PDA

View Full Version : LW 2 ModTools and back

prospector
03-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Anyone know of any tuts for using XSI ModTools and LW?
Need LW 2 Mod Tools and back again kinda stuff

Thanks

nemac4
03-14-2008, 10:47 AM
It comes with point oven which has a lwo importer and exporter

calilifestyle
03-14-2008, 10:51 AM
what limitations does the mod have when exporting with point oven.

nemac4
03-14-2008, 11:14 AM
what limitations does the mod have when exporting with point oven.

It transfers UVs and Surfaces but not mental ray or shader conversions.

cresshead
03-14-2008, 04:55 PM
68k polys max per object or scene i believe

prospector
03-14-2008, 06:48 PM
must be my 2 point polys then cuz it makes a red bar at bottom and nothing is loaded.

OK, on to some other way to get faster dynamics calcs.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

cresshead
03-14-2008, 07:07 PM
just so you know 1point polys and 2 point polys are illeagle poly types for import/export for apps such as 3dsmax, xsi , maya cinema 4d etc

also having points ontop of points [not merging them] can cause import /export lockups and errors.

prospector
03-14-2008, 08:55 PM
just so you know 1point polys and 2 point polys are illeagle poly types for import/export for apps such as 3dsmax, xsi , maya cinema 4d etc

Yea, I am seeing that now.
Giving 2 point polys to subpar programs is anything but good :D :D

Well back to LW hair dynamics

IMI
03-14-2008, 09:02 PM
I guess this answers the question of whether or not 9.5 does quicker dynamics calculations...

prospector
03-14-2008, 10:05 PM
don't take my answer to be anything other than I'm going back to LW dynamics :angel:

IMI
03-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Uh...huh... OK. ;)

What about Syflex?

Are there any good XSI mod tool tutorials for use with LW out there? I'd like to give it a try but have no idea where to start.

jin choung
03-14-2008, 11:20 PM
bleeuuuuuugggh....

is it just me or does that whole exchange seem to bode very very badly.....

imi, don't know about doing the back and forth with lw but evidently your only option is point oven so it shouldn't be that big a deal to wrangle.

as for tuts on mod tool, supposedly, there are lots of good start up material on their website.

jin

prospector
03-14-2008, 11:27 PM
What about Syflex?

I will try it.

Now taking donations for syflex...need $2200.00

:D :thumbsup:

Is this per year???

Maintenance is available for $US 440 per license

Now taking donations for syflex...need $2640.00

prospector
03-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Are there any good XSI mod tool tutorials for use with LW out there? I'd like to give it a try but have no idea where to start.
Lots of tuts come with the download
As for with LW

there are 3 paragraphs in the help files.

That's all I found to work with LW.

IMI
03-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I've been working on the H-L 2 tutorial here and there (VERY cool, btw!), but also had noticed a distinct lack of LW information.
Oh well, if I find anything I'll let you know.

2200 bucks for Syflex? I never checked it out, didn't know it was that much. Besides, I thought you were rich. ;)

prospector
03-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Besides, I thought you were rich.
Yea..but 2200 for something I'm not sure will do hair dynamics or if it does..any faster...
Once you open software it's usually NOT returnable.

cresshead
03-15-2008, 05:15 AM
pooby did a video ages back about moving between lightwave and xsi..maybe he could dig it's location up for you?

phil lawson
03-15-2008, 05:47 AM
I don't know if this works with the mod tool, but in advanced you can use the plot function (under animate) to bake each frame into a keyframe. Then use the likes of .FBX export to import into other apps.

I'm not too sure how good the current FBX importers are for LW, I haven't used that way with lw, but thought I'd mention another option.

Cheers.

IMI
03-15-2008, 06:02 AM
pooby did a video ages back about moving between lightwave and xsi..maybe he could dig it's location up for you?

After quite a bit of searching I found THIS (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80113)

Post # 12 in particular, by Pooby.
Was that what you were talking about, or has he done more?

nemac4
03-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Now taking donations for syflex...need $2640.00

For ~$360 more you could get XSI essentials. It comes with hair, dynamics, and syflex cloth and more.

pooby
03-15-2008, 05:34 PM
What do you want to know?

The basics of moving between LW and XSI are..

Make model (in LW or anything. It doesn't matter) If its in LW, you can import it in XSI with point oven.
If it's not a LWO, you can import an OBJ.

Then rig or apply dynamics.. Dynamics are really simple in XSI compared to LW.
Once you have your finished animation you can export mdds for the mesh and motion files for any objects (such as hard bodies) or just export a LW scene with point oven.

IN LW, just load the mdd onto the original mesh, or load the motion files to the objects and that;s a bout it. Or just load the LW scene you made in XSI.
(Point oven makes scenes that use a point oven mdd reader in LW (plugin) but you can just use any mdd reader)

One thing to note with 2 pt polys is, although you cant export or import them to XSI, you CAN import an object with strips of quads, simulate it, and export an mdd that can be read by an object that you have adjusted in LW to only contain 2pt poly strands.
As long as you use the original mesh with quads as your base and dont remove or add any points, then the mdd reader wont care about what you do poly-wise. It simply reads vertex info.
In other words, you could use XSI cloth dynamics on strips of quads, that once mdd's out are read by LW objects that have had all the quads killed and 2 pt polys joined up into 2 chains. (or just one chain and a bunch of points on the other side that aren't used.)
You could then use that chain as a hair guide in SAS.
(I haven't actually done the above, but I am absolutely sure it will work)

prospector
03-15-2008, 11:51 PM
I was just ready to remove ModTool as it wasn't doing what I wanted and I thought of same thing.
Will try

IMI
03-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Remove it?!?
Blasphemy!
Hell, XSI Mod Tool is the best free 3D program I've ever tried, IMO. Considerably better than alot of the non-free ones, too. ;)

prospector
03-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Blasphemy!
But it doesn't do what I need :D
And I can't think of anything else I could use it for that LW doesn't do.

