PDA

View Full Version : Stop Press! Autodesk give something away for free! ;)

Matt
03-11-2008, 04:11 AM
I know! Amazing isn't it! But it's true! Autodesk have some HDRI / Texture images on their Alias site for download.

You need to register though, so don't think you can have it all your own way!

:D

http://aliasdesign.autodesk.com/downloads/

cresshead
03-11-2008, 07:53 AM
and in the same breath they increased subscription by 27%

:thumbsdow

cresshead
03-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Well, if you pay for it, you tell them it's ok.

:confused: :stumped:

i do pay for it and 27% price rise is far from okay...like err not okay!
but then they have me by the...''short stuff'':D

anyway was off topic...back to normal now!
:thumbsup:

JeffrySG
03-11-2008, 01:15 PM
I know! Amazing isn't it! But it's true! Autodesk have some HDRI / Texture images on their Alias site for download.

You need to register though, so don't think you can have it all your own way!

:D

http://aliasdesign.autodesk.com/downloads/
very cool, thanks Matt!

Have you tried any of them? how's the quality/resolution on them?

cresshead
03-11-2008, 01:20 PM
one of the hdr's is 40mb so plenty of 'data' in there

harlan
03-11-2008, 02:25 PM
It's not the first time they gave something away. They recently 'gave away' two free expansions for Maya with a variety of new functionality including Muscles, improved poly editing tools, etc...

It definitely sucks that they increased the subscription price, but to imply that paying for it "okays" it is a bit of stretch (for lack of a better term). We're frequently told here by our fellow lightwaver's (primarily when asking for feature requests) that if we have a problem with LW to go elsewhere.

Well, Maya, for many, is that "elsewhere", and if we have to pay a subscription fee to maintain the functionality we need which LW lacks, then so be it - at least until some of that functionality is implemented into LW.

Steamthrower
03-11-2008, 02:29 PM
To anyone who likes looking at banks of hundreds of small, colored icons, and sorting through them until you find the appropriate one, kudos!

Red_Oddity
03-11-2008, 02:36 PM
It's not the first time they gave something away. They recently 'gave away' two free expansions for Maya with a variety of new functionality including Muscles, improved poly editing tools, etc...

quote Gave away quote indeed, you need to pay a subscription fee for that extension, so that's 600 euros for complete or 1500 euros for unlimited, in Newtek money that's 2 to 3 new licenses and 3000+ render nodes.

I find it an insult they didn't just gave it away to every user, they poop out mediocre update after mediocre update for astronomical license fees, leave all the bugs that have been plagueing it since v4.0 and they give away a couple of HDRs, big f-ing whoop (sorry, but after one day on a shoot i go home with over 8 GB of panoramas, textures, references and HDR files, so excuse me if i'm not that elated.)

Still, i guess it's helpful for a lot of folks.

Steamthrower
03-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Still, i guess it's helpful for a lot of folks.

For non-Autodesk users? :D

JeffrySG
03-11-2008, 02:39 PM
^you said "poop" :)

(that made me laugh)

cresshead
03-11-2008, 02:45 PM
of course maya extension 2 has added muscles...not exactly 'poop' or mediocre is it?

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/ext2videos/5_muscle_creator.mov

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/ext2videos/4_muscle_collision.mov

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/ext2videos/1_workflow.mov

harlan
03-11-2008, 02:58 PM
quote Gave away quote indeed, you need to pay a subscription fee for that extension, so that's 600 euros for complete or 1500 euros for unlimited, in Newtek money that's 2 to 3 new licenses and 3000+ render nodes.

That's precisely why i put "gave away" in quotes. However, implying that those two extension updates are all you get for the support fee is absurd. I'm not condoning the use of the subscription method, nor the outrageous prices charged.

My point was simply that people around here will tell someone asking for a feature to be added in LW to go piss up a rope and use another software package that has said features, and then they mock the other app for the added expense. People here just need to quit being so damned biased, condescending, and hypocritical.

