PDA

View Full Version : XSI to LW via Point Oven?

Digital Hermit
03-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Can someone explain to me (step by step) how to export mesh and texture data from XSI into Lightwave via PO? ... or at least point me to a place that explains the process.

Currently I have XSI 6.5 and I can only transport mesh data but lose my textures.

Thanx!

Cageman
03-12-2008, 01:36 PM
PointOvens primary use is to transfer vertex cache and keyframe data between applications. The reason textures and shading aren't transfered is because XSI and LW shading is very different. This is not a bug, just reality when transfering objects between two very different applications. Once you've done it one time, you should then only need to transfer the vertex cache if you update the animation in XSI.

Digital Hermit
03-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Ah thanx...

Then I am really lookin forward to 9.5's COLLADA import/export. I think?

RedBull
03-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Ah thanx...

Then I am really lookin forward to 9.5's COLLADA import/export. I think?

If you need surfacing or procedurals, you would generally bake to image maps, and bring the baked image maps in with your objects.

Digital Hermit
03-12-2008, 04:50 PM
If you need surfacing or procedurals, you would generally bake to image maps, and bring the baked image maps in with your objects.

RedBull, are you are saying I can do that with XSI's Point Oven? Because I just need the mesh and the surface textures transferred accurately into LW... not any animation, at this time.

Cageman
03-12-2008, 05:03 PM
No, you can't have that done by PointOven. You can transfer the mesh, but you still need to assign the textures to the object(s) in Layout. FBX can transfer objects + textures, but how that works with the current FBX version (LW) is beyond my knowledge. I know we can transfer objects+textures into MotionBuilder when exporting FBX from LW.