PDA

View Full Version : Streaming, from start to finish

LMBvideography
03-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi guys, Im new to the boards and am looking for some help. The company where i work recently got a Tricaster Pro and i got put in charge of figuring out how to stream from it. Im not a web guy so i could use some help. I have a few questions that ive looked around for and cant quite find the answers.

1) If i wanted to do some tests here on our network, how can i stream it using just the tricaster? Or do i have to either use another computer through a Digital/Analog converter?

2) Once we get our heads wrapped around it where do i go from there?

Please act as if i dont know anything, cuz im just starting to understand this thing. And thanks a lot in advance.

CreatvGnius
03-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Please act as if i dont know anything, cuz im just starting to understand this thing. And thanks a lot in advance. OK. What page in the manual, relative to simple streaming from your TriCaster™ to another PC, via "Pull Streaming", are you having particular difficulty getting your head around?
-PeterG

sbrandt
03-17-2008, 07:57 PM
1. You need a highspeed connection.

2. You need a connection off the firewall or in a DMZ.

3. You need a streaming provider. I use www.audiovideoweb.com

4. If your streaming on an intranet, disregard 1 through 3.

5. NOW you can go to the manual.

(AudioVideoWeb does have this one little quirk where they give you the URL and the publishing point on two seperate lines like this: Server Name: win.1.c3.audiovideoweb.com
Publishing Point: 1c3winlive6xx5
In the Caster you just have to place them onto a single line.)

CreatvGnius
03-17-2008, 08:12 PM

5. NOW you can go to the manual.

(AudioVideoWeb does have this one little quirk where they give you the URL and the publishing point on two seperate lines like this: Server Name: win.1.c3.audiovideoweb.com
Publishing Point: 1c3winlive6xx5
In the Caster you just have to place them onto a single line.)

Appreciate your interaction on this, sbrandt. 2 queries for you:
1. When you state one "needs a connection off the firewall" - do you mean, "one needs to specify an open port on one's firewall -- for example, "Port 80" needs to be set up in one's router software, as a point for outsiders to connect to? I'm unclear in what you mean there.
2. What is a DMZ, pray tell?
-PeterG

CreatvGnius
03-17-2008, 08:20 PM

5. NOW you can go to the manual...

I don't think it's a bad idea to have the manual open first, with the Streaming chapter before you, to at least read an overview of the subject at hand.

How is "a connection off the firewall" made? and What is a "DMZ" sbrandt? Is that an acronym for something know to Europe only or no? Thanks for your insights.
-PeterG

sbrandt
03-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Everybody knows what a dmz is, but we don't have one so,
my connection is through a seperate server that's not connected to the rest of the lan. It's also used for for an ftp server. It's not behind our firewall, ergo: 'off the firewall'

CreatvGnius
03-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Everybody knows what a dmz is...
Considering our post originator needed info fit for someone just jumping into these matters, I'm sure it might be a bit presumptuous to make that suggestion.

I for one, only understood that to mean "demilitarized zone" -- but in the context of something other than computer networking-speak.

Fortunately, others accept the notion that not everyone knows what a DMZ is, relative to computer networking, hence my discovery of some helpful online sources to cue us less-enlightened folk in to what you were referring to. :D

One example: http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/networksecurity/g/bldef_dmz.htm
-PeterG

CreatvGnius
03-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi guys, Im new to the boards and am looking for some help. The company where i work recently got a Tricaster Pro and i got put in charge of figuring out how to stream from it. Im not a web guy so i could use some help. I have a few questions that ive looked around for and cant quite find the answers.

1) If i wanted to do some tests here on our network, how can i stream it using just the tricaster? Or do i have to either use another computer through a Digital/Analog converter?

LMBVideography: Do you wish to stream audio-video to another computer on your network, just to "test" the streaming capability of TriCaster™ in some simplified scenario, not requiring a server?

If so,
1. Go to a different computer that's on your local area network (LAN) and make certain you've got a recent version of Windows Media Player on that machine. This machine is going to be used to initiate "Pull Streaming" from the TriCaster™ machine.

3. Have some content playing back (or live-switched) to the PROGRAM OUT buss of the TriCaster™ (be sure to have the audio signal present at the audio mixer output, if streaming audio and video).

4. On the TriCaster™, go to the RECORD/STREAM tab. Note the URL that's showing in that interface (You'll note the URL TriCaster™ specifies looks like mms://192.168.x.x.... or something similar: it'll be a series of numbers separated by a period just after the "mms..." (Microsoft Media Stream) header, and just below that URL, you'll find the directive: "Give this URL to your viewer").