I take my work quite seriously and happily pay for the tools I need. You get what you pay for, and I now have a full featured muscle system integrated into an already class leading character animation toolset. Do I wish LW had those features? Absolutely!! Do I wish I could use LW instead of Maya? Absolutely, so much so that words can't even describe it!!

harlan
03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
To anyone who likes looking at banks of hundreds of small, colored icons, and sorting through them until you find the appropriate one, kudos!

What are you referring to exactly? The Maya interface?

It can be customised to look pretty much any way you'd like - hell, a simple switch will turn off the icons, substituting them with text. Many users turn the interface off altogether and use nothing but the viewports & hotbox to work with - the hotbox is entirely text with no icons at all.

Stooch
03-11-2008, 03:06 PM
you go harlan. totally agree with you.

I love looking at banks of icons in maya, however i tend to turn them all off and use the hotbox for everything. i also make a bunch of icons on the fly to repeat redundant tasks, (cant do that in LW) the new service packs are incredible. since i never really have to pay for my licenses (my clients take care of that) i really dont care about the pricing either, i know my clients have made their money back in one project (and then some) considering how much they charge for projects. so whats with all the negativity towards a badass applications with a feature set that is second to none?

btw you can customise maya interface anyway you like, yes you can eve get rid of all icons if you so wanted and replace them all with text icons. dont hate on it people, its a powerful tool and i think its worth the money. i feel that LW isnt really that much of a bargain in comparison, you get what you pay for in the end and currently lws functionality is about right for what it costs.

Stooch
03-11-2008, 03:13 PM
p.s. love the new edge select workflow, its stolen from modo but its ok, even though i own modo there is plently of features that id love for modo to steal from maya. :)

Steamthrower
03-11-2008, 03:14 PM
It's definitely a powerful tool, I don't deny it.

I was mainly griping at Max.

harlan
03-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Yep, and I'd love for LW to gain all of that functionality as well. They're kicking some *** on improving LW, but we're still a ways off from truly competitive functionality.

Stooch
03-11-2008, 03:22 PM
yep. i feel that at some point NT will be perfectly justified to ask more money for LW and i will be happy when that day comes. we all want badass features to be written by badass programmers and these programmers deserve to be paid appropriately. infact im not sure about programmer salaries but i wouldnt be surprised if a typical CG pro makes more than a programmer, which to me is odd since we wouldnt be making any money without these guys :)

wacom
03-11-2008, 03:30 PM
What a great marketing technique! Lower the initial cost and then up the subscription fee!

Hey LW is now FREE, but each year you pay $1500!!! Wow, wouldn't that be great!

At least in XSI they didn't have the nerve to change the subscription fee- AND they gave their users more features for changes in the price...that is "fair"...

More Autodesk bogus-ness....gotta keep those share holders happy by shifting around the money pool and getting those double figure increases...

Stooch
03-11-2008, 03:33 PM
hey you want to get top dollar for your work too, right? or do you prefer to give it away for free? or better yet, go bankrupt because you arent making enough money and completely go under. leaving your users in the dark?

Steamthrower
03-11-2008, 03:34 PM
What a great marketing technique! Lower the initial cost and then up the subscription fee!

Hey LW is now FREE, but each year you pay $1500!!!

I would pay twice what LW currently costs. Literally, because it pays for itself. But subscription: come on. I like owning things. Wholly owning them. I don't go for mortgages, rentals, anything like that. So a subscription would completely make me feel miserable.

Plus...what if you have a bad year one annum...where does that leave you?

