PDA

View Full Version : Newtek Pro Magazine

crashnburn
03-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Did anyone ever subscribe to the Newtek Pro Magazine. I know it has been a long time defunct, but could anyone recommend a similar publication? I currently read 3d World, but would like something a bit more specific to Lightwave.

dwburman
03-16-2008, 06:09 PM
afaik HDRI magazine is the only mag with many LW bits... but it covers apps as well.

crashnburn
03-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for that, I'll have a look at their site.

I'm annoyed because when Newtek Pro went under they had my money for the next subscription and I never got it back.

eagleeyed
03-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Hmmm, good time to mention my current side project I am working on, in case anyone is interested.

I have had the idea for a couple of months, and have been doing it in my spare time, just getting the concept ready, choosing the name, and when I have finished my current project will be working on the mag, getting it off the ground.

Still need to get a name for it, been using 'LightWavers' as a working title so far.

Anyway, the concept of 'LightWavers' will be 'By LightWavers for LightWavers', so anyone can submit articles (tutorials, news, features, etc), basically anything that you will find in a proper magazine, downloadable files will be available aswell that relate to articles that anyone wishes to include.

All content will be submitable by the website that I will create, the magazine will be able to be downloaded for free, as well as any downloadable content.

So basically all free, and being released monthly.

Anyway, I will announce more when it comes to hand, any feedback will be a great help, any ideas, etc, and even if you think it is a bad idea.

Any title ideas will also be a great help. :)

crashnburn
03-16-2008, 06:54 PM
The Wave might be a good title, but lightwavers is good as it it compliments the fact that the input will come from lightwave users.

I'd be very interested and I'm sure you would get support from members of the forum.

It's a great idea, I welcome it and appreciate your attempt to produce something we could all enjoy and use.

eagleeyed
03-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Ok, well I am currently thinking of sticking with LightWavers, due to the point you just expressed crashnburn.

Great to hear you are interested. Anyway, I think I have figured out a first release date for the first issue, when 9.5 becomes Public Release and out of beta, because then we will be able to have a bucket-load of new tutorials that would hopefully help a new 9.5 user out greatly.

Also thinking of a artist feature every month, any ideas on that?

crashnburn
03-16-2008, 07:11 PM
What about an amateur and a professional artists feature. That way people trying to get into the business have a means of making themselves a bit more publicly known and maybe have feedback from people on the forum, And then the professional feature could be people who have got into the business and use this as inspiration and encouragement.

eagleeyed
03-16-2008, 07:18 PM
I love that idea! Writing that down now on the mag's whiteboard, with credit to you of course! :)

hrgiger
03-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Yes, I would just like to add that I subscribed to Newtek Pro and did not get my money for my next subscription. Also ganked out of $100 worth of Newtek bucks. I just like to point that out as often as possible when it comes up. Makes me feel a little better.
HDRI is ok but as pointed out, it covers more then just Lightwave. And considering that Lightwave is the only program I use that is covered in HDRI, it usually doesn't justify the almost $12 to get it out of the store. $12 is expensive for a magazine anyway, I mean, is there money in there or stock options that I haven't found yet? Maybe mine have fallen out with the subscription cards.

dwburman
03-16-2008, 08:24 PM
the cg magazine business seems to be a tough one... especially for lightwave/newtek and lots of people have been screwed out of subscription money.

I imagine doing a monthly magazine-like project would take a lot of effort. Getting people to work on it for free every month might be a challenge. Of course, I'm a bit of a pessimist. :D

eagleeyed
03-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Hmmm, I definately do get your point, if this project does not go the way we hope, it does not have to be fixed at monthly, it may be logical to be released every 2nd or 3th month if content does not appear as often as we hope, or if the team cannot cope with a monthly deadline.

As said, the magazine is in its early stages, but it will get there. I have just brought the domain (www.lightwaversmag.com), and have loaded a temporary Joomla! engine onto it (not sure whether I will use Joomla or myself or others make a custom webpage to better suit its purpose, I am yet to find the power of it.)

