PDA

View Full Version : FPrime, Cache Radiosity or bake?

Opusnet
03-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi Guys,

I have upcoming projects dealing with interiors that have to be rendered in HD size (1920 X 1080 pixels). Im thinking of changing the techniques i used to render that is setup the lightings, animate it and set to render then retrieve it after few days to weeks later depending on the duration of the animations.

Now, which is the best way to do it considering that i have detailed products in the setting (see attached)?

1) FPrime? Still normal render but is faster

2) Cache radiosity? Does it works efficiently without problems?

3) Bake the textures? Will it have problems and how long will it takes to bake it for example the kind of settings i attached. I remembered trying it out before and seems to take ages to render and has problems on the textures.

4) Or any other better ways that i left out?

Regards.

Opusnet
03-18-2008, 12:28 AM
sorry, what meant was how to make the final rendering process to be a lot faster. I wanted to try out the textures baking since the objects in the environment are not moving but just want to seek for advices.

regards.

globalnode
03-18-2008, 12:30 AM
What version are you using?
are you using a render farm?

firstsingle
03-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Nice work Opusnet

kopperdrake
03-18-2008, 02:14 AM
Personally I use Final Gather with cached solution, but you need to do a test as at the moment with 9.3.1 it caches to memory so you can only render on one machine, but it's fast with the right settings. If you want to use multiple machines then you need to render in predetermined segments with an overlap of frames to prevent a lighting 'step' between each of the machines own radiosity solutions. I overlap by 50 frames and it works seemlessly. Also bear in mind the larger your animation the larger the solution will be as it writes to memory... you can run out of memory. LW9.5 I believe has disk-caches solution which will help enormously.

The upside of using final gather is you get to use real lens camera...nice :thumbsup:

Opusnet
03-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi globalnode,

im using version 8.5 now, just bought the new version but still waiting for arrival! Im not using render farm.. :(

Hi firstsingle,

Thanks. Forggotten to state down. First 2 pixs were done using Lightwave rendered using FPrime, The last one was done using Maxwell Render but never use as animation coz is taking quite a long time to render. The reason why i attached it was that i do like to achieve its kind of look using other techniques that will not take up too much time to render.

Hi kopperdrake,

Thanks for the advice, will try it out a soon when i get hold of the latest copy. Have you tried using texture baking? Which will you prefer between what you suggested and texture baking? and why? Sorry to ask so much... :)

Has anyone tried using baking the textures, how is it?

globalnode
03-18-2008, 10:27 PM
I your not going to use 9.3 then I would use fprime. If you wait till you get your 9.3 then, I would use cache... baking will also be easier in 9.3 if you decide to go that route...but setting up all those UVs can be a pain.

kopperdrake
03-19-2008, 02:38 AM
I stay away from baking as I never know how close to an object the camera might need to get - you know what client's are like, always changing their minds :)