PDA

View Full Version : It's time for you to learn more about VT[3]

Paul Lara
07-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Hi!

In light of the pending public shipping of VT[3], I wanted to invite everyone to stop in and ask about VT[3]. The silence is being broken at long last, after extended Beta testing.

This thread is being monitored by our intrepid VT[3] BetaForce team, who are now authorized to speak to you about some of the exciting capabilities within NewTek's newest Integrated Production Suite. It's time for you to hear from them, first-hand, about what is on your editing, switching and production horizon.

:cool:

videoguy
07-16-2003, 06:18 PM
to all you none- beta force guys i recomend you use any means neccesary to come up with the money to buy the upgrade it would be worth it at twice the price. it is absolutely amazing!!!! to see the least . have you guys ever heard of a system that is faster then realtime. andrew worked some magic to make it so. the cg quality is gorgeous. splines are outta this world. i cannont say enough to compliment the guys at newtek for this miracle of software

pnelson
07-16-2003, 07:15 PM
Having access to the 3D Positioner is worth the price of the upgrade!!

Do your self and your customers a favor and BUY THIS UPGRADE!!!

See Ya,
Philip Nelson
www.glowco.com

videoguy
07-16-2003, 07:30 PM
hey phil, i know this it OT but how are thoose t3 training tapes coming

RomainR
07-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Here are many reasons to rejoice for the coming of VT[3], but here are the 3 big ones.

1-Brand New positioning pannel that'll blow you socks off.
3D rotation and position, smooth edges, colored borders.

2-Splines, oooooooooohhhh Splines, with splines presets.
you can save splines of many clip attributes and then re apply them to a multitude of clips.

3-Batch capture and print to tape and they really do work.

Jim Capillo
07-16-2003, 09:11 PM
All those features and hundreds more will certainly make you smile! For those of you thinking of the old adage "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is......", you'd better think twice (and a few more times after that) before you decide not to upgrade or worse, throw your money at some other platform. The culmination of Andrew's hard work (and of course, his staff of programmers) has produced a piece of software that is going to stand the editing world on its ear.

This is, without a doubt, the most impressive piece of software engineering that I've seen since the original Toaster. Faster than real time...... unbelievable !

Congrats to Andrew, his programming team, the whole Newtek Family and of course, the BetaForce Team!

Great job, all !!!

UnCommonGrafx
07-16-2003, 09:51 PM
Someone posted a silly suggestion, so I tried it...

LW guys'll know this one... Stroke recorder-like.

The three-D positioner people are gonna mention... you can grab and wack it about... while the video is playing... it will record those keys for you. Size it...Live... While it's playing in the editor... move it. Stop it and see the wacky arse fun you've had!!
:D

Once that's done, go to the splines to do some speed ramping... slow it down on a nice smooth curve to 0... then watch it start going backward. That was good for a 5 minute chuckle...

It's amazing, folks, amazing. My girlfriends toaster has truly grown up. Now it's the Vital Technology that makes it happen.

wilebill
07-17-2003, 12:00 AM
Okay, I'm excited!

So when's it coming out?

Billy

RomainR
07-17-2003, 08:33 AM
I forgot to mention for people that have many projects at once and having to bounce from one video drive to another, one feature that I have fallen in love with is the spreadsheet, OOOOOOOHHHH the spreadsheet. Lets you change drive location of multiple clip in a few clicks, two to select multiple clips, one right click, one to selcet the change drive path, and then type in the new drive and then hit enter and and and and you're done.

Oh how I love the spreadsheet.

Scott Bates
07-17-2003, 08:44 AM
Do you do DVDs with TMPGEnc? Tired of having to wait while your project renders to a single RTV so you can import it with Kirk's plug-in? Wait no more! Save your VT[3] project, open TMPGEnc, tell it to use your VT[3] Project File for both the video and audio (not a wrapped .avi or any other A/V file(s)) and TMPGEnc says, "Hey, we're good to go, let's do it!" Fantastic!

videorapture
07-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Tell us more! Whet our appetites. Be shameless. Flaunt it in front of us. Give us the $20 lap dance version. The dirt, give us the dirt! Need to know more! So close. I can take it now. Only days away. Pant! Pant!

tmon
07-17-2003, 02:00 PM
Andrew has reported that this confirmed T[2] bug has been fixed with regards to cuts-only frame accuracy. The spline stuff is great and so is the batch capture and frame-accurate print to tape functionality, but I'm also interested in fundamental, basic editing reliability before I upgrade.

