PDA

View Full Version : fbx plugin user guide?

daforum
03-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Does anyone know where to get hold of a fbx plugin user guide?
I need to know how to use the plugins to get work done for a college project.

Many thanks.

colkai
03-13-2008, 01:36 PM
If you do a search for FBX on the forums, you should get lots of info.
The process is pretty straightforward, one caveat, if using say MB7 you will need to convert your FBX file to a 5.5 friendly version via the converter that should be with Motionbuilder, or which should be able to be located at Autodesks support area for it.

daforum
03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
I need to export from Lightwave and import into Maya.
Managed to export from LW, that contained camera, light, 3 objects with bones that were doing simple movement; but when I imported into Maya nothing came in.

What I need to know is how to use the plugins properly as I am doing something wrong. Does the filmbox file exported from LW contain the objects or do I have to convert the lwo to obj and place them in the object folder in the Maya content folder?

colkai
03-14-2008, 02:48 AM
The FBX file from LW should contain everything you need. When importing into MB from LW, it retains all data. Do you have Motionbuilder? If so, have you tried importing the LW file into that?

When exporting from LW, the only thing you need to do for MB is ensure you create a null, call it 'reference', parent the mesh/rig to that and ensure your hip / leg parenting is intact before exporting.

Have attached a LW lwo/lws which exports from LW and into MB fine, see if it does the same for you into Maya. If not, I'd suggest the problem lies at the Maya end of things.

daforum
03-14-2008, 03:09 AM
Colkai thanks for your help with this. I don't have Motionbuilder but I will try the LW lwo/lws you have attached as an import into Maya.

Thanks again.

daforum
03-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Colkai. I managed to get your LW scene into Maya 8.0 using the fbx converter.

I had to export from LW using the fbxlw8.0.p
Then convert the fbx file "androg.fbx" using the "fbx converter" into another fbx file "androg.75_2006_11.fbx"
I then imported the new fbx file into Maya. The figure was on its side but all the bones were there and rotated their parts

ie: left-leg bone moved left-leg etc

The same surface colours were also there on the object.
I will have to convert an animation scene and get it in to see how that works.

Do i have to parent all items in the LW scene to a (master) Null called Reference?

colkai
03-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Ahh, now in LW, when the figure is on it's side, what you have to do is select the reference null and zeroise it's rotations, this solves the problem.

Yup, that scene should of had a reference null which should of been exported as part of the FBX. It certainly shows up in MB.