PDA

View Full Version : TriCaster Size

ACross
03-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I just wanted to see what people think about the size of the products in TriCaster product line and so wanted to post a poll on this subject here. Any comments are appreciated.

Andrew Cross
VP of SW Engineering,
NewTek, www.newtek.com

CreatvGnius
03-12-2008, 03:42 PM
I just wanted to see what people think about the size of the products in TriCaster product line and so wanted to post a poll on this subject here. Any comments are appreciated.

Andrew Cross
VP of SW Engineering,
NewTek, www.newtek.com
I fear a smaller form-factor might minimize the prospect for future expandability, while also potentially increasing ambient temperature, although my fears may well be unfounded.

More significantly, I fear the likelihood of poorer audio Signal-to-Noise ratio due to certain components being in closer proximity to each other, unless more expensive shielding techniques were employed.
-PeterG

jcupp
03-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm not getting complaints that they are too big but rackmounts might be interesting for some of my customers.

ted
03-12-2008, 10:31 PM
I second Peter's sentiments. I would hate to make it more compact and ruin what's working so well and the ability to make the recent upgrades might not have been as easy. It's pretty compact already.

I wouldn't mind having some type of rail system to mount one in the edit bay some day. Not a biggie for us at this time, but I'd bet a lot of facilites would install it this way.

N5XNQ
03-13-2008, 05:28 PM
I agree with JCUPP a rack mount option would be nice. The size is just fine.

Craig

animlab
03-19-2008, 11:10 AM
I love the size of TriCasterStudio. It have enough space for adding few drives. Customers like the extra space to store their live videos.

bob anderson
03-20-2008, 01:22 PM
I think a rack mounted TriCaster is almost anathema to the product. As it stands.. The unit, a flat monitor, and all required cables can easily be carried in a single load, by one person, and can easily fit in the back seat / trunk of any car. Placing it in a rack automatically requires at least one other person, and a van.

I sell LOTS of TriCaster Studios into schools, and school districts, where it's often the librarian moving the gear around, and I've yet to meet a librarian who could heft a 100 LB. rack by him or herself.

I would LOVE to see NewTek come up with a solution for a carry bag along the lines of the one available for the previous units. ( Porta Brace makes a bag that fits the Studio, but it's $399 list) Also I had a conversation with Shuttle, and they said they have a monitor, similar in form factor to the one that was available with the original TriCasters, shipping in the next few weeks. The Tricaster in a bag, and that Shuttle monitor in it's cool bag makes a super cool, portable, and powerful combination.

Bob Anderson
TS Computers and Video

jcupp
03-20-2008, 03:12 PM
I personally wouldn't rack mount a portable TC but we sell plenty of them into fixed installations or into production trailers and trucks where it's a good idea to bolt everything down. An off-the-shelf rack kit would be a plus.

Middle-Atlantic Products has a semi-custom rackmount that works for the Shuttle based Tricasters that we've used a few times but it's spendy and not real secure. It's basically a rack shelf with a hold down bracket and a custom faceplate.

hqv
03-20-2008, 10:02 PM
We fit the tricaster studio, 17" monitor, keyboard, mouse, power strip into a Pelican 1620.

http://www.casesbypelican.com/app-1620.htm

The wheels make rolling very easy and it can be hand carried up stairs.

CLE
03-24-2008, 11:56 AM
My 2 cents... I hate the Sony Anycast station but the love its portability. I love all Tricasters but wish it was a bit more portable.

My idea was to make it a 2-unit piece:

1) A Newtek-customized laptop with a ...

2) A rackmounted break-out box
Something like this: http://www.v3hd.com/

You could ship the breakout box in a case w/your rackmounted mic mixer (and other gear) and carry the laptop w/you on the plane. Connect them via the proprietary cable and you are ready to go!

You could even sell buy different breakout boxes depending on the amount of inputs/outputs needed.