PDA

View Full Version : Computer lockups

ML_Scott
03-17-2008, 03:07 PM
We have been using the Video Toaster since release 2 then moved to 4.

Our VT4 system would lock up randomly (a lot of times during Sunday morning worship) and cause us to completely reboot the machine and try to get the system back up ASAP. After talking with several people it was decided that the vendor used a mis-match of hardware and that was causing our problems.

In January we received a brand new computer from a reliable vendor (regular poster in the forums) and stepped up to VT5. Two weeks ago during a video playback the computer locked up (non responsive and had to reboot). Yesterday the same thing happened with a different video. Our Lead Pastor is about to throw the VT5 and myself out a window if this happens again.

Our typical Sunday service setup:
3 cameras - running composite into SX-8
16 input switcher
2 DDRs with videos - 1 4x3 aspect and 1 16x9 aspect with live set applied
1 DDR with the lyrics for our worship service
1 DDR with motion backgrounds that loop for songs
Title Template running
Preview monitor, Program, VT-Scope, DSK Monitor
RS-8

computer specs (copying from blurry fax):
ASUS core 2 quad Intel X38/ ATX motherboard
Intel Quad core Q6600 processor
Seagate 250GB SATA 2 7200rpm 16MB NCQ for System Drive
Seagate 750GB SATA 2 7200rpm 16MB NCQ x4 for RAID storage
nVideo GeForce 8600GT Silent 256MB PCI-Express video card
2 gigs ram
DVDRW drive
Windows 64-bit
700 watt power supply

The only thing this computer is used for is VT5 - no other software has been installed or will be except Microsoft Office (64-bit). It is networked so our Video Director can move files from video storage drive over.

I would appreciate any and all guidance into solving this.

Mike Scott:help:
Media Director

jcupp
03-17-2008, 05:40 PM
You should really contact the computer vendor. But one thing I would do is see if you can isolate the problem to the CG Designer (if you use it). The VT5 CG Designer is extremely unstable especially with files originally created with an earlier version i.e. VT4. If you do use the CG be sure to do a re-boot before you start the service.

Other than that I don't see any reason from your specs to suspect any problems.

AGentry
03-17-2008, 08:49 PM
"If you do use the CG be sure to do a re-boot before you start the service."

Yes, the CG D was open and in the background when it crashed.

And to be more specific about the lockups, they have not been total freezes. The current video playing would stop and a Windows error message would come up saying "VT5 has encountered an error and needs to close." When trying to close VT5, it would THEN lock up everything, forcing us to reboot.

Is this an issue with Windows? VT5? Both?

Aaron Gentry
Video Director

CreatvGnius
03-18-2008, 09:35 PM
"If you do use the CG be sure to do a re-boot before you start the service."
As a precautionary measure -- I'd recommend your avoidance of CG Designer for Live use, opting instead for getting CG Designer-created images rendered to files playable within a DDR; Then see if your issue disappears.
-PeterG

emg2919
03-19-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm getting the same problems as well. It seems to only lock up though with composite video in preview. Just locks up and stays on the last frame. we can still select inputs, but it doesn't display video as it should. trying disabling CGD and will see how it goes.

vanderwielen
03-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Ditto on CG Designer. We went outboard (downstream) with a CG and eliminated tons of issues. Using the CG wasn't the issue. It was typing and building new ones while on the air.

CreatvGnius
03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Ditto on CG Designer... Using the CG wasn't the issue. It was typing and building new ones while on the air.Thanks for that clarifying statement, vanderwielen.
:agree:
-PeterG

Tod Cole
03-21-2008, 06:00 PM
We use the vt 4, build 4909, weekly for a two hour live production and dont have lockups on air. I will say that i had jim davis build the vt4 for us and we had some issues when we first got our system, like the ones you describe. i shipped it back over a year later and found out we had a motherboard that was damaged. they sent the mb out and shipped it back to us. that was over a year ago and no issues. stick with it- i know it is frustrating but it will work.

ML_Scott
04-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Well, if our pastor would of had a hammer with him yesterday, we would be looking for a new video switcher solution this week.

Again, during playback of a video the VT5 froze/locked up and we had to reboot the machine to get the software running again (not in time to save face, but in time for the second service).

We had no differences in the setup from above (CG designer was closed). We did DSK a title template earlier in the service.

Any help here would help me keep my job.

SBowie
04-07-2008, 10:43 AM
I think the best advice in this thread so far is to have a heart to heart talk with the vendor who assembled your system That said, two points:

1 - A classic cause of 'I clicked something and VT crashed immediately for no apparent reason' is that someone has enabled nVidia's Desktop Management software. This is a known conflict. A search here will turn up many threads (disabling it is not always easy.)

2 - You don't usually need to reboot the system. There are a couple ways to re-set the driver - here's one: check the Task Manager and see if winrtme is running. If it is, kill it.

AGentry
04-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Ditto on CG Designer. We went outboard (downstream) with a CG and eliminated tons of issues. Using the CG wasn't the issue. It was typing and building new ones while on the air.

Does this apply to using the Title Template on the air as well?

We used the TT during the service and it froze during a video maybe 5 to 10 min later and we got the typical "VT5 has encountered an error...and must close" message.

CreatvGnius
04-11-2008, 05:20 PM
... You don't usually need to reboot the system. There are a couple ways to re-set the driver - here's one: check the Task Manager and see if winrtme is running. If it is, kill it.
Steve! I thought winrtme (Windows Real-time Media Engine, is it?) was required for proper VT operation.

Where am I right, and where am I wrong on this? (Anyone?)
Thanks!
-PeterG

SBowie
04-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Uhuh, it is - but when the VT has crashed, it isn't doing anything useful. Quite the contrary it often prevents re-starting VT. Kill it and it will reset when you launch VT again.

kleima
04-15-2008, 09:53 AM
What brand of RAM? If Corsair (one of the best) they have non-standard timing settings (for overclocking) and you must enter the correct settings in the BIOS or you will have an unstable system. In fact, your memory may test bad with a memory testing tool (such as MEMTEST +86) until you have the correct timings in the BIOS.
Also, since you have an ASUS MB, if you installed included MB software called ASUS Gamer OSD (which will have an icon in the task tray) then, about a month after installation, you will start getting BSOD crashes that occur when you attempt to play video in Win Media, or your DVD decoder software. Solution: uninstall OSD (which will also uninstall nVidia drivers), then reinstall nVidia, and the problem should be solved.