Have the Beta Testers verified that the "errant frame bug" has been eradicated in VT[3]? For cuts:

1. Create a black clip with one frame of white (either at the head or tail), trim the white frame back exactly one frame, test upon playback to see if there is a "flash frame." Do it several times. Another method is to take a clip with at least two shots in it (with a cut transition) and trim the clip back to the last frame before the cut, then play it back to see if the "errant frame" appears.

Also, I have yet to receive confirmation that it has been resolved for 32-bit alpha-channel overlays :

1. Place a video consisting of two different shots (i.e. a clip with a cut prebuilt into it, or two clips with no gap between them).

2. Place a 32-bit alpha channeled graphics file "under" the first shot, enable overlay, and trim it to match the out point of the first shot of the underlying video.

3. Check to see if the 32-bit overlay plays a frame longer than it's supposed to.

As I have said, this was a confirmed bug in T[2]. but I haven't gotten my hands on a Beta VT[3] to test it myself.

Thanks.

agv
07-17-2003, 02:32 PM
I have also run into the errant frame problem on the VT2 and I am anxious to hear that it has been solved before upgrading to the VT3.

If anyone with VT3 access is kind enough to do the test that Tai Jim has posted, and then post the results here, it would be greatly appreciated! Plus, you'll know for yourself if your edit system is frame accurate!

Thanks!

sywitt
07-17-2003, 04:19 PM
I've been dying to let the word out about how incredible this thing is. VT3 is unbelievably powerful. The splines and positioner alone are worth the upgrade. I think that just about every module has been enhanced from T2. Wait 'till you see the soft edges, the borders, the time-banding, the toolbox....... Newtek has really outdone themselves.

ACross
07-17-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by agv
I have also run into the errant frame problem on the VT2 and I am anxious to hear that it has been solved before upgrading to the VT3.

If anyone with VT3 access is kind enough to do the test that Tai Jim has posted, and then post the results here, it would be greatly appreciated! Plus, you'll know for yourself if your edit system is frame accurate!

Thanks!

The fix that I made for frame accuracy will have hit this and all possible other areas where there might have been problems. The problem occured where on any particular track the clip ended without a clip following it. This could have been a problem in cut-aways in A/B editing, or overlays, or even in some cases in straight A/B editing. We now do some clever techniques to avoid any kind of frame (or even field) precision errors that might occur.

Internally to VT-Edit all time is stored in double precision time, so we actually know about time now to better than 0.0000000000000000000000000000001 seconds of precision (seriously) :o

In any case ... I am personally confident that this is the best release of VT that I have personally ever been involved in. When I look at VT[3] and then look back at T[2] (I have them both installed so I can test T[2]->VT[3] project porting) the difference is quite phenominal ... its hard to think this is the same app !

In any case, if you have any further questions, or comments, please do not hesitate to drop me and email. As always, we are always very interested in your feadback (whether good or bad) about our products.

Andrew
ACross @ NewTek . Com

Rich Deustachio
07-17-2003, 10:43 PM
This is a no brainer, if you have VT2 you owe it to yourself to upgrade to VT3. Very powerful, easy to use and fast. So many new features I haven't gotten around to trying them all out yet. The Positioner window is a joy to use. Just about everything you can adjust has spline controls on it including the speed control. You can ramp a clip down to a stop, even make it go backwards.

Brian Peterson
07-17-2003, 10:43 PM
Okay how about grabbing a single frame of video from the timeline and then saving that out to jpeg or something? Do we have that feature yet?

And I'm lost on the TMPGenc thing. I thought it wasn't a good idea to have TMPGenc handle the audio encoding. Can we still export to a wave file and encode to ac3 elsewhere? Preferrably I'd like to have VT3 render the AC3 directly from the timeline.

tmon
07-17-2003, 11:40 PM
Andrew,

The problem occured where on any particular track the clip ended without a clip following it.

