PDA

View Full Version : What a waste!

Matt
03-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Say what you like about NewTek, but one thing they do well is customer relations.

A friend of mine who had never done 3D rendering before, bought Maxwell back when it was in Beta, all because I showed him the website, and stressed how simple it should be to import models from SolidWorks and render them.

Well, anyone who was on the Beta will know how unstable it was back then, my friend couldn't get it to work without crashing, so he gave up on it, and has never used it since.

I recently asked him if he managed to use at all, he said no, and offered to give me his license in return for rendering some projects for him as 'payment'.

Great I thought!

After contacting Next Limit it turns out you can't transfer licenses, AT ALL, no exceptions, nothing.

This makes no sense, he's never going to use it, which means he's never going to upgrade it, which means NL lose money.

Whereas I would upgrade it and use it - more money for Next Limit right?

Just seems silly.

So, kudos to NewTek for getting license transfer right and being customer orientated, long may they prosper!

:D

Regards
Matt

Steamthrower
03-17-2008, 01:31 PM
And a thank you to you as well, Matt, for alerting me to that little fact about Maxwell licenses.

creacon
03-17-2008, 01:43 PM
That's the case for Adobe, Microsoft and Autodesk too!

creacon

Say what you like about NewTek, but one thing they do well is customer relations.

A friend of mine who had never done 3D rendering before, bought Maxwell back when it was in Beta, all because I showed him the website, and stressed how simple it should be to import models from SolidWorks and render them.

Well, anyone who was on the Beta will know how unstable it was back then, my friend couldn't get it to work without crashing, so he gave up on it, and has never used it since.

I recently asked him if he managed to use at all, he said no, and offered to give me his license in return for rendering some projects for him as 'payment'.

Great I thought!

After contacting Next Limit it turns out you can't transfer licenses, AT ALL, no exceptions, nothing.

This makes no sense, he's never going to use it, which means he's never going to upgrade it, which means NL lose money.

Whereas I would upgrade it and use it - more money for Next Limit right?

Just seems silly.

So, kudos to NewTek for getting license transfer right and being customer orientated, long may they prosper!

Regards
Matt

Derrick_SA
03-17-2008, 01:51 PM
I beg to differ creacon, It's very easy to transfer licenses with Adobe.

- Derrick

I really like software that uses dongles, it makes live so easy, THANKS NEWTEK for your licensing model you use, IT WORKS GREAT!!! and makes sense, and is very very fair.

- Derrick

OOZZEE
03-17-2008, 02:23 PM
It just totally astounds me when I hear these kinds of things as to what kind of insane logic some of these companies use... and the worst part is, they still survive and are around for many years...

Unfortunately, in their effort to thwart piracy, they make the legit users lives difficult.

thanks for the heads up as I was considering it at one time... but I refuse to buy any software with a limit on rendernodes !!!

akademus
03-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Luckily enough I never liked Next Limit software. But it's a good thing to know about their licenses.

Thanks

Matt
03-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Apparently this fact is in the 'User Agreement', so it's fair enough if it's their policy, just seems unnecessary, the only reason I can think of is that it's to try and stem piracy or something, which I can't see working very well anyway.

Oh well, their loss.

alvin_cgi
03-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Tell me about it!!
They told you “buy” their product(license):thumbsdow , but they only “lease” their product(you only buy the "right" to use!!) :stop: to you… that is a big misleading to customer. Give me a break, they should call it “lease” or “rent”!:devil:

RedBull
03-17-2008, 09:23 PM
I just received a birthday present from Maxwell, So i like them today... :)

I got "28 unreleased Maxwell textures, which aren't available anywhere else"
They also offered me 15% of Maxwell Render for today only.... For those that are interested.

Sarford
03-18-2008, 07:31 AM
.... For those that are interested.

How would that work then? You have to buy it couse you got the discount, but then you can't transfer the licence...

Matt
03-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Just had another email back. I asked why this was so and whether it was an anti-piracy policy, from what I can gather this non-transferable license isn't anything to do with them, apparently, but LAW.

"It does not have anything to do with piracy, just a commercial and legal policy that is fairly common.

We are sorry it could appear to you as a loss and hope you understand protections/laws are not decided by Next Limit."

How come other software packages don't suffer from this then?

Steamthrower
03-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Because they don't render slower than a deformed turtle?

Martin Adams
03-18-2008, 09:04 AM
So if I were to buy a licence, then well, die, that licence would die with me. Harsh example, but true.

Of course a way around it would be to set up a company, buy it for the company, then transfer ownership of that company (thus licence included). They can't licence to an individual in that situation because employees come and go all the time. Again, an extreme solution to a stupid problem.

colkai
03-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Makes you wonder how Newtek manage to allow transfers so successfully doesn't it? :p

Of course, it couldn't possibly be that Next Limit hope this glib explanation will convince you to buy another seat could it? Nah, surely not. ;)

Steamthrower
03-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Of course a way around it would be to set up a company, buy it for the company, then transfer ownership of that company (thus licence included). They can't licence to an individual in that situation because employees come and go all the time. Again, an extreme solution to a stupid problem.

Explain that to the auditors.

"Uh, yeah, my company "Maxwell Personal License Transferral, Inc.", that's because we bought this software, see, it's really expensive..."

Phil
03-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Just had another email back. I asked why this was so and whether it was an anti-piracy policy, from what I can gather this non-transferable license isn't anything to do with them, apparently, but LAW.

"It does not have anything to do with piracy, just a commercial and legal policy that is fairly common.

We are sorry it could appear to you as a loss and hope you understand protections/laws are not decided by Next Limit."

How come other software packages don't suffer from this then?

It's twaddle and the key word is probably 'commercial'. They have a similar policy with regard to RealFlow, and make very clear that their target audience for almost all of their software is in large facilities that don't really care about these matters.

mattclary
03-18-2008, 10:24 AM
This is a good example of why the Jolly Roger is flown so high and often by so many.

wacom
03-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Yet another reason for me never to even think of buying Maxwell. There are way too many render options out there for me to waste the money on it- and what client is really going to be able to tell the truth between most maxwell scenes and say a well rendered LW, Vray, Kray, or mr scene?

Not many esp. if you take the same amount of time to setup and render as Maxwell takes to render!

RedBull
03-26-2008, 04:49 AM
How would that work then? You have to buy it couse you got the discount, but then you can't transfer the licence...

No i mean if you Register with Maxwell, they obviously take your birthday and give special offers, so you yourself can register and say your birthday is tomorrow, and you should receive an email with a similar offer (I'd imagine anyway) I obviously used my correct birthday, but that does mean you would need too.... ;)