Anyway, thanks for the constructive crit, really appreciated. :)

Stunt Pixels
03-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Well I'm still crapped off at Bill Flemming for serious 3d...

I like HDRI mag. I waited for it to have been running for a couple of years before I subscribed though. And, being from Oz, it's more than $12 over here, but worth it. There's bugger all ads, so it's effectively 3x as thick as it looks.

colkai
03-17-2008, 03:04 AM
Well I'm still crapped off at Bill Flemming for serious 3d...
Ohh man, the Flemming Effect.
What's worse is, he always, but always, regurgitated the same tutorials in every publication.
Which normally consisted of, take a box, bevel, cut, knife and tweak and voila - you end up with this. :devil: :hey:

plankton
03-17-2008, 03:37 AM
if this lightwavers magazine going to be available for download in pdf format? that would be rockin!!

Kryos
03-17-2008, 03:45 AM
I'm guessing it will be available in PDF format. There aren't many common formats to use anymore for something such as that.

EagleEyed, if you want, I can see about writing a regular bit for you. I think it'll be interesting, already have it figured out what to do it on. Adventures in Lightwave so to speak. Still haven't learned it that well, so it'd be a reason to start learning it. Mainly an article about the learning and tribulations of Lightwave and decent information on where to go to find help and such for a beginner even though I wouldn't even classify myself at that high a point yet.

eagleeyed
03-17-2008, 04:27 AM
Yes, I will definately be publishing it in PDF format, as well as another format if there is demand for it.

Kryos, I will PM you within a few days. Thanks for the offer and I will definately accept.

Joker II
03-17-2008, 05:12 AM
Just wanted to add that this is really a great idea :thumbsup:

JohnMarchant
03-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Iused to subscribe to NewTekPro, Keyframer and HDRI. I let HDRI lapse after they introduced other software to it,i totally understand why they did it but there became a point where there just seemed less and less.

Ive always thought an online mag was the way to go,it cuts down on overheads and printing which is the major problem and cost.

So i totally agree eagleeyed, step up to the plate my friend and lets see how it does.

Regards, John

Kryos
03-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Yes, I will definately be publishing it in PDF format, as well as another format if there is demand for it.

Kryos, I will PM you within a few days. Thanks for the offer and I will definately accept.

Not a problem. PM me any time. Starting next week I'll be gone for a week and a half. In the military and going to be stuck in the field. But since I'll be stuck there, I'll start getting ideas of things to write about and such, and of course I'll have my lightwave manuals with me. Just wish I had a laptop to take with me. :(

eagleeyed
03-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Joker II:

Just wanted to add that this is really a great idea

Glad you like it.

JohnMarchant:

Ive always thought an online mag was the way to go,it cuts down on overheads and printing which is the major problem and cost.

So i totally agree eagleeyed, step up to the plate my friend and lets see how it does.

Regards, John

Hmmm, I can totally agree with cutting down the costs, plus its better for the enviroment aswell, so even better.

Anyway, I am about a week away from completing my current project, after that the magazine will be the active job.

And thanks to all the people volunteering to help, its really appreciated.

eagleeyed
03-17-2008, 08:18 AM
I have also just noticed I have not made this clear, or at least I dont think I have. I am aiming for this magazine to be free to the downloader, no charge what-so-ever.

So basically this will be funded out of my own pocket. I do already seem to have a good hosting package that I pay for already so that seems already sorted.

So yeah, basically, its free. This will mean that any contributors will be volunteering their knowledge and time to help make this magazine a on-going reality.

JeffrySG
03-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Another idea would be to take some of the great tips and tricks that are going on in this other thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62843&highlight=1001)... and have people do a better write up on them with some screen grabs. That would fill tons of pages alone!

GraphXs
03-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Nice Idea, but it has a draw back, a lot of tutorials, website, and videos already exist, for free and for money. What would make it different from those?

