PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to fix 'stuck' pixels

pumeco
03-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Is it possible to fix 'stuck' pixels?

Just wondered 'cause I've got one on my new Laptop. I can only see it on a black background (the pixel glows green). It's not much I know, but it's irritating me because I 'know' it's there and that's annoying after what this thing cost me.

Bloody sales policy from the place I purchased it won't accept stuff back on grounds of dead pixels either (something that ought to be bloody well made illegal if you ask me). When they manufacture these screens they make them with the intention that every pixel should work. So as far as I'm concerned, if only 'one' doesn't work - it's faulty - and that's that!

Anyway if anyone's had any luck getting rid of stuck pixels I'd love to hear how you did it. Other than this stupid pixel I can't fault the laptop at all. I've tried massaging the screen, but if I press any harder I'm worried I might crack the screen.

Cheers!

Steamthrower
03-14-2008, 08:53 AM
That bloody sales policy should be bloody illegal and bloody flat out wrong, if your bloody laptop is bloody new and has a bloody dead pixel.

I've had sotty luck with the sotty dead pixels on devices and as far as I sotty well know, there's nothing you can sotty do unless you sotty well try out this:

http://www.jscreenfix.com/

caccipergolo
03-14-2008, 08:54 AM
i see dead pixels evrywere...

Jim M
03-14-2008, 09:28 AM
UK you have the right to return regardless within 7 days - FULL refund.

LAW

evenflcw
03-14-2008, 10:42 AM
I've never had a reason to do it myself thankfully, but some claim that massaging the point might help... really!

http://www.jscreenfix.com/faq/24-what-is-a-pixel-massage (seems to have some other nifty stuff that might help)

pumeco
03-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Thank's for that link (you both posted the same link - duh!) :thumbsup:

I've got it running full-screen right now. I think I'll leave it running until the morning 'cause this pixel is really stubborn. I've already tried the massage approach and that didn't work so I'm a bit doubtful about this screen-fixer.

Still, I'll be well-pleased if it works - so fingers crossed!

As for the policy regarding dead pixels, too bloody right it shouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately, when I paid for it over the web I had to click to say I accept the terms of the conditions of sale. I'm surprised to hear that the law says seven days for refund though, I always thought it was 28 days (I've had this for roughly 10 days).

If I try to send it back they'll only return it to me as not being faulty, and on top of that, they'll charge me an administration charge - b'stards!

Anyway, thanks again, I'll let you know the outcome tomorrow.

pumeco
03-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Ah well, it didn't work :thumbsdow
I'll give it another 24 hours, if it doesn't work they're getting it back whether they like it or not.

Hopper
03-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Here's a neat trick...

If the "dead" pixel is green, well .. it's a goner. If it's red, press gently on the pixel and watch it disappear...

And yes .. it really does work.

pumeco
03-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Damn, looks like mine's a gonner then 'cause it glows green :mad:

That does it, I'm emailing them see what crap they try to pull 'cause I'm not paying over 1200 for a f*cked-up laptop with a faulty screen - I'll take 'em to court if necessary. I wish I'd bought the Toshiba now instead. The one I went for was a Sony Vaio (supposed to be top of it's range as well). If this is the best Sony can do then I'm not sure I like Sony.

In short, great machine with a F*cked-up screen.

Nice eh.

Hopper
03-15-2008, 09:40 PM
If it's new, you should at least be able to fall back to a manufacture's warranty no?

Steamthrower
03-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Man, that sucks once I think about it. Sony Vaios are supposed to be pretty darn nice laptops.

Hope you can get something sorted out.

pumeco
03-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Cheers you lot.

Well, I've had the screen-fixer on just one more night even though green means gone. I just thought what have I got to loose because I can't contact them until Monday anyway. Outcome is good and bad news.

The bad news is that the pixel, as suspected, is still no good. The good news is that when I tried to stick a CD in it this morning, the drive refused to open. That's something that's happened on occasion since I've been using it and I'd put it down to a bug in Vista. But no, doesn't matter how many times I reboot the system now, the drive is dead - not a peep out of it.

I never thought a fault could be good news, but hell, this one is!

As for Vaios being good laptops, I'm hoping I've just been majorly unlucky here. As far as I'm aware, and from what I've researched before buying; Toshiba and Sony make the best laptops. And truth is, apart from this problem, I really can't praise the thing enough so I've decided to chance getting the same model again.

BTW, if you're curious, here it is :
http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=VGN-FZ31Z&site=voe_en_GB_cons&category=VN+FZ+Series

As for those ISO regulations and all, that's interesting stuff. But whatever or whoever passed the laws allowing defective products to get through the net, needs to get their priorities right. That's the whole idea of standards; to ensure they are met. If a pixel doesn't work, it's faulty. The manufacturers ARE able to make perfect screens (all pixels working), so it's obvious that one with dodgy pixels is a faulty screen and should be classed as such.

