PDA

View Full Version : Audio Echo

Troylaflin
03-12-2008, 08:51 AM
I am trying to do some editing on my VT[5] computer using adobe premire pro 1.5. When I playback my time line I have a terrible echo in the speakers. the speakers are hooked up through the computers sound card. Now I have an SX-84 BOB I was just curious if VT[5] could be causing the audio to loop thru even if VT[5] isnt running.

If you have any other ideas or suggestions let me know

Thanks Troy

CreatvGnius
03-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I am trying to do some editing on my VT[5] computer using adobe premire pro 1.5. When I playback my time line I have a terrible echo in the speakers. the speakers are hooked up through the computers sound card. Now I have an SX-84 BOB I was just curious if VT[5] could be causing the audio to loop thru even if VT[5] isnt running.

If you have any other ideas or suggestions let me know

Thanks Troy

Assuming your host PC is using its native sound card for system audio, see what happens if you:
1. double-click on the little "loudspeaker" icon in the task tray (You're running Windows XP, right?), then in the Options menu, go to > Properties. Change the Mixer device to VIDEO TOASTER MIXER

2. Reboot your machine

3. try using the Left and Right AUDIO OUT of the SX-84 as the new audio source for your speaker system, when playing back Premier audio.

Does this work?
-PeterG

Troylaflin
03-12-2008, 02:04 PM
I went to that properties menu but there was no choice for the VIDEO TOASTER MIXER any other ideas

Thanks troy

CreatvGnius
03-12-2008, 06:49 PM
I went to that properties menu but there was no choice for the VIDEO TOASTER MIXER any other ideas

Thanks troy

Two more queries for you, Troy -
1. Which version of Windows are you running your VT suite on?

2. Well, what options did you find in the Windows VOLUME CONTROL > OPTIONS > PROPERTIES drop-down menu, in the MIXER DEVICE panel, where the audio cards are listed? :hey:
-PeterG

SBowie
03-13-2008, 06:40 AM
I went to that properties menu but there was no choice for the VIDEO TOASTER MIXER any other ideasThere wouldn't be with VT[5]. Whatever other ways there might be to address this, you could firmly eliminate the VT from the list of suspects by removing the card briefly.

Troylaflin
03-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Two more queries for you, Troy -
1. Which version of Windows are you running your VT suite on?

2. Well, what options did you find in the Windows VOLUME CONTROL > OPTIONS > PROPERTIES drop-down menu, in the MIXER DEVICE panel, where the audio cards are listed? :hey:
-PeterG

The only option was the AC97 audio mixer I called newtek and the told me to install the audio codec on the VT[5] install disc. I did that but then had to go so I havent got a chance yet to try your first idea again but the IDEO TOASTER mixer is now there. I am also running on XP pro 32 bit

SBowie
03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
The only option was the AC97 audio mixer I called newtek and the told me to install the audio codec on the VT[5] install disc.That would happen, yes - but frankly I think it only confuses your issue further. You are editing in PPro, using audio out through the mobo's AC97 - the last thing you want in trying to diagnose and eliminate an echo is another audio card enabled.

ScorpioProd
03-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there known issues with VT and Premiere Pro on the same system? Things that specifically involve audio and require removing some VT dlls? Or was this fixed with VT[5]?

CreatvGnius
03-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there known issues with VT and Premiere Pro on the same system? Things that specifically involve audio and require removing some VT dlls? Or was this fixed with VT[5]?

Interesting thought, Eugene -- yet, I would hope that if this were [currently] an issue, the folks in Tech support would've said something to Troy, to that effect.

Anxious to hear how he makes out when he gets back to his system. Actually, I wonder if he should uninstall the AC97 audio driver (Is it possible he could have two instances of it? Stever?)
-PeterG

SBowie
03-13-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm kind of linear when it comes to diagnostics ... so I'd start with the initial question - 'does VT play a role?'

(Actually, as it is my assumption that it probably doesn't, I might look for a problem with cabling, external connections and devices etc., first - but maybe that's been done.)

tfrank
03-13-2008, 04:56 PM
I have a similar problem here when I forget to kill an audio input on my VT mixer. In essense I have an audio loop from the VT timeline through my tape deck and back into the VT. I don't know Adobe Premeire, but could you have an audio pot open causing a loop?

