PDA

View Full Version : lightwave workstation and xp pro

hydroclops
03-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm building a new computer for animation and video and will soon be installing xp pro.

My plan is to install xp on an 80 gig hd and install Lightwave 9.0 on my second 500 gig hd. I'll run lightwave from the second hd and also use this drive to store rendererd image and video files. Xp will be alone on the 80 gig drive.

Later this year I will be installing video editing software and will want to add more hard drives, a raid 0 set of two drives dedicated to video content.

When my system is complete I'll transfer rendered images and video files to my raid drives. My video editing software will reference the files on the raid drives.

This plan is based on lots of internet research, but no real experience setting up a video or animation workstation. I'm not a professional, but I am a serious hobbyist. I have used xp, but not xp pro.

Will this be straight forward? Will xp pro want to load programs into a program file on the c drive? Will xp pro be ok if programs are all on the d drive?

Will xp pro constantly try to have me save all images and videos into the "my pictures" and "my videos" folders on the c drive as xp home does?

Aside from direct software updates, I won't be on the internet with this computer, nor will I install anti virus software. I live alone and will be the sole user of this computer. There is no network. Is there an easy way to set xp up so that I don't have to use complicated passwords and administrator privileges and so forth?

Any advice, ideas, or references would be appreciated. Is there a book I should read?

Thanks,
Dave

StokeBish
03-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Some quick reactions:

I'm not sure why you want to install LW on a different HD. XP x64 has two Program Files directories, one for 64-bit and one for 32-bit applications. I think you may run into difficulties if you don't conform to that. However, you will get better performance if you have the program and data on different drives anyway, so why not put LW on your C: drive and use the 500gig for data? You could always get a bigger C: drive - 80 gigs is minute these days.

The apps you will be using will remember your file locations so you won't be prompted all the time for My Videos etc.

You do have to have an administrator for XP pro but they don't have to have a password. You don't have to have any other users.

hydroclops
03-12-2008, 01:19 PM
My only reason is that windows is constantly updating on my xp home laptop. Same with QT. and it seems like every time I update it, files get reassigned to different apps and settings change...

I'll have more control over this by not being connected to the internet all the time, but I still may want to update my os.

maybe my idea won't help...

xp32 for now

StokeBish
03-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Sorry - I assumed you wanted XP Pro to go 64-bit. However, my comments still basically hold - I'd put the programs on your c: drive and data on the bigger one. The LW content directory keeps your files in order.

Updates shouldn't cause problems - it sounds to me like you've ticked a box that allows QT to change your file associations.

MiniFireDragon
03-12-2008, 04:25 PM
The general rule of building such machines is to have your swap files on their own hard disks, as they will be doing alot of file transfers, and keep the video and animation swap files away from the windows swap file drive. As for software locations, u should keep everything on your root drive with windows. It's doesn't matter where u install the files, file associations will still change if u allow programs to do so.

hydroclops
03-12-2008, 09:55 PM
So the newtek folder with the programs and config files go on the C drive and content, as in object, image, scene, etc. files, and any renders, go on the D drive? If this is the idea it makes sense to me.

My experience is with LW 5.6. Does 9 have a similar set up where you set the content directory?

Sorry, I don't quite know enough to ask good questions...

Thanks to everyone for helping, I'm sort of getting it.

RedBull
03-12-2008, 10:46 PM
So the newtek folder with the programs and config files go on the C drive and content, as in object, image, scene, etc. files, and any renders, go on the D drive? If this is the idea it makes sense to me.

My experience is with LW 5.6. Does 9 have a similar set up where you set the content directory?

Sorry, I don't quite know enough to ask good questions...

Thanks to everyone for helping, I'm sort of getting it.

Any 80Gb drive is likely to be fairly slow at access and data transfer these days compared to the other 500Gb Sata type drives. Also it would seem running IDE with SATA raid, is likely not the best of ideas in terms of performance or complications.

The 80Gb drive will be fairly slow for OS access and use, in comparison and will tend to slow down XPPro.

There is no problem however in loading XP on the 80GB drive, and all other programs elsewhere. Again i would be moving LW and all it's content to the faster drives, and not the OS drive. Or put LW on the C drive and the content on the raid drives like the Video Editing stuff.

Having said all that i think your idea will work well enough without any major dramas. XP Pro is easy to setup with password and annoyances for single users, Vista isn't so nice in this regard.