
04-05-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure I follow what you're asking for.

If you import audio into Lightwave, you can scrub and hear the audio right now.

What I do find interesting is that I've heard reports that audio in Lightwave is really bad, but I've never experienced that. It may not play back as smoothly as a video editing app, but it really only gets choppy if the scene is too heavy for good openGL playback, which makes sense anyways.

When I do lipsync, I just work with the face mesh. The scene is extremely light, and plays back at well over 30 fps, and audio works quite smoothly.

Eric

Digital Hermit
04-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Hmm I have always had trouble with it.... must be on my end... I'll figure it out, I guess I gotta troubleshoot it some more.

When I do lipsync, I just work with the face mesh. The scene is extremely light, and plays back at well over 30 fps, and audio works quite smoothly.

Eric

Ya, that's what I am liking about your software already... you could be seeing some mola comin' your way in the next few days! :D

Thanx

ericsmith
04-05-2008, 12:16 PM
On a side note, one of the things that's really clever about Maestro is something we call "Pane association". Originally, this was created so that the control interface would work with any character (or multiple characters) you had in the scene, as opposed to being tied to a specific character.

But the fortunate side effect of this process was that it made it very easy to port animation data between different characters, or the same character in various stages of development.

For example, I can isolate the head of a character, rig that with just the facial rig in an isolated scene, and then export the facial animation to a file.

Then, in the final scene, with the full character rigged with both the body and facial rigs, I can load that animation file and it will automatically apply.

I can even apply that animation to a different character just by having that character's pane active.

Ultimately, doing a big project in bite sized modules is the key to getting it done. And Maestro was designed to make that a very easy process.

Eric

bta1701
04-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Eric - is there a specific Maestro forum somewhere? I'm really digging Maestro 2.32, and would like a Maestro-specific resource to pore through.

bart

goodrichm
04-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Maybe these links will help...MG

http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/Maestrodemos/

http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

ericsmith
04-20-2008, 04:51 PM
And don't be afraid to email me if you have questions. You can even send me characters and scenes if you need me to look at issues first hand. I do that fairly often.

Eric

drfoley
04-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Hey Guys,

Is there a Maestro-Motionbuilder rig out there? Dale, a friend of mine, said there was one on the way.

Thinking about buying MotionBuilder 7.5 soon.

Thanks,

ericsmith
04-21-2008, 09:11 AM
There's a rig specifically designed to work with Motion Builder included with Maestro. It's pretty much an FK only rig, but the benefit is that you can do additional animation to the character on a seperate layer than the mocap style "keyframe on every frame" data that comes in from MB.

Eric

bta1701
04-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Maybe these links will help...MG

http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/Maestrodemos/

http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Thanks, I just recently found out about the Maestrodemos page - cool stuff! I didn't know 'bout the kurv forum, though. Looks a little dated, but every bit helps!

bart