SBowie
03-13-2008, 05:00 PM
[5] doesn't have the tendency previous versions did for winrtme to be running unexpectedly in the background, so you wouldn't think this would be an issue - but if it is, pulling the card for a minute would certainly demonstrate it.

Pete Draves
03-13-2008, 06:56 PM
If you turn the pass thru control to Zero (by double clicking) in the vt mixer
(only visible on the larger skins) the echo will disappear, do this and close toaster.

When using toaster audio will not record correctly until the pass thru is reset (use Alt-double click). Now toaster will record correctly.

I ran into this problem with sound forge working through toaster. I couldnot fix it right away and convinced the client he would like it.

Then later sniffed it out.

Good Luck
Pete

CreatvGnius
03-15-2008, 01:59 PM
If you turn the pass thru control to Zero (by double clicking) in the vt mixer
(only visible on the larger skins) the echo will disappear, do this and close toaster.

When using toaster audio will not record correctly until the pass thru is reset (use Alt-double click). Now toaster will record correctly.

I ran into this problem with sound forge working through toaster. I could not fix it right away and convinced the client he would like it.

Then later sniffed it out.

Good Luck
Pete
Kudos to you, Pete, for nailing that one!

:hijack:
Now if only I could get a low-level, but discernible, high-pitched "whistling" to stop, without having to lower the FRONT INPUT fader that's situated in the middle of the VT Audio Mixer...:devil:

Tried disconnecting all audio and video inputs/outputs from SX-8 (except the Audio Out driving the bi-amplified Altec-Lansing speaker system here) but no help.

What do you folks do, for better signal-to-noise ratio, with your VT card-in-your-host-PC scenarios? I don't know if there's a downloadable patch for that or not. If anyone has a suggestion, inform me? T.I.A.
-PeterG

Pete Draves
03-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Joke: Like humming? It doesn't know the words....

I have usually chased this to an unloaded input at high gain (mic or 10k).

My way around is to use a 4 buss mixer and by pass all bob for audio.

All inputs and outputs can be connected and monitored through a external amp. I also use Isolation transformers to cull out computer hash.
Several are available and I use whatever to setup professional systems.

I will enclose a word file I have that may explain better.

I always have this in the system.

Pete

CreatvGnius
03-15-2008, 06:50 PM
...I have usually chased this to an unloaded input at high gain (mic or 10k).
Unloaded, eh? You'd get that whistling even if *no* inputs were used on the SX-8?

...My way around is to use a 4 buss mixer and by pass a[the entire SX- 8(4) ] for audio routing].

All inputs and outputs can be connected and monitored through an external amp. I also use Isolation transformers to cull out computer hash.

Hmmm -- that's interesting. I keep thinking there might be some audio traces on the VT Card, picking up some stray signal(s) generated from within the host PC, to be frank.

...I will enclose a word file I have that may explain better.

Great! Thanks a million, Pete.
-PeterG

Pete Draves
03-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Way back when.... I ran a recording studio, no computers, I cut many LP records.

I found de-ground looping a studio was quite an art. Noise came from the front panel of the exciter grounding to the rack frame. etc etc etc.

I really am the old guy.

There is a lot of noise comings from the vt card. if the bob is bypassed and a mixer is used the noise can be filtered out. If the bob is used the noise becomes permanent.

A true 300 ohm impedance audio card for vt io would have added a great cost to the card. I believe NewTek developed the system they have to kind of fit to all general uses. My way has seemed to take it up a notch. The Beringer mixer I use is only $200.00 and can be very affordable as I can watch a DVD on the monitor with out interfering with the sound going to the vt.

Try the word doc system and your audio will be sooooo clean.

Good Luck
Pete

Troylaflin
04-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Sorry it has taken so long to respond I have been extrmely busy. I have tried all but one of the suggestions that is the one regarding pulling out the VT card. This is not my personnel VT it is my schools and I am not able to take it out. In the mean time I'm just using Firewire out of the computer into a Canoupus ADVC and into a referance monitor. its a hassle but it works. Thanks for all of the suggestions though.