PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Concept Car Renderings?

squeegie
03-14-2008, 08:08 AM
I got a call yesterday about designing a concept car in 3D for a client. I dont even know where to begin to quote something like this. I need to design the interior & exterior, based on some VERY crude pencil drawings. Has anyone ever done anything like this before (for a client), and if so, what is the avaerage rate so I do not end up watering down the market or overcharging?

Sarford
03-14-2008, 08:34 AM
Wow, does this guy knows what he is asking?

Just to give him a ballpark figure,
Designing the inside... roughly 7 days
Designing the outside... 5 days
in total thats 12 days * 8 hours * 75 euro = 8000 euro's

But you'd propably spend more time than this for a final, closed design

Steamthrower
03-14-2008, 08:46 AM
My main question would be, who needs a concept car design but only has crude pencil drawings?

Besides a nerdy zit-faced high school student?

But down to the point of it, I'm assuming that you're able to model the car to his expectations and that the client is a business. Therefore I would say to charge by the hour because this is unknown territory and you might be trapped in a raw deal.

Change up your prices according to your client. Is he a representative of Chevrolet? Charge 'em $25,000. Is he just a small business guy? Charge him $70/hr. It's all kind of relative.

EDIT: Actually, I just read what Sarford posted. He's got a good point!

Nicolas Jordan
03-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Car modeling is definitely more tedious and time consuming than most architectural stuff and should be charged for accordingly like Sarford indicates. I would also make it clear that changes and tweaks to the car design will cost extra since it can be hard to alter a car model once it complete or near complete. Oh, and I would also charge the client more based on the quality of reference material you are given. If the drawings are crude charge more.

squeegie
03-14-2008, 09:02 AM
I have done a lot of work for the guy on other projects (mostly arch-viz), so I know that he is legit. I don't think he realizes what the cost involved are going to be, and I am sure he is thinking this to be similar to an arch-viz job.

He is developing an electric car, and knows what he wants it to look like but lacks the artistic means to visualize it. Every starts with a pencil sketch, so I have no problem with that aspect. He will be using my rendering to gain more funding for further development.

I am pretty confident I can do the work, and it is going to be an interesting project. I just don't want to work for $5 an hour.

Steamthrower
03-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Then if he's definitely legit then I'd say go with it.

If it were me, I'd want to keep my client happy and foster that relationship more than wanting to make a killing. So charge perhaps a bit more (15-25%?) but don't go outlandish. That's just my opinion.

Jim M
03-14-2008, 09:27 AM
15,000 / $30,000 isn't unusual for this kind of job.
Factoring amends, multiple renders, supply of model in preferred format.

squeegie
03-14-2008, 12:25 PM
So a flat fee or hourly? I always worry with hourly rates because the work is done and then the bill is made. Maybe an hourly fee with a down payment?
Arggg.... I hate this part of the business.....

Jim M
03-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Give a flat fee with a breakdown.
rendering, modeling, surfacing, amends etc.You can work a timescale into this without being explicit about the hourly rate, if you wish, but its always good to know what you pay yourself.

Also sometimes worth providing a second pricing option with limited amends, and provisions for accuracy based upon reference.

Also sometimes I work out what the job will cost, with a few options, then get the client to disclose his budget, and work a project plan to that. (having explored the options before the meeting is necessary). If he has no idea of budget, hes either got a very good sized budget or a tiny budget. Thats my experience anyway. Be prepared to say "No, the project cannot be done on that budget, unless we simplify." - Its all too easy to fret over a good client.... If they are a good client they get it, they comprehend. If not, drop them.

If it will be a long project, then part payment on deliverable stages is standard procedure.

HTH

Sarford
03-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Ah, yeah... My figures are for designing only, not modeling rendering etc. I thought you were asked to design the car?

If he wants models and renders etc, this price wouldn't be suficient...

IMPERIAL
03-15-2008, 04:27 AM
Just finished modeling a bus from cad drawing. Since it should look exactly the same the priece was fixed. 2000euro.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81215

If you desighn the vehicle be prepared to change it a lot...so i would recomend to charge by hour for the design and then for the modeling and rendering.
While designing the client will have some ideas based on yours and he will like to see what they will look like ...that means changing...redrawing...so fixed priece for design is out of the question. Development always costs more then manifacturing.