PDA

View Full Version : graphic card question MAC quadro FX 5600

xhd2xhd
03-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Hello, I am quite new to lightwave and Mac.

Our office is trying to get a new Mac Pro but we were wondering what kind of graphic card would be best for us.

We do a lot of 3d medical illustrations and we model/use very very high polygon models.

As far as modeling or using 3d models that are very high poly, would it help to get a Quadro FX 5600 for our new Mac Pro?

or any other recommendation?

we currently use RadeonX1900 512m

Thank You for your help!

RedBull
03-12-2008, 07:56 PM
It's generally considered overkill, most of the consumer range Geforces actually outperform the Quadro's as they are usually clocked higher than the equiv Quadro... Quadro's have some minor accelerated features like AA Lines etc, which really offer minimal gains, (especially for LW) for the price premium you pay.

Having said that there are very few 1.5Gb consumer cards available, and the extra memory and bandwidth certainly wouldn't hurt for high poly work. (as long as CPU and RAM are also in abundance)

The one thing is however FX5600 has a throughput of around 76.4Gbps,
there are two consumer models the 8800GTX and 8800 ULTRA, which both perform @ 86.7 and 103.7 Gbps, this directly translates to how many triangles and operations per second the videocard can achieve.

Considering the price i think the 8800Ultra is faster and better value for LW, despite only having 768Mb of RAM, the Quadro takes 2 cpu cycles to access the other 768Mb of ram. You also have to love the 170+ watts used by the Quadro (make sure you have a hefty PSU)

Otterman
03-13-2008, 03:54 AM
Im currently using a G5 quad core with a poxy NVIDIA GeForce 6600 card. Because i have to handle cad data i also have to throw around loadsa polys as well. Its a real ball ache sometimes.

However-Im just about to get a new machine-the mac Octo-pro with the Quadro FX 5600 beast. So im hoping to see some dramatic improvement-fingers crossed.

Will give u some feed back as soon as i get my greasy mits on it!

Otterman
03-13-2008, 04:04 AM
Oh by the way-im not paying for this card-if it was my own hard earned money i was parting with-id go for the 8800 ULTRA!

Andrewstopheles
03-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Get the 8800 series - there is little gain for the added cost of the Quadro cards in Lightwave.