Perhaps you are referring to early builds of VT[3]? In T[2], it occurs with regularity in tracks with adjacent clips and I have confirmed this with files and projects that I have previously submitted as "evidence." Both in instances of cuts between clips on the same track and in the case of 32-bit overlays as I noted above.

we actually know about time now to better than 0.0000000000000000000000000000001 seconds of precision

This is very impressive and I'm sure it's significant from an engineering standpoint (I don't even know how to describe what that number is), but the bottom line is that, as an editor, I'm only concerned about 1/30th a second accuracy. I haven't enjoyed this with T[2], so I'm hopeful that VT[3] can provide it. If so, I will be a happy camper and join the VT[3] release party. If not, I'll stick around to whine a bit more since I have an investment to protect both at work and at home.

I'd still like to hear actual testimony from users addressing BOTH of my posted scenarios above. Short of that, I'm hoping to get my hands on a VT[3] workstation myself to perform the above evaluation procedures. I will surely post my comments following the experimentation.

ScorpioProd
07-18-2003, 12:59 AM
I'll address the TMPGEnc question first. Sure, you could render out a single wav file from your Toaster project, but that would be a waste of time, since you can simply have TMPGEnc generate a perfect wav file to go with your MPEG video, again, straight from the VT's project file. This way everything stays synced ever if you are trimming your souce file, the Toaster project, with TMPGEnc's tools! :)

Then you can put that through the AC-3 encoder of your choice, or use an authoring app that can do the AC-3 encoding for you.

Now for some other cool things in VT[3]:

Some say traveling faster than light is impossible, well, the same used to be true of rendering video in T[2], but not in VT[3]!

For those of us, like myself, that are heavy DV/DVCAM users, I often render out my projects to DV, and my projects are often 2 hours+ long! This can take a while! Now the real-time limit has been broken! With my dual-X 2.8s I can render out a project to DV at 2.25 times FASTER than real-time! :)

Speaking of DV support, we can now do anything we did in the capture panel before now only on analog formats on DV streams without uncompressing them. This means for event people like myself I can blissfully capture DV and use chop and reset all I want, just like capturing any other clip, except no decompressing needed, it's a true file transfer, which T[2] couldn't do for DV.

Oh, and Newtek has licensed the MainConcept DV codec, for the best possible DV results! :) Encoding and decoding are much more efficient than the MS codecs that were used previously. There's also a neat "clamp" feature to keep your video legal while you encode it. Works quite well.

In fact, just today the much improved DV support of VT[3] really saved me! One of my drives in my array has crashed so I'm out of luck for RTVs and I needed to do an important corporate job. So, I went out and bought a really big external firewire drive, turned off my caches, and did the project all in real-time all with DV. :)

And yes, you all know I was NEVER happy with T[2]'s CG, most importantly due to the crappy scrolls. Well, Andrew has totally fixed these in VT[3]'s CG. :)

For people using the analog inputs, there's a really neat autocalibration feature where the proc amps can use colorbars to adjust themselves properly for your signal! As long as you have colorbars at the head of your tape as you should, of course.

Nice new features on the VT Vision monitors including zebra bars and illegal video bars.

Lots of new toys in the Tool Shed by Aussie, in the style of some of his great Classic Toaster/Flyer tools.

Tons more stuff, but others have mentioned a lot of it already.

Dan Barnett
07-18-2003, 01:55 AM
:p I think I'm going to be wet!.....

MediaSig
07-18-2003, 02:18 AM
taiji,

Here are my results...

I made a clip in Aura with one frame of white at 3:01. I trimmed the clip in Ted at the frame before the white frame (3:00). I put in in the timeline and added a clip right after.

I kept getting a white flash until I trimmed back to 2:28. I cut some really TIGHT projects and had noticed some issues with this from time to time, BUT I am using a fairly slow system (Dual PIII at 1Ghz each - 512Meg Ram - SCSI Stripped set). The system is fine for what I do, but I don't know if that contributes to the problem - still no matter how slow, frame accuracy should not be an issue EVER! Sounds like this has been fixed in T3 (Thank you NewTek).

As for the 32bit TGA (I'm guessing this is what you meant - thought I didn't try a .PSD file)...no prblem at all. It cuts out every time where it is supposed to. I had it cut out over two other clips (at their cut point) no issue at all....looked closely everytime...nothing. I even did some effects underneath and had the TGA fly in and out via Positioner - still no problem.

Sounds like we have some happy people out there with VT3. You can bet I'll be upgrading (as well as my system). There are still some things I've ranted about on the boards that probably haven't appeared in this version, but I hope NewTek will still add some of these options in the near future (I'll list them later, but they can be found under the Feature Request category).

