PDA

View Full Version : Baking Error Message

DHudson
03-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Hello -

When I clicked Render to bake lights and the UV texture onto my Geometry, I get the message "Only surfaces with 3 or 4 vertices can be baked, Other faces will be ignored."

The image is very simple- an eps file from Illustrator of the outline of a peice of wood moulding, that I extruded to the thickness I needed. Then UV textured all in a white. Now I get that error message when I bake the texture .. and the image after baking is just the outline of the wood profile ... much like the original Adobe eps file.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

thank you so much!

MooseDog
03-12-2008, 04:08 AM
"Only surfaces with 3 or 4 vertices can be baked, Other faces will be ignored."

is what is going wrong. iow, you have polygons in your mesh that are either less than 3 vertices or more than 4. :)

DHudson
03-12-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm such a noob - and I have around 400 of these to do ... How do I fix this? I don't know how to get it to 3 or 4 vertices. Is it something I do before extruding?

I have attached a screen shot of one of the files I am working on.

Thanks again for your help!

rombust2
03-12-2008, 07:24 AM
I use "Shift T" (Tripple) to convert to triangles. Then "Reduce Polys" to create triangles / quads.

DHudson
03-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Thank you for helping all - so much appreciated :)

When I hit Reduce Polys- it looks the same as before I converted to triangles.

Is there a setting I should have had on Reduce Polys?

Thanks again

MooseDog
03-12-2008, 10:12 AM
don't worry so much about the number of polys atm, you want to accomplish your first task: baking.

the windows button up there in the top left?... click it and you should see an option for a "statistics" panel. activate that.

switch to polygon mode, and you'll see that the stats panel has changed as well, giving you some stats on the number and type of polys. to the left of the line that says >4 polys, click the little white +. bingo! all the polys that offended the surface baker are selected.

at this point, then do the shift-t thing, and problems solved.:dance:

wait:screwy: .....unless you have polys that are less than 3-points. the stats panel will reveal this as well. these can usually be deleted.

(i'm sharing this only because i love yellow labs :D )

DHudson
03-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Aww thank you :)

Thats Max- he and his sister Maggie say thanks! When moms happy- everyones happy. :)