PDA

View Full Version : Much as Im looking forward to 9.5...

RebelHill
03-18-2008, 05:34 AM
the new features look and sound great... the fur, the ies lights, etc.... all diamond. There is however one thing that Im absolutely CRYING out for.... and thats some better deformation control.

I started buggering about checking out mayas rigging and skinning recently... so those who are familiar will know what im on about.

When... when are we going to get simple mesh smooth operators, like flexors, so we can stop messing about with endlessly revising weights over and over... adding hold bones here there n everywhere, and still not get the deformation we're after in places like shoulders and hips. When will we see something akin to wrap deformers... so that we can iron out the creases of morf maps that overlap one another causing distortion, and start to be able to apply lil tricks like muscle sim and so on (ok muscles... probs a longer way off... but wrap... WRAP!!)

Dont get me wrong... being an animator i look forward to the new Ik, bone, and character nik naks that we're promised for 9.5.... but, tbh... ive gotten so used to working with LWs existing system that rigging and animation are a real snap for me now.. but still, what i crave, almost more than any other feature.... is a DECENT SET OF CONTROLS/OPTIONS FOR HANDLING DEFORMATIONS.....

i thank u.:hey:

Steamthrower
03-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Is that possibly the IK/FK blending also announced?

RebelHill
03-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Is that possibly the IK/FK blending also announced?

No, its not... IkFk blending we already got... either with plgIK... or older methods, such as maprange, or orient constraints.... though, I seriously reckon that these "new IK tools" are actually just going to be plg having been integrated directly... thats my guess.

Lewis
03-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Not all can be done at once :). Actually it can but then we wouldn't see 9.5 for another year or so to alow DEV team to make everything we want at once :).

StokeBish
03-18-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm an animator too and I agree completely with what you say. However, it's difficult to do because of the separation of Layout and Modeler. But we are promised "state of the art" CA during the LW 9 cycle, so it's looking promising, but probably not in 9.5.

RebelHill
03-18-2008, 01:45 PM
dont see how its a modeller/layout issue... if we're trying to model perfect joint morfs, sure... but really layouts got stuff like effectors in displacement, and many others... thats all it needs... a way to, say, weight a body to some bones, weight the arm to others, leaving a few rows of vertices in the shoulder unweighted, attatch a "mesh smooth" effector at that point, and badda bing... thats how it should work... or in the case of wrap, two meshes, wrap deform displacement, select wrap mesh.. etc... i cant understand why such commonplace deformation tools (in other packages) have never made it into LW....

btw.... havent we been promised all new, sparkly CA tools since back in the LW8 cycle??? Proof is in the pudding.

Steamthrower
03-18-2008, 03:53 PM
They've also had to do a core rewrite...this has been discussed literally thousands of times in these threads.

hrgiger
03-18-2008, 05:33 PM
What we NEED is vertex control in Layout. Jay mentioned a few to several months back that their first tests with point animation in Layout didn't go so hot. I took it to mean at the time that they were back to the drawing board on that one. I'm hoping to hear more news on that front in the near future.