Thanks NewTek!! Gald to hear some GOOD praise on the new upgrade and I personally can't wait to see it!

;)
Greg

tmon
07-18-2003, 02:32 AM
Greg,

Thanks for the effort. I was requesting that VT[3] Beta testers to test for the Bug(s) in VT[3], not T[2] (I'll edit my original post to clarify this). It's already a known, documented bug in T[2]. The maddening thing is that it isn't always consistent.

I do hope that it's fixed in VT[3], but require verification.

bradl
07-18-2003, 03:15 AM
Here is a taste of a lively thread started by Paul L.
(I edited out all the headers)___________________________

What is the greatest capability of VT[3] for you?
Posted: 07-16-2003 03:13 PM
I'm wanting to know what the Greatest capability for your daily work VT[3] provides. Don't limit this to something that's new in [3], but just the greatest gift in the whole package.

What is it?

That's a hard one. First, I guess would be the matching of different cameras with the ProcAmp, then the matching of clips with the edit panel for DV, then the sheer number of ways to accomplish almost any creative goal one can think of. It requires effort to learn all of the various modules, but it's well worth the effort.

everything in realtime

Realtime Everything is probably #1, I would say the new Positioner is #2, and stability is #3.

Amazing......

Everything in real time!! No waiting to see what changes you've made.

The people is the best feature...you guys (and gals) listening to us editors and implementing our feature requests! VT3 works and feelings like an edit system designed by "real" video editors and not by software engineers.

(That is a compliment to the engineering team to be clear)

Realtime, sorta. CPU's are going to have to get a whole lot faster before it is really real time. Heck of a lot more realtime than any other system I have ever worked on.

Spline Editor.

Integration with After Effects.

The chicks really dig it.

The ability to record and playback several computer generated or tweaked video sources as well as at least 1 analog and or digital input.

This is beyond any other system I know of, and makes VT the box to have for me.

I've never worked with any other NLE, so can't compare VT to other systems. What I love about VT[3] is knowing I've got all the tools I need to put together a really great video production while at the same knowing if I need to make changes to suit a client or particular audience, getting them done is a piece of cake.

Compared to VT[2], what I love in VT[3] are the enhanced creativity and efficiency of CG, the new batch capture capability and motion path/spline controls.
The Video Toaster allows me to work like I think.. When trying to learn a new tool, I simply try the most common sense method and it usually works!

At last and editor designed by editors!

Ease of Use - With the advances in compting technology, all systems pretty much can do the same thing. The seperating factor is, How fast can you complete your project while maintaining the level of quality. The Video Toaster delivers on all fronts. It's easy to use and the quailty is 2nd to none!

Everything real time, and the fact that the tool set is there to compliment one's imagination. For the first time I can really concentrate on creating instead of "to do this I'll have to work around that and then I'll have to tweak this to get through to there and then I'll be able to have it like that, that should get me by." All I do now is say "cool!".

VT3's greatest capability is it makes my clients look good & in turn makes me a valuable vender to them. The people at Newtek have put all the Video Tools needed for me to edit creatively in a very inexpensive package allowing me to compete with major production facilities even though I'm a one man band. VT3 is so straight forward I've been editing for weeks and I have'nt even read the manual yet. (I'm looking forward to chapter 8?) It's staff, dealers & users support each other like nothing I have seen in my 23 years of video. Thanks Newtek!

I don't use this capability everyday, but every time I think about it I am always amazed: this thing can play a stream, add an overlay or something, and record the output back to the same hard drive in REAL TIME (all uncompressed)!!

The chicks really dig it.

You may be onto something there. The relationship I'm in right now started while I was doing a live edit and she was looking over my shoulder at the awesome power at my fingertips. Dead serious.

the versitilty Real time edit on the fly.(live). w/ cg and ddrs and live editing w/ three cameras and other input from vcr dvd and other computer sources to complete a project on the fly. the learning curb is not too high. great product. w/ vt2 I could not do all of those things at once. now I am able to run all and cue .. great

Spline controls

Uncompressed

Realtime

Background rendering

Paul,
You Guys are awsome!!!!!!

Greatest capability HUM that is a good question let me see..