Stooch
03-11-2008, 03:37 PM
but you dont have to pay subscription fees. you just wont get high priority support. right now we have a bunch of people all wanting certain things from newtek. well i would happily pay a subscription for NT to do what i need - first. im sure there is a certain group of people who can benefit from priority service and will gladly pay NT more cash, maybe they SHOULD tap into it. not make it mandatory or anything. so certain vocal guys can put their money where their mouth is, nt will have another source of revenue and maybe even speed up development as a result... everyone wins.

harlan
03-11-2008, 04:15 PM

Kind of like devaluing a $2495 product by cutting the price in half - sorta sucks for the folks who paid full price.

With that being said, I couldn't care less how much it costs, or how much Maya costs or how much their subscription fee is. I make money with these tools, knock on wood, but much more on some projects than these tools cost back in the 'full price' days.

The point is for people to quit their bitching about pricing structures, and to quit telling people to use something else when they request a feature found in another app. These tools cost money, some more than others, but you get what you pay for.

There are a ton of things to ***** about with Maya, but pricing structure should be quite low on the totem pole when you factor in the value in functionality & tools you get for the price.

harlan
03-11-2008, 04:19 PM
More Autodesk bogus-ness....

Tell that to the studios who are spending millions of dollars on multiple seats of Maya, site licenses, and support contracts. They pay these fees because the tool gets the job done, and they make money with it.

I couldn't care less what tool people are using, I use Lightwave and I use Maya, love them both.

wacom
03-11-2008, 07:32 PM
I wasn't saying that places couldn't afford it- just that it's funny to have advertised one quarter with a price drop, then the next with a subscription hike.

New users probably took the bait.

Subscriptions aren't as bad as people think, pending they company makes good progress on the product, since often major updates are included in the fee.

So if the point release cost of product Y was 1500, and the subscription is 750, and they almost always release a major update (v. 1 to v. 2) every two years or so that's all good in my book.

wacom
03-11-2008, 07:39 PM
I couldn't care less what tool people are using, I use Lightwave and I use Maya, love them both.

How far do you extend that kind of logic though?

IMHO you should care- customers caring about their products all the way around (cost, who makes it, how long will it last, over all quality) are important things to think about. Software, houses, cheese- you name it, I don't see where or why it hurts to think about these things a little with each purchase.

So if Maya was made by slave labor you'd just purchase it too? Just wondering where you draw that fuzzy line in your logic...

Personally I care the more a 3D company seems to be strictly driven by the bottom line with its investors over the good of a product and its community. While they are sometimes one and the same...I find that hardly so the larger a company gets and the more "attractive" it looks to certain investors.

Case in point- apple and shake. Now tell me that was so much fun for all the houses built around that software? F shake- let's just focus on Ipods since investors will love our bottom line rise!

Hopper
03-11-2008, 08:28 PM
yep. i feel that at some point NT will be perfectly justified to ask more money for LW and i will be happy when that day comes.
I'm only a hobbyist and I'd pay a few more bucks without whining. I've tried Max/Maya, Blender, etc. and so far LW has been the most fun and easiest to learn.

...infact im not sure about programmer salaries but i wouldnt be surprised if a typical CG pro makes more than a programmer, which to me is odd since we wouldnt be making any money without these guys :)
All ranges for both CG pros and programmers IMHO (being a programmer, I can speak for one side of the fence anyway)... It depends on your experience, well known resume markers (i.e. Fortune 500 companies), location, and who you know - just like the CG industry I'd imagine. The average salary for most senior and principal level programmers for software companies are just below and above 6 figures these days, but entry level guys can go as low as $30-50k. It just depends on where you live and who you work for.

harlan
03-11-2008, 08:29 PM
So if Maya was made by slave labor you'd just purchase it too? Just wondering where you draw that fuzzy line in your logic...

That's really taking my comment entirely out of context. There's no fuzzy logic involved at all.

To rephrase for clarity, I guess:

I don't care if you choose to use LW or Maya or even Lego's for that matter - use what you like and what gets the job done for you.

