PDA

View Full Version : A 9.5 question re: FBX

GSullivan
03-17-2008, 04:04 PM
FBX, or FilmBox format, is a motion/rigging format right?

So do I understand correctly that after 9.5 is live I'll be able to send an FBX file from Layout to someone working in Maya for example? Then they can animate the character and send it back to me in FBX and it will load and play in LightWave?

If that's the case then THAT's really the biggest deal in 9.5! Fur and new lights and all that is GREAT, but if I have this FBX thing right then that's EPIC! Please tell me I have it right. PLEASE!

akademus
03-17-2008, 04:55 PM
I thought fbx was actually Kaydara's (now autodesk like everything else) Motionbuilder format. There are (were) LW plugins for importing/exporting fbx data back and forth. Dunno what happened when they joined Autodesk???

GraphXs
03-17-2008, 05:10 PM
They old ones still exist, you can find them here:http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=8229178

They are just alittle outdated, but 9.5 should have the latest FBX support, which willbe great!:thumbsup:

akademus
03-17-2008, 05:14 PM
So that's what happened to that. Thanks a lot!

GSullivan
03-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Right, but hasn't FBX more or less become the defacto file format for exchanging animation between applications?

Lightwolf
03-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Right, but hasn't FBX more or less become the defacto file format for exchanging animation between applications?
That depends on the industry... Collada is catching up quickly, especially in more game centric pipelines.

Cheers,
Mike

Kryos
03-17-2008, 05:29 PM
FBX has for the most part yes. But the versions of the FBX plugs for lightwave only work up to FBX version 5 or 6 if I remember right. I'd have to look again to verify. I've gotten them to install and work in my LW, but it's very iffy. Hope the updates in 9.5 work wonderfully.

Intuition
03-17-2008, 05:37 PM
I use fbx on an almost daily basis.

It can export geometry and position, rotation, scale keyframe data as well as surface names.

It does not really do surface shading/procedurals and even has trouble with projection mappings but it does remember UV maps.

I haven't seen a rigged character come from one app to another with the rig intact. Not saying it isn't possible but I haven't seen it. I am sure this has to do with the different CA tools in each app differing so much.

You can of course bake MDD files if you animated a character in one app and need it in another app.

The cameras are also a little tricky. You may need to set up the camera again in the destination app. The rotation and position may be correct but the FOV will need checking as well as the resolution. If you animated a camera in XSi you may have been using the targets for pointing the camera. You will have to set this up in Lightwave again once the camera arrives.

Point oven does translate the camera well but you still have to check the FOV parameters.

Dynamics can be plotted (converted to frame data) and do stay intact in the FBX file since it is keyframe data.

Until 9.5 comes out you'll have to use the FBX converter that will downconvert teh FBX file to a ver5-ish so that Lightawve can import it. To export from Lightwave to another app is already possible since the other apps can read older FBX files.

I do think this is all fine in 9.5 though since it has been updated. Let me test.

Intuition
03-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Ok, 9.5 works. Didn't need the converter. Exported an FBX from XSI 6.5 into LW 9.5 and it worked fine so I guess they updated it proper. :D

jameswillmott
03-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Exported an FBX from XSI 6.5 into LW 9.5 and it worked fine so I guess they updated it proper. :D

9.5 is out now?!?

Wickster
03-17-2008, 09:43 PM
9.5 is out now?!?
To certain studios maybe. Testing to see in a studio production pipeline environment. Or he could just be pulling our leg, since there are so many jokes about 9.5 lately. But NT did say an award winning individual from a certain studio joined their dev team, so it could be Intuition. Or he's part of the closed beta team. Or I'm just reeally tired and I just took this a chance to speculate something. :)

mattc
03-18-2008, 01:09 AM
But NT did say an award winning individual from a certain studio joined their dev team, so it could be Intuition.

It isn't him. Jarrod davis from Zoic is at NT these days.

Sande
03-18-2008, 01:24 AM
That depends on the industry... Collada is catching up quickly, especially in more game centric pipelines.

Cheers,
Mike
At least Collada WAS catching up quickly, but it has recently also been rejected by some big players due to Autodesk's alleged lack of support.
Fortunately we get both, FBX and Collada, in 9.5. :)

LW_Will
03-18-2008, 02:09 AM
If we want to go from MB version 7.5 to LW 9.3.1 it needs version 5.71 of the importer... which doesn't actually support 7.5 import... found this out the hard way this last week.

But, built into MB 7.5, and available from the Alias website is a a converter that will allow you to convert the FBX file into something that the LW can handel.

Intuition
03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Oh, sorry, yes we do have it but I didn't realize 9.5 wasn't out yet since...

1. I see all these threads about 9.5 being out.

2. There has been a 9.5 folder on the server here for a bit so I figured it was already out as well.

3. Saw another thread just over a week ago that said 9.5 out in a few days.

Sorry, my bad.

But it is 9.5 .. no I am not they guy they mentioned... but yes it does work without needing an FBX converter.

DragonFist
03-18-2008, 10:25 AM
@Intuition

Big question that I have is that the old plug had lots of problems with the rotations being messed up from lightwave to MB and back. Is this still an issue?

If that's been fixed, then it really rocks.

Intuition
03-18-2008, 10:46 AM
MB? Do you mean motion builder?

To and from which app?

DragonFist
03-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Yes, I meant motion builder. But the problem affected other apps as well. Timothy Albee's Facial Animation, for example.

Mostly seen on the trip back to lightwave when the imported FBX would have bones rotated at wierd angles. Coming from TAFA this affected the root node's orientation.

DragonFist
03-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Taking another look at things. One thing that I know that I was unaware of at the time of my troubles with fbx was the above mentioned MB version 5 or 6 limitation. I was testing it with MB 7 I think (I am not sure. It was one that you could download for free but couldn't use comercially and the viewports had a watermark).

Anyhow, the rotation problems may have been from trying to use incompatible versions of the fbx file.

adrian63georgin
03-22-2008, 11:16 AM
I can't use the fiberfx in my macpro quads using leopard ox.

help , thank you

in windows xp pro it works fine

geothefaust
03-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Open beta forum there, adrian.

danielkaiser
03-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Nda