I just spent the Last 4 hours putting together a project for a client that wanted to make a DVD.

He came to me with footage on video tape, DVD, quicktime files, mov's, sequential TGA's, Sequental Jpg's

I brought them all in no problem, edited the files with color correction, scaleing, Triming, added audio files were needed oh yeah! Wav's, and MP3's.

Saved my projects as AVI wrapped files (would be nice to select a indivual clip and render as a AVI wraped file if there is a way let me know if not please impliment)

Meanwhile the CLIENT was saying what is this system your working on? VT3 I said.
Client was saying things wow this VT3 is cool system
Client couldnot belive what I was doing but he was sitting right here in awe

I then went into another program to author the DVD that was easy also since the VT3 now wraps the project as a AVI and for that fact all my programs that can read Avi's now read Toaster Projects AWSOME.

So what is the Greatest Capability of VT3 ??
Easy and fun to Use.....
While the new features of T[3] are great and solidify the product as a whole, my favorite feature of VT has always been the whole storyboard/timeline integration. I know many users edit with the timeline only. But I was weaned on the Video Toaster Flyer with its storyboard only interface and that's the way I still prefer to edit. However, the timeline is great as well and I love how VT-Edit updates both interfaces when you make changes.

My second favorite feature is Beta-Force itself. This past month has been a unique, fun, interesting, and educational experience. Thank you Newtek for this opportunity to help fine tune the software and I hope you continue this in future releases.

Man.... I have to second that! I've had a few students ready to leap from a tall building over their frustration with some of our other editing applications, but all I have to do is sit them down in front of our VT system and let them play for a few minutes and they get this goofy grin on their faces.....one guy told me I had delivered him from evil, which I thought was a bit much, but hey editing should be fun
and not a chore to be dreaded. VT-Edit has put the fun back into editing.

Quality AND SPEED! I can do some amazing AE like stuff in a jif with the positioner and splines in REALTIME. I love the splines!!! We've kicked out 7 commercials in the last 2 weeks that would have taken me a week apiece not too long ago (and would have been impossible not long before that!).

T3 frees my mind to create without worrying about limitations.

I love the colored borders and the soft edges and the shadows and.......!

We've also done a 2 camera dance recital (using the switcher and DSK) a mini-bio, a picture montage where we used the "cut to mark". I love the integration of switcher, editor, wave-vectorscope, cg, paint, 3-d, TBC, procamp, keyer,.....My God!, there's a whole lot of stuff in here!

I love the toolbox!

Most of all, I love the fact that today alone I've heard "Wow" and "YES!" from 2 different clients.

Thanks for the CG templates, too!

Oh, did you want just one?

Spline Editing = Power Curves!

Speed. Looks like we are all speed freaks here. Being able to compose at the speed of thought makes editing even projects and commercials that are not well planned a snap!

The second thing would be totoal system integration. I am no longer tied to one software package. VT3 allows me to find the most cost effective software to accomplish my goals. Thanks for the wrapper!

"Being able to compose at the speed of thought makes editing even projects and commercials that are not well planned a snap! "

This one is a keeper, boys and girls: "Edit at the Speed of Thought ... VT[3]"

Versatility! There is always a way to make it work!

madgitty
07-18-2003, 05:21 AM
Can you bring a sequence of TGA straight into toaster edit, and how far behind is the PAL version

thanks

evexon
07-18-2003, 07:19 AM
He came to me with footage on video tape, DVD, quicktime files, mov's, sequential TGA's, Sequental Jpg's

Can you bring Quicktime/.mov media straight into the VT[3] editor?

Does a large series of sequential images bring VT[3] to its knees?

Does VT[3] run well with dual 1.7 Ghz P4 Xeons? (The minimum system spec according to NewTek is 2.4 Ghz)

Regards,

Steve

Scott Bates
07-18-2003, 07:39 AM
Can you bring Quicktime/.mov media straight into the VT[3] editor?
Don't know, haven't tried.

Does a large series of sequential images bring VT[3] to its knees?
Not sure what large is, but I did over 300 last week and it just purred... :)

Does VT[3] run well with dual 1.7 Ghz P4 Xeons?
That's what I have and it's running like a top :)

eheupel
07-18-2003, 07:39 AM
I really missed the AVI wrapper from Video Toaster (version 1) but the wrapper is back and even better than before- wraps the whole project! For what I do the new wrapper is worth the upgrade price.

dlsutton
07-18-2003, 08:23 AM
Not to mention the MUCH improved DV performance and handling, a WORKING AVI wrapper (woot!) and full LW 7.5 - in addition to the splines and 3d positioning in VT edit.