5. On the other computer that's sharing a LAN connection with TriCaster™, simply start Windows Media Player, and enter that URL in the text entry area (you might have to right-click for access to that).

6. Once you do that, and hit the ENTER key on your keyboard, a moment or so passes by during which Windows Media Player is "buffering" the incoming feed, and then, in very little time, the PROGRAM OUTPUT from TriCaster™ should be seen, "pull-streaming" to the network-connected machine from which you initiated the stream.

This process is called "Pull Streaming", because the "viewer" machine is initiating the streaming transmission by "pulling it" from an available "port" on the TriCaster™. I pray you are following along in the manual, to compare my notes with those provided by NewTek. I'm no expert, to be honest.

Alternatively, step 5 could look like this:
5. On the other computer that's sharing a LAN connection with TriCaster™, simply start the Internet Explorer browser, and enter that URL in the text entry area (you might have to right-click for access to that).

6. Press ENTER on your keyboard. That action should call up Windows Media Player (version 10 or 11 should be installed on the machine on which you wish to view this intranet stream that's about to be pulled from TriCaster™).

Note: Windows Media Player version 10 or version 11 should be installed on the machine(s) you wish to view the stream on, if I'm not mistaken), even so, I've found that the freely-distributable VLC Player works just fine, as well as Windows Media Player -- for having a remote PC pull a stream from TriCaster™.
-PeterG

sbrandt
03-18-2008, 02:14 PM
???

CreatvGnius
03-18-2008, 02:45 PM
???
Hi, sbrandt. Where'd I mislead the original poster, relative to how to test Pull streaming via other PCs networked with TriCaster™?

Anybody feel free to trounce all over my previous post, :D as I'm desirous of understanding this subject more fully as well.

Is the scenario I provided "not really pull-streaming" within an Intranet?
PeterG

CreatvGnius
03-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Hope this revision is clearer:

LMBVideography: Do you wish to stream audio-video to another computer on your network, just to "test" the streaming capability of TriCaster™ in some simplified scenario?

If so,
1. Go to a different computer that's on your local area network (LAN) and make certain you've got a recent version of Windows Media Player on that machine. This machine is going to be used to initiate "Pull Streaming" from the TriCaster™ machine.

3. Have some content playing back (or live-switched) to the PROGRAM OUT buss of the TriCaster™ (be sure to have the audio signal present at the audio mixer output, if streaming audio and video).

4. On the TriCaster™, go to the RECORD/STREAM tab (for TriCaster STUDIO™ at least). Note the URL that's showing in that interface, and copy it (You'll note the URL TriCaster™ specifies looks like mms://192.168.x.x.... or something similar: it'll be a series of numbers separated by a period just after the "mms..." (Microsoft Media Stream) header, and just below that URL, you'll find the directive: "Give this URL to your viewer").

5. On the another computer that's on the LAN with TriCaster™, from which you'd like to pull-stream the TriCaster™ Program Output, simply start Windows Media Player so you can paste the URL there.
Note: From the menu bar, Right-click and navigate to File > Open URL, and paste that URL in the text entry area.

6. Once you do that, and hit the ENTER key on your keyboard, a moment or so passes by during which Windows Media Player is "buffering" the incoming feed, and then, in very little time, the PROGRAM OUTPUT from TriCaster™ should be seen, "pull-streaming" to the network-connected machine from which you initiated the stream.

Note: Windows Media Player or similar should be installed on the machine(s) you wish to view the stream on. I've found that the freely-distributable VLC Player http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/
or Media Player Classic works just fine, as well.
-PeterG

D3Cast
03-18-2008, 07:00 PM
PeterG, I think that's a great synopsis. Very thorough and (at least on my quick read-through) accurate.

LMBvideography, let us know how those instructions work for you...

-steve

CreatvGnius
03-18-2008, 08:04 PM
PeterG, I think that's a great synopsis. Very thorough and (at least on my quick read-through) accurate.

LMBvideography, let us know how those instructions work for you...

