PDA

View Full Version : NURBS Modeler - MoI 1.0 Released

creativecontrol
03-17-2008, 09:07 AM
MoI is a fantastic NURBS/Solids modeler. I've followed the beta for this package for a while but now it has been released and I bought it. It is truly great, I'm very happy with it. The best addition to LW I've ever bought.

It took me less than 1 day to learn and I jumped right in on a difficult B-17 model. I'll post a WIP later. It worked flawlessly all weekend without a single fault. I'd highly recommend it for anyone that want's NURBS, it's great for anything mechanical in nature. It does difficult blends and fillets with ease. Much faster than trying to do it in modeler.

To top it off, it has a supurb LW object export.

Check it out! http://moi3d.com

I've wanted this capability in LW forever but since it's not going to happen, this is the best solution I've found.

creativecontrol
03-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Here's a few screenshots. Far from complete but gives you an idea of what it can do...

Andyjaggy
03-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Gotta love nurbs.

OOZZEE
03-17-2008, 10:00 AM
hi, can you screenshot that model exported in modeler or layout.

Steamthrower
03-17-2008, 10:12 AM
I'll have to admit that modeling with nurbs is a very cool thing. I was fooling around in Blender and in 5 minutes had a dolphin that would have taken me an hour to do in Lightwave.

But I'm content with LW's current modeling set. I'd try out Moi though if it wasn't tied to Windows.

Andyjaggy
03-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Embrace the Vista inigo.

adamredwoods
03-17-2008, 10:40 AM
MoI is very cool. Strong interface, too.

Side note:
I don't know about the rest of the world, but I strongly feel that it's time for dvelopers to start acknowledging the need for cross-platform: Win, OSX, Linux. The tools are there to do it. A Mac is no longer obscenely expensive, since you can pick up used boxes for under $500.

I've also noticed the Lightwave community has a very large Mac base.

creativecontrol
03-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Here's the export options. Lots of tools to refine your mesh.

creativecontrol
03-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Here's the results in modeler. Also, you can just hit tab and convert it to sub-d's for furhter refinement.

creativecontrol
03-17-2008, 10:51 AM
I tried to use Maya NURBS some time ago and found I was fighting it every step of the way. This has been the reverse. Everything just works. And it doesn't leave cracks in the geometry when meshed like Maya used to.

creativecontrol
03-17-2008, 10:54 AM
MoI is very cool. Strong interface, too.

Side note:
I don't know about the rest of the world, but I strongly feel that it's time for dvelopers to start acknowledging the need for cross-platform: Win, OSX, Linux. The tools are there to do it. A Mac is no longer obscenely expensive, since you can pick up used boxes for under $500.

I've also noticed the Lightwave community has a very large Mac base.

The developer is just one guy. He has already addressed this in saying it just takes up way too much resources to do it. Just not worth it.

Yes, there are tools to do it which don't work. Just take a look at the troubles Newtek has on Mac ports. It's not easy.

He says for the same effort he could make huge progress in further development. I agree with him.

tyrot
03-17-2008, 10:58 AM
dear cc

thanks for the link...and posting images. I love Nurby things... I ll definetly check out ..what i feel though one day (from LWCAD side) we will have this kind of workflow natively

can you also post a bit Low-Poly NGON export?

BEST

Andyjaggy
03-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Sorry mac guys :) Bootcamp is a beautiful thing.

Steamthrower
03-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Yeah, yeah, I ran XP on it, I know.

:roll:

Andyjaggy
03-17-2008, 11:02 AM
couldn't resist, sorry.

Steamthrower
03-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Notice I said that I RAN Windows on it. Not that I RUN it.

I will go off with my Gisele Bundchen home movie, and you can make some hairy freak show.

OOZZEE
03-17-2008, 11:43 AM
wow looks like a clean transfer... did you increase the poly count with the slider or left it at default.

4dartist
03-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Wonder if it'll import .iges models.. I would love it for that. Of course I'm on macs as well...

4dartist
03-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I emailed him begging for a mac version, but his FAQ says he doesn't plan on doing a port any time soon. He said it would take a full year of full-time work to do it.. :( :devil:

creativecontrol
03-17-2008, 12:04 PM
wow looks like a clean transfer... did you increase the poly count with the slider or left it at default.

I increased it a bit from default. There is a lot of control over the mesh. They have a free trial version, I'd recommend playing with it.

creativecontrol
03-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Wonder if it'll import .iges models.. I would love it for that. Of course I'm on macs as well...

Yes, it is the best iges importer/exporter I've ever seen. Load it and export it. I did a very complex model a while back. I'll upload a sample when I get time.

archijam
03-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Finish that bomber and get it on their gallery, fast!

For one there are some terrible examples, second no LW renders (to speak of) ..

MoI is nice.

j.