This is a killer deal.

Dave Sutton
-Binary Planet-

RuiFeliciano
07-18-2003, 09:42 AM
A couple questions to you US-based lucky bast**errr, lucky beta testers, I mean :)

1 - Does editing in storyboard still messes a lot with the layout of the timeline?

2 - Does VTEdit has transfer modes (add, screen, overlay, etc)?

thx

deejay
07-18-2003, 12:29 PM
I've fallen in love with DVD-Lab which uses elementary streams .... can the VT3 directly output through Tmpegenc elementary streams or do they have to be muxed?

I'm sorry I couldn't participate in beta this time as the T2 was enough to make everyone want me for their projects .... I got T3 ordered and I'm digging all of the cool comments.

Thank you Newtek!!!

Jim Capillo
07-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by deejay
I've fallen in love with DVD-Lab which uses elementary streams .... can the VT3 directly output through Tmpegenc elementary streams or do they have to be muxed?

I'm sorry I couldn't participate in beta this time as the T2 was enough to make everyone want me for their projects .... I got T3 ordered and I'm digging all of the cool comments.

Thank you Newtek!!!

T[2]? You ain't seen NOTHING yet !

evexon
07-18-2003, 02:21 PM
Any multi cam editing in VT[3]?

Regards,

Steve

p.s. No doubt splines are cool, been using them in Lightwave and other apps for ages.

Jim Capillo
07-18-2003, 02:44 PM
There is something in the Toolshed for McE, but i haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on its usefullness.

However, it IS written by Aussie, who authored the MCE for the flyer.

sywitt
07-18-2003, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by evexon

Does VT[3] run well with dual 1.7 Ghz P4 Xeons? (The minimum system spec according to NewTek is 2.4 Ghz)

I'm using 1.7's with great success. Maybe the 2.4 version makes the coffee too.

Sy

sywitt
07-18-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by deejay
.... can the VT3 directly output through Tmpegenc elementary streams or do they have to be muxed?

Tmpeg creates elementary streams (click the "create elementary streams" box. This worked with T2 as well.

Sy

deejay
07-18-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by sywitt
Tmpeg creates elementary streams (click the "create elementary streams" box. This worked with T2 as well.

Sy

Thanks Sy, That's how I've been doing it in T2 .... so how does this work in T3 .... does the Tmpeg screen pop up as Windows media encorder does?

Thanks!

Scott Bates
07-18-2003, 03:38 PM
No, you have to open TMPGEnc as a stand-alone app just as with T2. The difference is that all you have to feed it is your VT-Edit project file and it's happy.

deejay
07-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by sbates
No, you have to open TMPGEnc as a stand-alone app just as with T2. The difference is that all you have to feed it is your VT-Edit project file and it's happy.

Just to be clear .......... I point it to my 'ToasterEdit Project' file and that's it? It then 'sees' the entire project and renders it?

What a time saving process!:p

John Melvin
07-18-2003, 04:14 PM
yupp. works like a charm. Tedit project file i.e..

I kept VT2 on my system in case I needed to go back. After working with the first VT3 beta with all of its problems, which were not many for the first public beta, I could never make myself go back to VT2. Not the same program. Huge jump for Newtek. After RC 4 i just deleted all of VT2.

Andrew and the boys did themselves proud.

John

deejay
07-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Thanks John and Scott...
I was about to jump on the beta team when my vendor said it looked like it was about ready to go and asked whether I wanted to just wait for it ... I elected to wait as I still had quit a bit of projects I was working at the time ..... but now I'm ready so where is it?:D

Danner
07-18-2003, 11:38 PM
Favorite new things from what I've seen first hand and didn't see mentioned above.

1. FULL LIGHTWAVE 7.5c !!

2. Better handling of avi files of any codec, for starters, they all render much faster.

3. Auto adjust your video levels to an external or internal color bar signal on the proc amp.

4. The pannel to save and load settings, (can't remember the name)
Say you have a layer with color correction, movement, soft shadow, soft edges, semi transparent, rotated etc. And you want to apply just the movement and color correction to another clip... no problem!

pnelson
07-19-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by pnelson
Having access to the 3D Positioner is worth the price of the upgrade!!