-steve

Thanks Steve -- but a quick check of the TriCaster STUDIO™ manual (pg. 59) reminded me that I did leave off two prerequisites:
First, in the Record/Stream tab, go to the STREAM TO INTERNET panel, and select a streaming profile (For instance, select Windows Media 11 encoding)

Next, press the STREAM OUTPUT button in the LIVE PRODUCTION panel, and

Follow Steps 1 through 6 above...
-PeterG

CreatvGnius
03-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Here, I've posted a final revision, after having caught some oversights and errors in my above entries:

LMBVideography: If you wish to stream audio-video to another computer on your network, just to "test" the streaming capability of TriCaster™ in some simplified scenario, you might try this:

1. In TriCaster STUDIO™, you'd go to the RECORD/STREAM tab, and within the STREAM TO INTERNET panel, select a streaming profile (For instance, select Windows Media 11 encoding)

2. Go to a different computer that's on your local area network (LAN) and make certain you've got a Windows Media Player 11 on that machine. This machine is going to be used to initiate "Pull Streaming" from the TriCaster™ machine.

3. Have some content playing back (or live-switched) to the PROGRAM OUT buss of the TriCaster™ (be sure to have the audio signal present at the audio mixer output, if streaming audio and video) and then click the STREAM OUTPUT button which is located on the left side of the LIVE PRODUCTION panel.

4. On the TriCaster™, go to the RECORD/STREAM tab (for TriCaster STUDIO™ at least). Note the URL that's showing in that interface, and copy it (You'll note the URL TriCaster™ specifies looks like mms://192.168.x.x.... or something similar: it'll be a series of numbers separated by a period just after the "mms..." (Microsoft Media Stream) header, and just below that URL, you'll find the directive: "Give this URL to your viewer").

5. On the another computer that's on the LAN with TriCaster™, from which you'd like to pull-stream the TriCaster™ Program Output, simply start Windows Media Player so you can paste the URL there.
Note: From the menu bar, Right-click and navigate to File > Open URL, and paste that URL in the text entry area.

Note: Windows Media Player 11 or similar should be installed on the machine(s) you wish to view the stream on. I've found that the freely-distributable VLC Player http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/
works just fine, as well.
-PeterG

LMBvideography
03-19-2008, 02:12 AM
Hey guys, sorry about the delay, we got swamped at work today. I didn't get to read all the responses yet but ill look over them carefully when i get a sec. I wont be able to check anything Wednesday, and probably not Thursday, but hopefully Friday. Ill write back as soon as i try some stuff out. Thanks again for all the help. It was awesome to see such a great response and i look forward to my time on these forums.

hqv
03-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Just wondering if there are any restraints on the size and bit rate of the stream. Running Windows Media Encoder on a seperate machine shows a moderate amount of cpu resources to maintain real time encoding.

How large (frame size) and bit rate can we realistically run on a Tricaster Studio before we max out the CPU and memory?

I am also interested in running Flash Media Encoder (better image quality??) and compatible with both PCs and MACs. Anyone running flash directly on a tricaster studio?

LMBvideography
03-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the help. So this is where I'm at. I opened the manual to page 27, and and reading about pulling the stream. I open the streaming panel in tricaster and get some video playing back. It gives me an IP address, but the thing that i think is screwing me up is that i have a public IP address on the box. Its a 67.119... number, which if I'm right is a public IP address. If i am thinking correctly thats what's killing me, because when i go to open it in Windows Media Player i don't get an response from that address. I don't have access to the router so i cant change any settings there, so is there any other way i can get around this? Thanks again. Were looking forward to using the box more for stuff like this and want to get our heads wrapped around it before we take the next step going to a service provider.:tcicon:

CreatvGnius
03-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the help. So this is where I'm at. I opened the manual to page 27, and and reading about pulling the stream. I open the streaming panel in tricaster and get some video playing back. It gives me an IP address, but the thing that i think is screwing me up is that i have a public IP address on the box. Its a 67.119... number, which if I'm right is a public IP address. If i am thinking correctly thats what's killing me, because when i go to open it in Windows Media Player i don't get an response from that address...

You need to know the IP address on your LAN (Local Area Network)? Is that it? If so, you could go to http://www.bitsoft.se/ and download the shareware known as ShowIp.

Once you've installed ShowIp on the networked machine of your choice (have a shortcut installed on the desktop for easy access, if you like) you'll be able to get the LAN IP Address -- and if you're connected to the Internet, you'll ShowIP will also provide you the WAN (Wide Area Network -- i.e., the "External") IP Address -- all this, by simply double-clicking on the ShowIP executable.

Once armed with the appropriate address, you'll type that inside of Windows Media Player on the machine you'll initiate the Pull Stream on.

Later, you'll use the WAN IP address to give to Internet viewers that are external to your LAN.

Note: Please pardon my mistakenly having instructed you to "copy" the IP address from TriCaster™ then "paste" it in the text entry window in Windows Media Player 11.