Jim_C
03-17-2008, 12:53 PM
There is NewsTek...
http://www.amigaz.org/category/newstek/

fwiw....

believe Bill is just trying to get it going... (?)

crashnburn
03-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Because a lot of the tutorials etc in the forum are spread out and take some finding. Plus this gives us a magazine specific to Lightwave and makes it accessible to new users. We can have Lightwave specific reviews of plugins and get practical feedback. I think it helps bring more stuff to one central point. It can't replace the forum, but I think it could help and possibly bring the forum together.

I'm very sure that it will repeat a few tips and tricks here and there but will that hurt so much and there will be new users who haven't seen them. We can't just look at this from an experienced users point of view. What about new users too, so I think it will be a big help, we've all been there. But I'm sure there will be new stuff in it

eagleeyed
03-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Nice Idea, but it has a draw back, a lot of tutorials, website, and videos already exist, for free and for money. What would make it different from those?

Thanks, and I can definately see where you are coming from. As 'crashnburn' said, it will repeat a few items, but I am definately aiming for it to consist of mainly new materal. I have already got several article idea's now, most of these idea's focused around newbies. This will by no means be a NewBie only magazine, I am definately aiming for it to have things that every-one can take from it.

Because a lot of the tutorials etc in the forum are spread out and take some finding. Plus this gives us a magazine specific to Lightwave and makes it accessible to new users. We can have Lightwave specific reviews of plugins and get practical feedback. I think it helps bring more stuff to one central point. It can't replace the forum, but I think it could help and possibly bring the forum together.

I'm very sure that it will repeat a few tips and tricks here and there but will that hurt so much and there will be new users who haven't seen them. We can't just look at this from an experienced users point of view. What about new users too, so I think it will be a big help, we've all been there. But I'm sure there will be new stuff in it

Great points, and I definately agree with them. You mention plugin reviews which is a section that is currently already on the idea board.

This also is by no-means designed to replace the forums either, I honestly dont think anything could ever replace the forums.

This is designed to be a interesting read, as all magazines should definately be, while still having useful content that every member of the community will be able to get something out of.

Kryos
03-17-2008, 05:27 PM
personally, I'd say giving articles a difficulty label and such like Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert, so people know which articles they really want to go to first based on their expertise level with LW. It'd be a great way to list articles as well in the description of the issue.

eagleeyed
03-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Brilliant idea as well, love that idea, and now cursing myself for not thinking of doing that, considering I see that in mags all the time :D

Thanks.

Skonk
03-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Yes, I would just like to add that I subscribed to Newtek Pro and did not get my money for my next subscription. Also ganked out of $100 worth of Newtek bucks. I just like to point that out as often as possible when it comes up. Makes me feel a little better.
HDRI is ok but as pointed out, it covers more then just Lightwave. And considering that Lightwave is the only program I use that is covered in HDRI, it usually doesn't justify the almost $12 to get it out of the store. $12 is expensive for a magazine anyway, I mean, is there money in there or stock options that I haven't found yet? Maybe mine have fallen out with the subscription cards.

I also paid for a Newtek Pro subscription, and got a grand total of ONE (1) edition before they went flop. No refud, no nothing.

lardbros
03-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Then there's 3dCreative too. This is 160pages long and downloadable PDF. Good mag, very well set out and has plenty of lightwave tutorials in it. In fact every month they have a tutorial like building a car and they show you how to do it in EVERY major package. Good stuff if you ask me! Not very pricey either!

Skonk
03-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Yeh 3D Creative is a great magazine, but i dont think anyone on this forum would sniff at a magazine with nothing but lightwave related content in too :)

lardbros
03-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeh 3D Creative is a great magazine, but i dont think anyone on this forum would sniff at a magazine with nothing but lightwave related content in too :)

Hell no, i would love it!

I subscribe to 3dcreative, 3dworld and HDRI and i enjoy them all. 3dworld is less enjoyable, but i do like the layout and occasionally there'll be something nice to read (lightwave)! :)

Shame about the front cover of the latest 3dworld issue. The nice watery match looks great on the inside page with the grey sky in the background, but replacing it with a blue cover looks pants. Guess it relates to water, and that's all they wanted!

eagleeyed
03-18-2008, 05:41 AM
Then there's 3dCreative too. This is 160pages long and downloadable PDF. Good mag, very well set out and has plenty of lightwave tutorials in it. In fact every month they have a tutorial like building a car and they show you how to do it in EVERY major package. Good stuff if you ask me! Not very pricey either!