Do your self and your customers a favor and BUY THIS UPGRADE!!!

See Ya,
Philip Nelson
www.glowco.com

I'm flying to Chicago on Monday morning to shoot my first VT[3] tapes!! Whoo Whoo!!

Anything in particular that you are looking for more info on?

See Ya,
Philip Nelson

John Melvin
07-19-2003, 10:09 PM
You need to really demonstrate batch capture and insert edits. This is what the skeptics need to see.

And of course the spline editor.

John

JReble
07-20-2003, 03:09 PM
Did I miss something or did nobody ask the most important question????

Does T3 record audio to the drives at the correct level?? I'm getting tired of that 6 db discrepancy.

Rich Deustachio
07-21-2003, 02:48 PM
The audio has been improved quite a bit. It seems the output levels are very close to the captured levels now.

policarpo
07-21-2003, 07:08 PM
i know you will say it, "this is relevant because?"

but i had too post it!!!!

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8316

:P

jcriss
07-21-2003, 10:59 PM
I just got through playing with the new kick a** CG in VT3. It is incredible. Full control of transparencies in every aspect. Outlines, Faces, shadows, graphics, you name it. Plus it is very stable. I think I am in love with the VT3 CG :D

RuiFeliciano
07-22-2003, 01:45 AM
Hmmm, since no one replyed I'll assume that there's no transfer modes and editing in the storyboard still messes up the edit line, right?

wvp
07-24-2003, 09:35 PM
What can you beta people tell me about the audio improvements? Also, are we going to see more detailed VU meters? 3 band EQ instead of the basic "bass / treble"?
I saw a quick mention of mp3 use - has this been corrected? (In VT[2] mp3 files did not always play back properly).
Also, has support been added so you can use transitions on video with overlay?
Thanks

RuiFeliciano
07-25-2003, 04:57 AM
Let's try another question to see if it's easier and attracts more answers than the previous one ;-)

Is it possible to capture footage in LoRes, do all the editing and then tell VT3 to reconstruct my final edit with uncompressed footage?

SBowie
07-25-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by RuiFeliciano
Hmmm, since no one replyed I'll assume that there's no transfer modes and editing in the storyboard still messes up the edit line, right? Sorry, Rui, I think everyone is so busy having fun with VT[3] they forgot about this thread.

Transfer modes? Are you referring to metafile formats, like AAF etc.? If that's what you mean, then the answer is still "Not yet."

Please identify the specific storyboard issue you're referring to and I'm sure someone will comment on it. (I mostly use it for quick assembly, so may not have encountered the problem you're speaking about.)

SBowie
07-25-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by wvp
What can you beta people tell me about the audio improvements? Also, are we going to see more detailed VU meters? 3 band EQ instead of the basic "bass / treble"?
I saw a quick mention of mp3 use - has this been corrected? (In VT[2] mp3 files did not always play back properly).
Also, has support been added so you can use transitions on video with overlay?
Thanks Let's see if can can get the order above correct: mostly level improvements AFAICS, no, no again, and not sure - haven't tried it. Oh, and also no.

SBowie
07-25-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by RuiFeliciano
Let's try another question to see if it's easier and attracts more answers than the previous one ;-)

Is it possible to capture footage in LoRes, do all the editing and then tell VT3 to reconstruct my final edit with uncompressed footage? Haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

RuiFeliciano
07-25-2003, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the heads up Steve!

By transfer modes I mean the type of operations between layers that we can find in both Photoshop and After Effects (and more) such as screen, overlay, subtract, etc. is there such a thing in VT3?

SBowie
07-25-2003, 10:23 AM
Aah, sorry Rui - I think of those as 'compositing modes' or 'merge modes'. Anyway, the answer is no, save the existing merge modes within Aura, which is not what you meant.

wvp
07-27-2003, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the input Steve.
I have the VT[3] upgrade comming.
I must say it will be a BIG dissapointment to see that one cannot simply do a dve from source A to source B with one or both sources having a key. Or PIP to another source.
I have been able to do this, but it is much, much more difficult than it should be.
I'm also quite puzzled why it is so hard to make an audio mixer that have db meters on it.
:rolleyes:

RuiFeliciano
07-28-2003, 03:02 AM
Thanks Steve. It's a bummer that those transfer modes are not present, I use those quite a lot in my compositing work in AE, it would be super to have them realtime in Ted. Let's hope they make it into a not so far future release.

tmon
07-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Rui,

Just curious here. Are there any other NLE's on the market that have this feature?