Once you've got the ShowIp applet open on your desktop, you'll see text not only indicating the "Computer Name", and IP Address(es) but also there'll be 3 text gadgets you can click on. Noteworthy here is the Copy LAN and Copy WAN gadgets, which make it easier for you to then perform a Paste action in the Text Window, once you've migrated into Windows Media Player 11.

Hope all this helps, and know that we welcome you to these forums and are glad to have been of some assist. :thumbsup:
-PeterG
p.s.: If you like the ShowIP applet, send BitSoft a donation.

ted
03-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks for all the great info guys. As we're getting Baptized into the new world it's nice to know others have pioneered the trail and are willing to help. :thumbsup:

One request, since this is new to many of us, don't "assume" everyone knows all the acronyms and language, I sure the he11 don't. :D

CreatvGnius
03-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for all the great info guys...

One request, since this is new to many of us, don't "assume" everyone knows all the acronyms and language, I sure the he11 don't. :D

LOLROTF
:agree: --Boy howdy...ain't THAT the truth! Ted, your posts oftimes usher in a batch of badly needed fresh air. :D
-PeterG

jcupp
03-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Another gotcha: The streaming panel gives the address as http://... but you will have better luck if you use mms://...

CreatvGnius
03-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the help. So this is where I'm at. I opened the manual to page 27, and and reading about pulling the stream. I open the streaming panel in tricaster and get some video playing back. It gives me an IP address, but the thing that i think is screwing me up is that i have a public IP address on the box. Its a 67.119... number, which if I'm right is a public IP address. If i am thinking correctly thats what's killing me, because when i go to open it in Windows Media Player i don't get an response from that address. I don't have access to the router so i cant change any settings there, so is there any other way i can get around this? Thanks again...tcicon:

Why not let us know, LMB, just how you have your TriCaster™ networked with other computers? For instance, provided you've got
1. video on the LIVE OUTPUT buss, with
2. audio set up in the audio mixer, and you've
3. pressed the STREAM OUTPUT BUTTON and
4. entered mms://192.168.... (or what-have-you) in the OPEN URL text entry window in Windows Media Player 11 on the client machine...

There's another consideration to check into:
May we assume you've got a high-speed Internet modem connected directly to the Internet, and behind that modem, you've got a router/switch (either hardwired or connected wirelessly) to each machine, including TriCaster™?

In other words, does the TriCaster™ *and* the other computer(s) connected within the network, each have a direct connection to the router/switch (or to the wireless access point, if not hardwired)?

Or is a machine in question getting it's Internet connection through another computer instead? Please let us know.

Is your client machine *also* directly connected to the router?

You really ought to let us know how you've got them connected, with respect to the router/switch (or wireless access point): directly, or through an Internet-connected PC (or server)?

-PeterG

LMBvideography
03-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys,

How our network is setup is that we have a gigabit router connected to the modem, and all our computers, including the tricaster, are hardwired to it. I think where the problem is is that the address the tricaster is giving me "67.119..." is not a local IP address. I think its a public IP, and that all our computers all have public IP address. And so the tricaster sends the signal out fine, but when our comps try to access it they get blocked by the firewall.

Once again, I'm no network genius. Just my thought that its not a tricaster problem, its the network setup we have now. Maybe I should try it on another closed network and see what happens.

Thanks again for the help, very much appreciated.

LMBvideography
03-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Also, just got this info too.

When I get everything going, i have the tricaster streaming, in pull mode, and its giving me an address. When I type that into another machine using Windows Media Player i get this error.

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occured. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct."

I don't know if that will help at all.

CreatvGnius
03-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Also, just got this info too.

When I get everything going, i have the tricaster streaming, in pull mode, and its giving me an address. It would seem LMB, that you're not making any headway at all these past 10 days, given the update you've provided today (Unless you're withholding some critical details of your progress from us (for instance, what are the first 2 groups of the IP Address that TriCaster's network card are located at, on your LAN (local area network)?

That's the mms://<insert TriCaster's local IP Address or LAN address here> info that you ought to be plugging into Windows Media Player 11 on the client machine, from which the PULL STREAMING is initiated.

We can provide you some worthwhile assist, and with great efficiency, if you care to hit me up via private message, so we can determine how we'll proceed further.

Then you might well "get everything going".
-PeterG

rally1
04-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Might it be as simple as remembering to add the port number on the client machine? Temporarily turn off the windows firewall on the TC for the test.

ie enter mms://192.168.1.55:8080