As far as poly strips.
This indeed does work....kinda

because using guides for dynamics gives a general area for linking to hair strands, some strands go thru skin even tho guides did not.
This is why I need the dynamics taken directly from hair strands themselves.

pooby
03-17-2008, 02:51 AM
And I can't think of anything else I could use it for that LW doesn't do.

There is an outrageous amount of stuff that the mod tool can do rigging and animation wise that LW cannot.

colkai
03-17-2008, 02:57 AM
What about modelling Pooby? Do you think Modeller or ModTool is more intuitive / has a better toolset?
How is ModTool on edges / fillets / chamfers compared to the LW/LWCAD package?

pooby
03-17-2008, 04:02 AM
My plan was.

Move to XSI for animation, but still model and render in LW.

It soon became apparent, that I'd need to make morphs etc in XSI, so I had to learn some modelling.
After a while I found a workflow for using XSI's tools that is really fast and intuitive, and I estimate that I can model about 5 times faster in XSI than I could in LW and I find modelling fun in XSI.
Recently though, I've started my modelling in Zbrush. Sculpting first, then adding topology after, then once done, neatening in XSI. This workflow is even faster and more fun again.
However, this is for organic stuff. I rarely do hard bodied modelling so I couldn't really tell you either way about that. I know that from what little I have done that it's been straightforward.
As regards to bevelling and chamfers etc. Again from what I have done It seems intuitive and everything is interactive and because of the history, can be edited after the event.
I haven't looked at LWCAD, so I can't make a comparison there.

Ian McBean
03-17-2008, 05:51 AM
I'm thinking of using the Mod tool to run cloth simulations, exporting the dynamics out as MDD files, but I was wondering, how does XSI cloth compare to clothFX? Is it vastly superior, like the CA implementation, or just different, like comparing mental ray to Lightwave's renderer?

(I'm assuming Mod cloth is not Syflex, which afaik is only available in XSI Essentials)

colkai
03-17-2008, 06:16 AM
Dunno about it's cloth sim, but assuming it's on a par with the hard bodies, XSI Modtool certainly seems to whup LW in that area.
Going to have to start watching those XSI videos I think! :)

pooby
03-17-2008, 07:01 AM
If I were to score them out of 5

I'd give Cloth FX about 1 1/2 (it gets the extra half for it's ability to use 2pt polys)
XSI cloth 3 (collisions much better than Clothfx)
Syflex 4 1/2 (its not 'completely perfect' but kicks all the others butts)

nemac4
03-17-2008, 08:55 AM
I use LW daily but the more I learn in XSI, the more impressed I am. Mod tool can function as a great LW "plug-in". It's free and worth a try.

calilifestyle
03-17-2008, 04:57 PM
so how about Houdini hd. i mean 99 bucks right . but can you export out to lightwave, i dont know, i dont see anything on their website about pointoven. But if you can what are your thought about Houdini.

RedBull
03-17-2008, 05:22 PM
so how about Houdini hd. i mean 99 bucks right . but can you export out to lightwave, i dont know, i dont see anything on their website about pointoven. But if you can what are your thought about Houdini.

Yeah SESI have Maya lined up squarely in their sites, Houdini is being much better marketed and pushed, commercial training, great support, nightly builds...Honestly this company knows how to wine and dine me, and i like that.... :)

Houdini can export to .Obj and has FBX Import/Export, there are scripts for many motions and channel data available for use with LW. You can easily export fluids for example as an object sequence, or with the latest version use FBX/Collada.

H9's interface and GUI makeover is excellent, i don't usually like Icons, but i find it so nice and useful, i rarely have to switch to new panels or look for options, they are generally already in front of me.

Houdini's strength is in it's power and flexibility, everything can be scripted or
managed, it's brilliant,daunting and hard to master. It's a TD's dream, but it's not the most artist friendly tool ever developed.

Everybody i know will even swear by Mantra, (Houdini's Renderer) Talking recently with TD's from places like Framestore, Core, Mill, R&H.. All of them swear that Mantra is a very capable and good renderer, even over PRman and 3Delight. (I currently use 3Delight) But Mantra takes some wrangling to get good results.

Overall, it's the package that gives back more over time, once you have written a script or made an asset, they can be used over and over, making future projects really much better and easier/faster. But initially, i can do good cloth, RBD and fluids quickly, but setting up a complicated scene, takes proper project planning and thought before even using the application.

It's certainly not for everyone, but the people it is for will love it dearly for a long time. (I see a few LW or Ex-LW users around the SESI forums) :)

IMI
03-17-2008, 06:19 PM
What am I missing here? Houdini? 99 bucks? I know they do a rental, or subscription plan, but....99 bucks? Is that per day or per hour? ;)