Steamthrower
03-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Porting that over to the Mac would require a major rewrite I'm sure. Anything based on Direct X has always been a hassle to port (3D Brush for example).

If it was ported...man, sure looks nice. Then again, Cheetah3D looks nice as well. :D

adamredwoods
03-17-2008, 12:37 PM
MoI looks like it has its own interface (not relying on specific WIndows looks), so it doesn't seem bound to that portion of Windows. But if he's making D3D calls, yes, porting it is not practical.

I know technology isn't quite there yet, but I do wish more developers would start their projects with portability in mind.

rakker16mm
03-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Sorry mac guys :) Bootcamp is a beautiful thing.

Yes it is, but sadly only for Intel based Macs. The only option for Power PC Macs is virtual windows which is a virtual pain.

creativecontrol
03-17-2008, 01:18 PM
This was an IGES file I imported (from inventor). It was huge. I had to do it in pieces but it did it.

creativecontrol
03-17-2008, 01:27 PM
dear cc

thanks for the link...and posting images. I love Nurby things... I ll definetly check out ..what i feel though one day (from LWCAD side) we will have this kind of workflow natively

can you also post a bit Low-Poly NGON export?

BEST

I gotta work now but I'll try to do that later. They do have a trial version, give it a try and you can see the mesh results almost real time.

COBRASoft
03-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey,

Developing with portability in mind is really difficult. Every OS has its own goods and bads. The same is for their GFX systems (not to speak of all the rest like file systems, memory, multi-threading and so on).

I hoped that Microsoft.Net would bring more portability into this world. That was the initial idea but they failed somehow. Although, now they have this awesome SilverLight 2.0 coming up and it's working on Mac and soon Linux too. It is their answer to Flash actually for dynamic websites.

I remember reading about Amiga Inc. and their 'new' development environment which works on every CPU in the world... But, no big succes there (yet).

Greetings,
Sigurd

lesterfoster
03-18-2008, 12:42 AM
I downloaded the demo and installed this program MoI. But every time that I try it, I get this message

A monitor program has been found running on your system. Please, unload it from memory and restart your program.

What dose this mean and how can I get around it. I would like to try this program.

Attached is a screen shot of the message that I am getting every time that I try to start the program.:thumbsdow

Medi8or
03-18-2008, 05:18 AM
Seems like it has some kind of software protection in it.
Google came up with this info: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Packers-Crypters-Protectors/Themida.shtml

Seems you have to disable almost anything that monitors your system/programs..

digefxgrp
03-18-2008, 05:40 AM
I'd highly recommend it for anyone that want's NURBS, it's great for anything mechanical in nature. It does difficult blends and fillets with ease. Much faster than trying to do it in modeler...
Agreed. For $195 you get a lot of nice features and the export to LW is far better than what Ive seen using Rhino.

However Id still love to be able to work with Nurb surfacing directly within LW. Hopefully by LWCad 3.5 or 4, Viktor implements more of these kinds of tools.

creativecontrol
03-18-2008, 06:20 AM
I downloaded the demo and installed this program MoI. But every time that I try it, I get this message

A monitor program has been found running on your system. Please, unload it from memory and restart your program.

What dose this mean and how can I get around it. I would like to try this program.

Attached is a screen shot of the message that I am getting every time that I try to start the program.:thumbsdow

I would email the developer directly and ask him. His name is Michael and he is very quick and helpful with his support. He usually gets back to me within minutes! Great support.

creativecontrol
03-18-2008, 06:23 AM
Hopefully by LWCad 3.5 or 4, Viktor implements more of these kinds of tools.

I really doubt that he will. I think this is a completely different ballpark from what Viktor has done. It would require licencing a very good solids kernal and a complete re-write of everything he's done. They also have a completely different focus. Architectural vs machanical. I don't see it happening but who knows?

prometheus
03-27-2008, 05:15 PM
I just downloaded Moi and its pretty sweet.
It has a nice clean scalable interface and the open gl speed when rotating and zooming is fast and smooth.

Impressive boolean cut when using a curve to cut an object, it does that very well.
Im still a bit confused about show points and edit points handles, for example after lofting an object when trying to show and edit ctrl points it doesn?t seem to work with the lofted object.

fillets looks very nice to.

all the tools are organized in a good way also, so I would really prefer Moi user interface compared to rhino.

Hopper
03-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Embrace the Vista inigo.
Ahhh yes... embracing Vista is like giving a cactus a bear hug. :D

creativecontrol
03-28-2008, 10:31 AM
I've used it quite a bit now and I really like it. The interface is nice. The Direct3D speed is great (not opengl). The tools, like any take some getting used to but I find they function really well once you understand how they work. For mechanical objects, I find it far faster than modeler.

Here's a WIP with some difficult (for me anyway) blends.

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82179