PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to add Ambient Occlusion to multiple surfaces at one time?

bgolden
03-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Probably something simple I'm missing but . . .Is there a way to add Ambient Occlusion to multiple surfaces at one time?

SP00
03-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Probably something simple I'm missing but . . .Is there a way to add Ambient Occlusion to multiple surfaces at one time?

Using the Node editor, No. Yes, it should be fixed.

GraphXs
03-11-2008, 07:37 PM
If ya use the Node editor, and want to copy the surface to other surfaces you can right click hit "copy" on the selected surface name which has the AO Node applied. (Under the Surface Editor window, not the Node editor.)
Then shift-select all the other surface names right click and hit "paste". :thumbsup:

The only bad think is if ya need to make a change you have to make it to any one of them and re-copy/paste it. I wish newtek would a a node state under the scene editor or some type of global entry.

nlightuk
03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I asked for multi-select/multi-edit functionality for the node editor AGES ago (right when it first appeared)...there's been no mention of it appearing so far.

The only feedback I got was the standard copy/paste solution which is fine for a few surfaces, but tedious in the extreme for lots, especially, as GraphXs said, when you have to make constant minor changes to the surface and then re-apply it across the board.

gerardstrada
03-11-2008, 08:20 PM
The only bad think is if ya need to make a change you have to make it to any one of them and re-copy/paste it. I wish newtek would a a node state under the scene editor or some type of global entry.

At least for AO passes, we don't need to do that with SG_AmbOcc:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/diffuseocc/occglobaledit1.gif

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80921&p=668423

Gerardo

kyuzo
03-12-2008, 04:49 AM
It seems to me that it would be simpler if there was a way to handle AO globally. After knocking up this rough in photoshop, I thought that a check box and or blending modes could be included, so the AO could be rendered as a seperate pass, or overlaid on the normal render using multiply, etc...
And maybe have a list of objects which are excluded, like with radiosity, etc...?

Derek

gerardstrada
03-12-2008, 05:37 AM
That's looks pretty useful and easy to use, Kyuzo.
A global plugin for applying a preset to multiple surfaces would be suitable as well (seeing that it can work not only for AO passes).

Gerardo

-EsHrA-
03-12-2008, 06:47 AM
+1 :)

having all the buffers there in 1 click would be sweet...

mlon

Andyjaggy
03-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Looks like a great idea to me :)

zatara
03-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Great idea!!!

ChrisDC
03-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Lwpassport can do this easily. It may be more than your looking to spend though...

gerardstrada
03-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Yes Passport is pretty useful and it has lowered its price, I think. However I'd like to see as well all these buffers implemented in a nodal environment (like in Buffer Render node - in the Pixel/Image Filter Node Editor - from Denis Pontonnier). Buffers there acquire completely other dimension.

Gerardo

globalnode
03-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Yes Passport is pretty useful and it has lowered its price, I think. However I'd like to see as well all these buffers implemented in a nodal environment (like in Buffer Render node - in the Pixel/Image Filter Node Editor - from Denis Pontonnier). Buffers there acquire completely other dimension.
Gerardo
Amen!

Lamont
03-15-2008, 01:46 AM
How I add AO to a scene in Maya is to link it to an ambient light and Bobs you're uncle.

manholoz
03-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Hmmm with the touted new lights in 9.5, an "occlusion" light could be possible, right?

Lightwolf
03-16-2008, 05:21 AM
Hmmm with the touted new lights in 9.5, an "occlusion" light could be possible, right?
That wouldn't be much different to using backdrop radiosity (with a white background) now though.

Cheers,
Mike

wacom
03-20-2008, 12:48 PM
It's important to have the flexibility to use it per surface, not just object. Some things you want to adjust the bias differently or the samples and search radius on. For others, you simply don't want a lot of AO (like back lit curtains).