PDA

View Full Version : Layout poly limit?

gpdesigner
03-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Hello all,
I have a question . . I was looking in the manual and could find the answer (not surprised) to my issue.
I was told that LW has a polygon limit in Layout. I am on a MacPro quad running LWv9.0 The model in question is 4 million polys or about. It has been suggested that at this level Layout may refuse to complete the render and bail on me. I want to know if this is correct. Anyone have any insight on this issue?
thanks
gp

Otterman
03-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Ive a similar spec to yourself-running 9.31 on a G5 2.5 quad with 6.5GB and i have run into problems rendering large files with hugh poly counts.

Im currently working on a scene with 4 million and its rendering no problem. However, i remember not so long ago i was working on one with 6.5 million and that proved more problematic. I ended up rendering it in smaller chunks and comping it together in photoshop!

I think at the end of the day it depends on a number of factors-

1, poly count
2, ram
3, and size of output render.

I believe that there is a limit though, depending on if your using 32 or 64 bit! Hum-i hope 9.5 mac gos 64bit....yummy!

gpdesigner
03-14-2008, 08:27 AM
yes I as well , but like I said in the thread below, if they don't make 9.5 64 bit then they can keep it. . . .
at the moment I am doing a test render with 8 million polys to check out the terrain I am in. will post the results when I am throught.
gp

gpdesigner
03-14-2008, 08:48 AM
the render ran out of memory . . . . not enough to sort out arrays . . .
I will have to figure something out . . . my scene wont be 8 million polys but I needed to see what would happen at the extreme.
gp

Otterman
03-14-2008, 08:54 AM
hum-what size are you trying to output to?

Also have you tried playing with the segment memory limit in the global render options? Lowering it or increasing it will help-cant remember which!

Anyone?

gpdesigner
03-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Right now my LW machine is doing a rerender and it is going well . . . I will give stats and the inage in a few moments . . .
gp

Mike Borjon
03-14-2008, 09:02 AM
I had some problems once I got past the 10 million poly threshold. Anything below that worked fine.

Equipment used:

MacPro Quad with 9 GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
23" Cinema Display

Mike

gpdesigner
03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Ok . . .
Scene:
5,968,534 polys
memory 1324.8m
segment memory at 1200 m

Radiosity @ 3 PLD
Time elapse: 6mins 9 secs

No image maps used . . .
My maching is a MacPro 2.66 (intel . . god help me) Quadcore 2 gig ram

This is as far as I went, and the render went smooth . . .
gp

BeeVee
03-14-2008, 09:20 AM
If you only have 2GB RAM, LightWave being 64-bit is not going to help. 64-bit addressing is to allow you to access more than 4GB RAM per application.

B

gpdesigner
03-14-2008, 10:33 AM
If you only have 2GB RAM, LightWave being 64-bit is not going to help. 64-bit addressing is to allow you to access more than 4GB RAM per application.

B

This is not a selling point . . . .
seems like it would be easier for me to buy 16 more gig of ram than it is for LW to come out with a 64Bit Mac version.
So . . . .
If Newtek see's fit to invest in going the extra milage to create a 64Bit version, the least I can do is go to the store and buy some more Ram,
which do you think will happen first?
gp

Phil
03-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Patience will be its own reward, I'm quite sure. Bear in mind that no other CG app has a 64 bit version yet for OS X. Apple forced a late change into Leopard, so everyone now has to migrate some/all of their code to Cocoa to deliver non-commandline 64-bit apps.

As much as it is tempting to blame the app vendors for the delay, the real blame here lies with Apple for changing their mind at the last minute.

toby
03-16-2008, 02:59 AM
Ok . . .
Scene:
5,968,534 polys
memory 1324.8m
segment memory at 1200 m

Radiosity @ 3 PLD
Time elapse: 6mins 9 secs

No image maps used . . .
My maching is a MacPro 2.66 (intel . . god help me) Quadcore 2 gig ram

This is as far as I went, and the render went smooth . . .
gp
*Lowering* the segment memory limit is what you need to do for high-ram renders. The less memory you allow for a segment, the more segments lw will use (each requiring less memory ). Try lowering it to 128, and see how many segments lw will render in, it tells you right below the memory limit button.

If it renders with 1 segment ( which is no doubt what it did with a setting of 1200 ), that's fine, it surely rendered faster than with multiple segments. But if you get a failed render due to low memory, reduce the segment memory limit until you get more segments.

6m polygons + radiosity and anti-aliasing in 6 min. is really good, but try the 8 million polys again, with multiple segments, I'd love to know how well it does -

andym323
05-12-2008, 04:09 AM
Interesting this, I have a scene with 4.58 millon polys on the go at the moment, its not a rad scene, rather more traditional lighting to save time etc, however, I have ray trace everything switched on.

Now, initiall, with the limit set to 32, it would render the first frame of the sequence, then freeze on the second....... of 700 :shock:

So, after reading the above, I decided to check my segment memory limit with a view to setting it at 128 and doing a test, however, since this is a faily new install I've not had much chance to mess with yet, the limit was as stated above, 32!

Being a bit brave, I set it to 1200 and hit F10, its done the first 3 this time before hanging :?

Hmmmmm :?

kfinla
05-12-2008, 03:34 PM
I think i remember rendering about 6 million polys in LW on my old g4 dual, with 2 gigs of ram in Fprime 2.. with GI.. have everything in bounding box mode..

tribbles
05-12-2008, 03:58 PM
I did some tests a while ago, and I couldn't get any correlation between the number of polygons and running out of memory - I was using subdivision patches with displacement, and I tried various methods to work out how many I could use.

It also didn't seem to have any correlation between the /actual/ memory usage and when memory "ran out".

But that was 8.x; it may have changed in 9.x.

toby
05-13-2008, 01:46 AM
I think i remember rendering about 6 million polys in LW on my old g4 dual, with 2 gigs of ram in Fprime 2.. with GI.. have everything in bounding box mode..
Funny I was just doing memory tests with LW. It seems the Mac does have a tangible advantage over PCs ( other than the smooth operation that we prefer ) even with LW. I just did a test with a 16k x 16k pixel map which worked on my 4yr old G5, and apparently you can't go above 4k on PC. I've also heard of someone loading 15 mil polygons and rendering on a mac, I'll try and test that soon. I've never heard of a pc that can handle more than 5mil.

Interesting this, I have a scene with 4.58 millon polys on the go at the moment, its not a rad scene, rather more traditional lighting to save time etc, however, I have ray trace everything switched on.

Now, initiall, with the limit set to 32, it would render the first frame of the sequence, then freeze on the second....... of 700 :shock:

So, after reading the above, I decided to check my segment memory limit with a view to setting it at 128 and doing a test, however, since this is a faily new install I've not had much chance to mess with yet, the limit was as stated above, 32!

Being a bit brave, I set it to 1200 and hit F10, its done the first 3 this time before hanging :?

Hmmmmm :?
You should know that setting it above the amount that it needs to render in one thread makes no difference at all - in a test scene I had, the render memory is (estimated) 414mb, so setting segment memory to 415 or 1200 would make no difference.

The scene was only 1.7 mil polys, but 1.1gb textures. At 1920x1080 It wouldn't render until I either turned off mipmapping for all the textures ( which won't work in many cases because of artifacts ), or set the segment memory limit to *10*, resulting in 9 segments. So you can see how you have to keep going lower and lower.

How many mb of textures do you have? Any JPGs? They really choke LW.

andym323
05-13-2008, 03:17 AM
Actually, I have no .jpgs at all, in fact, the scene I'm working on has no bitmap textures at all, it DID have an .avi texture, but I removed it and decided to render that separately.