I had not heard about this magazine before until you mentioned it, trying to download an issue at the moment from them but the download speed is terrible (downloading the free lite version for starters).

Yeh 3D Creative is a great magazine, but i dont think anyone on this forum would sniff at a magazine with nothing but lightwave related content in too

Hopefully not anyway, hehehe, else that would be a waste of some work.

masterchief
03-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Articles about Lightwave are cool... but to be better serving to ALL of the community we also need some better insight to apps that are necessary for delivery of the work.

Compositing and not just a brief mention of PhotoShop.. specifically breaking out objects for rendering in Fusion, Combustion, After Effects, etc...

how about how to make efficient utilization of limited hardware resources??? product reviews??

3rd party Network Render Managers using LWSN are basically eating up CPU cycles that can be better utilized by LWSN itself. so.. how about commandline rendering and most effective setups. beit scripts in perl, python, vbscript, etc, etc, etc

sorry... no more ramblings today.. :D

regards,

Steamthrower
03-18-2008, 07:41 AM
I agree on the compositing/third-party parts...as long as the articles are Lightwave oriented. Otherwise the magazine will turn into a "whatever/wherever" mag and that's the beginning of the road of doom.

Some articles on command-line rendering, scripting, etc., would be helpful: but then again it's not like it would be a scientific research magazine...

Giacomo99
03-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Eagleyed- I personally would rather pay for a well-written, well-edited quality product than get a weak one available for free. There's a real need out there for thorough, well-written Lightwave tutorials and I'd love to see it filled. Paying money is not a problem.

Andrewstopheles
03-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Please continue, I am looking forward to it.

4dartist
03-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Ya, I'm very interested too. I never got around too it, but I'd love to subscribe to something that tells about tips and tricks or explains new features as they come out. For example the changes to AA when adaptive sampling became so important... I have it all worked out now, but would have been nice to pick up a mag at the time and have an article break it down. Like how exception did. :) (thanks!)

wyattharris
03-18-2008, 09:22 AM
I haven't subscribed to a good 3D mag in a while and certainly nothing LW related as I lost track of what was available. Checking 3DCreative now.

But IMO, a good format would be a section for introduction and beginners. Kryos' idea would be perfect for this especially in a journal format. Getting used to a new software package is always the hardest part and being bombarded with every feature all at once makes it difficult to sort what is really important to start out with. This way you can introduce a few new features every entry by someone who is just learning to use them as well.

Intermediate and Advanced can probably be one section. There isn't much difference between the 2 and if you've got a handle on the basics, anything more advanced should be encouraged to try.

Perhaps a separate LW for games section. Take all the key concepts used for production and tailor them for the game environment. Key feature here would be to actually show how to put material from LW into a current engine. The concepts are important but to me showing how to get assets into the game is more important.

Like Masterchief said, a section for how LW integrates with other applications and what format is best for exporting etc.

Thats the first batch of ideas.

Steamthrower
03-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Also, perhaps a challenge?

The SpinQuad challenges are always interesting. A similar challenge on the website would not only keep interest in the magazine, but would attract new readers and build up a fanbase.

Safe Harbor
03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
I was the Art Director (and interim editor) for Keyframe (now HDRI) and it is a BIG project to put together anything more than a few pages long, whether for print or online. Throwing it together haphazardly will result in the loss of interest from readers, and working on it yourself will be so time consuming you won't turn out enough issues to keep people coming back. Nor will there be any reward for you.

I would suggest making sure you have all your ducks in a row before you begin. Have your authors firmed up for several issues in advance, with articles either completed or nearly so. Find someone who can do the layout and is knowledgeable about GOOD layout, graphic design and optimizing PDF files for download. And an editor who can SPELL is key. Nothing gives a worse impression than spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors - especially in tutorials where a misspelled word or ill placed comma might cause a problem.