I agree - totally idiotic!

JeffrySG
03-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Now I'm considering the DELL 2408WFP which uses the same Samsung manufactured panel. I'll order it online of course :)
Please let us/me know how you like the 2408WFP if you get it! I was thinking of getting it but I really wanted to see how people like it from a graphics perspective. I have a Dell 19" UltraSharp that I really like and I'm curious to see how it compares. :)

I'd be using it for 3d work but also for Photo-retouching, and design work.

JeffrySG
03-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm conducting a bit further research on 24" screens, but 2408WFP still looks like the real deal for my requirements, which are pretty much the same as yours: 3d, photoshop work and general design work (InDesign/Illustrator).

As I wrote, it has the same Samsung manufactured S-PVA panel as the 245T and the image on the 245T was simply gorgeous. I used it for a couple days, doing photo work, 3d modeling and a bit of strategy gaming and I had no complaints about the image whatsoever. Too bad about the coil whine from the integrated power supply.

I think I'm ordering in a week or two. I'll post my impressions here.
That would be great! If you don't want to post all of your findings feel free to drop me a PM instead! Thanks!! :D

Hopper
03-16-2008, 04:54 PM
That's the whole point. There are no general manufacturer warranties that cover faulty pixels in TFT screens, be it laptops or monitors.
Maybe for some, but not all. We sent 2 back to ViewSonic, 1 to Tatung, and 3 to Panasonic last month under warranty for bad pixels, and they didn't even raise an eyebrow. We had a 4 day turnaround. We have no special contracts or warranties for these units. I'd rather see them all in the trash, but unfortunately that wasn't my call.

Titus
03-16-2008, 09:29 PM
As for those ISO regulations and all, that's interesting stuff. But whatever or whoever passed the laws allowing defective products to get through the net, needs to get their priorities right. That's the whole idea of standards; to ensure they are met. If a pixel doesn't work, it's faulty.

Have you read the ISO? they classify a monitor by the number of faulty pixels per million. The ISO is working perfectly here, your monitor just don't falls inside the better class, so maybe the computer maker is using cheaper monitors. According to this table (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13406-2) my monitor (Sony) is class I.

pumeco
03-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Well, it's a Sony X-Black with 90% Colour Accuracy Technology on a high-end laptop. If that's not a Class-1 screen then I think that's a really bad deal I've gotten myself. Anyway, I spoke to them this morning and it's still not sorted although there's a small chance I might get some satisfaction tomorrow.

Hell, I hope so.

pumeco
03-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Just thought I'd update this.

I never got anywhere today, and never will, because of buying a Sony.

It seems that the laws of the UK don't apply to Sony, they do to others, just not Sony (they must be special you see). After speaking 'directly' with them today, not only did I learn of the above mentioned showstopper, but that they feel it justified to offer 'only' a repair even though I've only had it about twelve days.

After trying to drum it into the monkeys brain at the other end for far too long, I decided that legal action was the only way to go, offered him a banana and put the phone down.

Majorly pissed-off as I was, I decided to install some test software on the laptop. Not being able to eject the drive meant that I had to use a wooden toothpick in the emergency eject hole. Anyway, I install the software and then press the eject button out of habit and ...

guess what?

Yup, bloody thing worked! The disc ejected like it's supposed to and not only that, it continues to work 'every' time now without fail. The only possible explanation I have is that the mechanism might not have been as 'free' as it should have been, and somehow pressing the emergency eject button has free'd it up.

Thankfully I won't have to take any action over this, but I tell ya, I will NEVER buy a Sony product again if I can help it. Great stuff alright, but their attitude towards the customer is unreal and totally unfair.

My bit of advice here is that if you're thinking Sony Vaio - think again - think Toshiba instead.

Titus
03-18-2008, 05:18 PM
My bit of advice here is that if you're thinking Sony Vaio - think again - think Toshiba instead.

I learned this lesson last year after spilling a glass of water over the keyboard of the vaio desktop at home. The cost of repairing (changing, actually) the custom keyboard was $300 dollars.

Hopper
03-18-2008, 05:19 PM
One thing to remember about CD drives and your operating system. Your OS can "lock" the CD as if it were a permanent file system. Almost every CD drive on the planet now has this feature that is controlled by the OS.

Try hitting the eject button on an AIX, Solaris, Linux, etc... (Linux is configurable for this). It will be a no-go because the system considers the CD volume to be "mounted".

Your OS may have had this "stuck" in some way. I've had it happen several times on Dell systems. I truly don't think it was hardware related.

But then again... you never know.

JeffrySG
03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
^very cool! Thanks for that great review. I didn't know about that online monitor test either. Sounds like the 2408 would be a good purchase. :)