I really don't understand why you're trying to argue, to be quite honest, and I have no clue how you were able to misinterpret what I said to a point that you could make a slave labor reference (that's what I would call fuzzy logic). ;)

My posts here weren't meant to be argumentative or condescending or anything like that. Truth be told, I felt pretty bad for the way people here treated that guy making a feature request about adding to the way one can manipulate the camera in a LW viewport the other day.

People tend to jump all over others because they like a feature from another app, and request that it be implemented in LW - the reason they ask for this is because they'd prefer to use LW, but they like some of the functionality found in other apps - where's the harm in requesting or discussing the feature. Telling people that "if they like the feature in another app so much, why don't they just go use that app instead" is childish, ignorant, and completely counter-productive. People are requesting things to "improve" upon the toolset we already have in LW, key word being "improve".

Okay... I've officially gone off course, anyway, I think you get the idea. Oh, and the above comments aren't directed at you Wacom, I'm not implying that you're one of the people described above.

It would just be nice if people quit badmouthing other apps, or mistreating people; we're all here because we love LW, we all also want LW to kick the snot out of the other tools on the market - as such, people requesting features from other apps in the interest of improving LW shouldn't be treated poorly.

whoops... off course again... ;)

Red_Oddity
03-12-2008, 03:33 AM
That's precisely why i put "gave away" in quotes. However, implying that those two extension updates are all you get for the support fee is absurd. I'm not condoning the use of the subscription method, nor the outrageous prices charged.

That's why i quoted your quotes :) , and offcourse i'm aware that a subscription fee entitles you to any Maya update within your subscription period (that includes major releases aswell.)
But still, i think releasing freebees for subscribers only is insulting to the folks who coughed up 7000 euros for a program, that albeit is appearantly needed by everyone still is riddled with bugs (bugs that are so severe in the render pipeline that you often spend 2 days debugging a scene that took you 1 day to build)

Do we use it? unfortunatly so, do i wish it could be different? offcourse (i think for every year i work with Maya i loose one extra year of my life)
Still, when Maya works i can be a very powerfull tool indeed.

harlan
03-12-2008, 09:36 AM
But still, i think releasing freebees for subscribers only is insulting to the folks who coughed up 7000 euros for a program, that albeit is appearantly needed by everyone still is riddled with bugs (bugs that are so severe in the render pipeline that you often spend 2 days debugging a scene that took you 1 day to build)

Well they also released a free 2008 SP1 update, whose corresponding release notes document detailing the fixes, has 28 some odd pages worth of bug fixes listed.

To my knowledge, these are the same bug fixes found in the Extensions; you just don't gain the new features (muscle tools, etc). You can download it directly from the home page, no login or subscription needed.

Do we use it? unfortunatly so, do i wish it could be different? offcourse

And that's precisely what I mean. We use Maya because we have to, it has the features we need right now, but we'd all rather be using LW instead. Which is why it's important not to shun away people requesting similar functionality inside of LW.

Red_Oddity
03-12-2008, 09:46 AM
And that's precisely what I mean. We use Maya because we have to, it has the features we need right now, but we'd all rather be using LW instead. Which is why it's important not to shun away people requesting similar functionality inside of LW.
Exactly, watch, learn and copy i say, a lot of features of Maya i wish i had in LW, and a lot of features i have in LW i wish i had in Maya.

harlan
03-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Absolutely, and therein lies one of NewTek's greatest strengths:

Direct interaction with the customer on a developer level.

I've said it time and time again, even on other lists, but I personally feel that Jay Roth and team should be looked at as a 'model' for modern software development; the way they run betas and interact with customers is... well... "impressive" would be an understatement.

Matt
03-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Absolutely, and therein lies one of NewTek's greatest strengths:

Direct interaction with the customer on a developer level.

I've said it time and time again, even on other lists, but I personally feel that Jay Roth and team should be looked at as a 'model' for modern software development; the way they run betas and interact with customers is... well... "impressive" would be an understatement.

Very true, I feel I know them well enough to invite round for a cup of tea! :D