Dillon
07-28-2003, 04:27 PM
Final Cut Pro has had it for ages (tho its not real time).

I believe Speed Razor also does this (not real time).

And some others...

Original1
07-30-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Dillon
Final Cut Pro has had it for ages (tho its not real time).

I believe Speed Razor also does this (not real time).

And some others...

There are the Key Words NOT IN REAL TIME.

It may well be the case that the reason this feature is not in place is the processing overhead it places on VT3, having to do a photoshop type merge for every frame would slow the system down

Danner
07-30-2003, 03:08 AM
I think we should have some stuff that is NOT real time

For example do a blur on a single layer, many times I have wished I had this even if it wasn't real time! I know the work arounds and they are okay, but by limiting Tedit to just real time effects we are missing out on some cool stuff. Other candidates could be transfer modes, masks, etc.
I dunno if the current arquitecture would allow things like that.

SBowie
07-30-2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Original1
There are the Key Words NOT IN REAL TIME.

It may well be the case that the reason this feature is not in place is the processing overhead it places on VT3, having to do a photoshop type merge for every frame would slow the system down Oh, I don't know if that's so. Really, the VT[3] is already performing merges for every frame, though of course if you go nuts with it background rendering might kick in.

I'm only speculating, but , to my mind the only difference between the 'alpha level merges' we already have and the standard compositing modes (Add, Subtract, Screeen, etc.), is a bit of very simple math - not more complicated math at all, just different.

I think it's "do-able", and I think it's intended. It's just not done, perhaps because there have been other priorities. For example, up until now there are any number of other ways to do more elaborate compositing - but the more important BC function has been very awkward. Similarly with 3D rotations and moves - if I had to wait longer for that in order to get merge modes, I'd think we had it backwards. Now those are just my priorities, but I think many would agree...

While it is clearly impractical to try to include ALL the features of a dedicated compositing app in VT-Edit, I think we're certain to see the gap narrowed.

SBowie
07-30-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by Danner
I think we should have some stuff that is NOT real time

For example do a blur on a single layer, many times I have wished I had this even if it wasn't real time! I know the work arounds and they are okay, but by limiting Tedit to just real time effects we are missing out on some cool stuff. Other candidates could be transfer modes, masks, etc.
I dunno if the current arquitecture would allow things like that. I daresay it could be arranged, but I'm not convinced it is necessary, really. We already have a competent BGR system that will render anything that won't run in realtime.

I don't think there is a direct correspondency between the (near miraculous already) realtime Blur's current 'all or nothing' approach and this matter. It doesn't seem to me that there's any design limitation that would prevent a Effect from being applied on a per layer basis, and if the stack get's to complicated, BGR kicks in.

As mentioned in another post, compositing modes shouldn't be impossible in realtime either AFAICS, and Mask isn't really much more complicated technically than keying, which we already have - it's probably quite a bit less complicated, actually, than keying with a soft shadow in realtime - which is SO close now (and in fact can actually be done with a trick or two.)

This discussion has been around a year or two, but I'm not sure it has a solid technical basis. We already have a mechanism to handle things which won't render in realtime, so I'm skeptical about a conviction that some sort of 'realtime bias' is impeding progress. Of course ... I could be wrong :)

Cman
08-06-2003, 07:17 AM
Will the VT3 Siggraph Streamed Demo be available to download anywhere?

Original1
08-06-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Cman
Will the VT3 Siggraph Streamed Demo be available to download anywhere?

Some of them are here

http://www.tv3d.com/Sig03/LW8.htm

Cman
08-06-2003, 08:26 AM
Oh yeah, there it is.
Thanks.
My boss will soon be watching this. :D

Cman
08-06-2003, 09:26 AM
Hmm...
Glad I watched it first. About 6-7 minutes in the vid goes to crap! :mad:

tmon
08-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Is it true that the "Auto" button is gone from the Chroma Key option in the VT[3] Compositing panel? Or is that just a viscious rumor?