PDA

View Full Version : How do i get rid of the 2 Gb limit ??

TIMECARE
03-10-2008, 11:45 AM
I am a Tricaster big fan which i adore. BUT being a Final Cut mac editor, I am finding it difficult to transfer a 'rendered for mac' big file onto a firewire drive which is formated on mac in msdos so as to be accessable on both systems. I did transfer a 34 Gb movie file to my G5 through a network cable but it took ageeeeeeeesssssssssss. I must be missing something. Anybody can point it out to me please.

robewil
03-10-2008, 12:47 PM
It sounds to me like the drive was formatted with the FAT32 file system. If Macs can read a drive formatted as NTFS, then you should re-format the drive on the PC using NTFS.

Mr Maze
03-10-2008, 01:10 PM
You can format drives that are bigger than 2 Gigs to FAT32 using Disk Utility on a Mac - you can't do that on a PC/Windows computer without a special program. I have done it to several portable USB drives (80-150 Gigs, approximately) so that large files can move back and forth across both platforms. Works perfect.

geoff
03-10-2008, 02:56 PM
You can format drives that are bigger than 2 Gigs to FAT32 using Disk Utility on a Mac - you can't do that on a PC/Windows computer without a special program. I have done it to several portable USB drives (80-150 Gigs, approximately) so that large files can move back and forth across both platforms. Works perfect.

From what I remember, the file size (not the partition size) limit on Fat32 is 2 Gig

Partition Size Limit on Fat32 formatting under XP is 32 Gig

Anything above 32 Gig has to be formatted under Win98 or ME if you need Fat32 ( again if I remember right )

I think most Macs can read any size NTFS partition, but might not be able to write to it

TIMECARE
03-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I think I am lost. Robewil is saying that the cause is being formatted FAT32 while Mr Maze suggests to format it to FAT32. I wish you clarify.

geoff
03-10-2008, 03:33 PM
I think I am lost. Robewil is saying that the cause is being formatted FAT32 while Mr Maze suggests to format it to FAT32. I wish you clarify.

TIMECARE..
Easiest option is to format the drive as NTFS under windows XP
Your Mac should then be able to read files from this drive, but might not be able to write to it..

The other option is to buy something like MacDrive for the PC that will then let you read and write to Mac formated drives under XP..

TIMECARE
03-10-2008, 03:45 PM
The other option is to buy something like MacDrive for the PC that will then let you read and write to Mac formated drives under XP..[/QUOTE]

Thanks Geoff. I am already on site to try the trial version and buy it if it works.

geoff
03-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks Geoff. I am already on site to try the trial version and buy it if it works.

No Probs.. Glad to help

robewil
03-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Definitely not FAT32! That is why you are having your problem. Format in NTFS.

Mr Maze
03-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Maybe I misunderstood... What I was talking about was the ability for OSX to make a larger partition on a FAT32 drive than Windows. However this does not help since you have a 34GB file. Perhaps I should have re-read before I posted.

Geoff is right, the best option is to format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and use Macdrive on the Windows computer. OSX cannot write to an NTFS volume.

TIMECARE
03-11-2008, 01:11 AM
thanks all ! its nice to get help and feel at home in a comunity

CreatvGnius
03-15-2008, 12:15 PM
thanks all ! its nice to get help and feel at home in a comunity

Wow. I learned a great deal in just the past 2 minutes. The contents of this thread is worthy of being re-written as a concise, F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions) item, and posted to NewTek's site. Don't y'all think?

Besides that, it would be handy if the company behind MacDrive™ was mentioned, along with a URL linking to the trial download. Anybody? :hey:
-PeterG

animlab
03-19-2008, 10:11 AM
MacDrive can be found at http://www.mediafour.com.

John Perkins
03-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Mac Drive has been known to cause problems on TriCasters.

It seems to completely tie up the machine at random, often causing startup problems or glitches in live performance.

We have not tested it in a year or so, but that was the case at one time.

Be careful installing it and do some good hard tests before relying on it.

MiniFireDragon
03-19-2008, 03:15 PM
32 gbs across a network will take some time. Look at the math:

Usual network bandwidth:
100mbs = 100 mega bits per second. Keep in mind that is BITS!!! there are 8 BITS to 1 BYTE so the speed in MBs is:

100/8 = 12.5 MBs and that is theoretical Thru put.

and u had a 32 gb file. So that is 36,000,000,000 / 12,000,000 = 3000 seconds which equals 50 minutes to transfer over the network providing it ran at it's max limit all the way through, but due to memory limits and hard drive write speeds the time grows from there. The upside is it is one big file so it would take less time then 32gbs of small files.

MiniFireDragon
03-19-2008, 03:17 PM
I should note that transfering a file over a gigbit network (1,000 mbs) will take less time, and I have seen this. Watched a 150mb file take 30 seconds to open on a 100mbs and 10 seconds on a 1000mbs.