PDA

View Full Version : Radiohead: Animate our video, win prizes....

Jim_C
03-17-2008, 04:46 PM
http://www.aniboom.com/radiohead

I think you can pick any song off of In Rainbows

RULES etc etc (http://www.aniboom.com/Pages/Application/Competitions/Radiohead/RadioheadAdditionalInfo.aspx)

akademus
03-17-2008, 04:49 PM
For some strange reason Video Killed Radio Star tune just went through my head... :D

Jim_C
03-17-2008, 04:56 PM
The odd thing is that all you can ever win is money to make another part of the Radiohead video.

You send in storyboard, if chosen you get 1 grand to make a 1 minute video, if that is chosen you then get 10 grand to make the full video...then....

that's it..!! Thanks for all your free time and effort in making our video!!

ok.. sure you get the prestige and recognition but c'mon.. time is $$$$

akademus
03-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Well, it's not easy to be a rockstar these days, you know :)

cagey5
03-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Well I would presume that some part of that 10k would line the animators pocket as recompense for animating it.

Jim_C
03-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Well I would presume that some part of that 10k would line the animators pocket as recompense for animating it.

yea true. it says you have a timeframe to do it in, but doesn't say you have to spend the whole 10k on actual hired production.

duh... I didn't think of that...

Lamont
03-17-2008, 05:04 PM
You'd burn 10k in rendering the thing :)

StereoMike
03-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Cool contest (I love the album), but you'd better participate for reasons of honor and glory. If you'd just have the money on your mind, you'd be better off with regular work i guess :)

mike

Titus
03-18-2008, 10:40 AM
How much do you think a music video pays these days?

Considering this could land more jobs I may enter if had the time.

StereoMike
03-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Uh, I thought more than that? Especially when it's animated and not only shot with a cheap dv cam? But I don't know nothing about that section of jobs, it was just my assumption, based on what you could earn with other CGI jobs (I could make better money in that time, ok, _if_ I have a project, could also be the case that I earn nothing when there's no work available :) )

mike

Mr Maze
03-18-2008, 11:54 AM
I think the real value would be having it in your resume...

Iain
03-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Nine Inch Nails are doing a similar thing but with no prize at all, afaik.

I'd love to do it just for the prestige. Particularly when a few of the previous radiohead videos are classics.

StereoMike
03-19-2008, 03:08 AM
true, as I said, it is a nice contest to gain prestige (especially when you win hehe).

mike

cagey5
03-19-2008, 03:27 AM
I recall the occasional thread over the years where some niave film maker has offered a monetary 'prize' rather than a pay for the full commercial value of the work he wanted doing, modelling rigging etc. On each occasion they would be met with derision for trying to get something for nothing usually very vocally.
I see this in the same light, worse actually as they could afford to pay the going rate. Yes the prestige is good and that is what makes them feel they can ask you to work for free but it's still a cheap shot.

Iain
03-19-2008, 03:53 AM
But surely the point is that some uber talented kid who has Flash on his dad's pc could startle everybody with a unique entry that wins.

You wouldn't commission him to do a 500,000 film but the prize would be a big deal to him, never mind the exposure.

I hope hobbyist wins it and I imagine that's what Radiohead want too.

Jim_C
03-19-2008, 09:01 AM
I hope hobbyist wins it and I imagine that's what Radiohead want too.

I think they are just looking to recoup some of the $$ they lost in giving away their CD at the purchaser's asking price.

:)