PDA

View Full Version : JPEGs won't load into Surface Editor...

richwave
07-17-2003, 10:11 AM
I can't load JPEG's into the Environment/Spherical Map part of the Surface Editor options.

.tga files work fine.

Running 7.5 out of the box (no upates/patches) on a G4 q'silver 800mhz OSX.1.5 256MB RAM.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

mlinde
07-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Sorry, works here. Same machine, more RAM and a slightly modified 7.5 (using plug-ins from 7.5c but not the applications).

munky
07-17-2003, 12:39 PM
try loading the jpeg into the image editor. If it won't then the jpeg importer plugin might need reloading . I always use targas as lightwave seems to like them best for some reason(or it could be just me thinking it does) Or your jpeg is corrupt in some way. Hope this helps If not then send me the jpeg and I'll try it on my machine [email protected]

regards

paul

Beamtracer
07-17-2003, 11:44 PM
-Make sure that suffixes (endings) are displaying on file names. To do this, go to the Finder (by clicking on the desktop). On the Finder menu go to Preferences, then select "Always show file extensions". Everyone should have this option switched on anyway.

-Check that the suffix <.jpg> is on your image, and there are no characters after this. Sometimes applications don't like the old Mac way of giving things 4 digit suffixes, like <.jpeg>

-Was the image file created by Quicktime Pro? Occasionally Lightwave doesn't like these.

-Load the image up in some different applications to see if it works... load it in Quicktime Player, Preview application, Photoshop (if you have it). Even a web browser should be able to display it.

It'll be interesting to know if it's just Lightwave that won't display this image.

richwave
07-18-2003, 02:13 AM
I re-loaded the plug-in that handles jpeg import. It works! The .jpg file is actually on the NewRiders Inside Lightwave book CD ROM (the content directory is set for this while I'm working from the book). Before I loaded the scene/objects that this .jpg file is associated with JPEG importing seemed to be fine. Maybe it's something to do with the CD content.

Anyway - the plug-in reload did the trick. This is my first 3D app. I'm getting to grips with it slowly but surely.

Thanks very much.

Beamtracer
07-18-2003, 02:48 AM
Glad to know that everything is working fine now! :)

richwave
07-18-2003, 03:47 AM
Cheers. One more thing - I noticed that even with plug-ins loaded into Layout for importing, some files (.psd, .tif) wouldn't load. However, switching to Modeller (which seems to have all the plug-ins loaded by default) let me load any image into Surface/Texture editor. Then I just switched back to Layout. Is this normal ?