Set some tiered goals for the magazine - maybe plan on having it subscriber-supported by 6 months, or advertiser supported, or something. You cannot do this for free, no matter how passionate you are about LightWave. And you'll eventually lose authors - at least, the quality ones. You'll have to compensate them in some way if you expect them to keep churning out articles.

IMHO, a great online magazine to use as a model for this project is 3D Attack (http://www.3dattack.net/shop/index.php?page=6). It's for C4D users but is a great example of how a focused, well written online magazine can succeed. They offer subscriptions, or a per issue download for $6 each or you can buy a DVD at the end of the year. They also sell advertising space.

Good luck with your venture and if you need any help or a platform to bounce ideas off of, you're welcome to email me.

eagleeyed
03-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Well here comes a huge, huge reply to all of your great comments.
Sorry I have not replyed in the last couple of days, I have been working non-stop on this thing, even when I was waiting for my scoota to be fixed I was working on it :P

Anyways. (wont directly quote anyone, take up to much space)

Inigo07- Really appreciating your help and advice. Anyway, yes, definately will try to keep it LightWave orientated in all tutorials, as you said, path of doom might follow. (thinking of which, I have not played that in ages)

Scripting I doubt will be everyones fancy, but as it is LightWave orientated it will definately make it in there.

Master Chief - I totally agree and ever since I read that a couple of days ago I have been looking into ways to do that, bringing ideas onto my now nearly overflowing whiteboard. Hurdle that I am seeing very clearly is that I might have not the easiest time finding contribs. for that kind of stuff. I will start doing heavy call-outs in a couple of days however for all contributers and see what happens then.

Giacomo99 - First off, um, no comment on the avatar. Thanks for the advice, yours was the first along with many more comments saying I should charge. Thanks, has opened my eyes. I will go into more detail about payments later in this comment.

Andrewstopheles - Thanks for the support and kind words.

4dartist - Yes, great idea. I currently am wondering what I can do to try and do something like that.

wyattharris - Thanks, and I had someone volunteer to do that, which is really, really appreciated, going to PM him after this actually :D But yes, I have all along thought a newbie guide would be a great idea. Thanks for the feedback, and I can see what you mean about intermediate and advanced kinda being the same thing.
As for the games, I will only be able to do this if I find a contributer who is willing to share, as I have no experience what so ever with this.

Inigo07 again - Already in the process *cue evil laugh*

Safe Harbor - Thanks for all the advice, and I can definately agree, it is extremely big.
Throwing it together haphazardly I dont think will ever happen, I take pride in everything I do, and I wont release it if it is not quality.

As for working on it myself, I do have a few people now working on it with me (including friends) so the work load will be still straining, but not as much.

This is all brilliant advice. For the articles in advance, definately planning to do that. I also have people starting to fill the spaces for layout, editing etc.

I have also set tiers in, some of which I will explain shortly, and I totally agree with what you said about not being able to do this for free.

I have just downloaded that magazine, brought a issue, and I definately like what they have done with it.

Thanks for all the advice anyway, really appreciated to all.

Ok, Now, money debate.

Sorry to everyone who got their hopes up with it being always free, but I have been hit on the head with a 'Get back to reality' hammer.

First issue 100% will be free. The next few might be, but eventually a payment system will be in place. It is just logical, as said, writers will eventually want something out of it, which I can totally understand.

Anyway, hopefully this has given a bit more of a insight. Thanks for all the support.

Kryos
03-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Oh? Who'd you PM then eagleeyed? I kid, I kid. I just replied to it by the way.

eagleeyed
03-21-2008, 01:45 AM
I have replied back, and you have replied again, so that is sorted.

Anyway, for all people following the magazine. The start of the magazine webpage is now up, including a brief outline that should hopefully give you a lot of information on where this magazine is heading.

I forgot to mention I will be releasing in PDF. Will add that in a sec. :) After dinner.