PDA

View Full Version : How to twist a bent object

ericsmith
03-10-2008, 11:23 AM
So I have a long drill bit that's being bent with a bone chain. The tricky part is that I need the drill bit to be spinning while it's bending.

I've tried Dstorm's Trailer plugin, but I can't seem to figure out how to make it work in any sensible way, let alone what I'm trying to attemp here.

Any other ideas would be very helpful.

Eric

evenflcw
03-10-2008, 12:16 PM
You can set the bank up much the same way you set the scale up when you want stretchy bones. Put a bone inbetween each deforming bone and use an expression to cancel out the bank/scale from the parent.

Relativity syntax:
-1 * B(PARENT,t)

LWExpression/LScript syntax:
-1 * [parent name].rot(Time).b

SplineGod
03-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Try spinning the drill bit and baking it as an mdd file. Use the bone chain to bend it as it spins. You might also be able to use
DStorms trailer plugin instead of the bone chain since it allows other deformers.

Dan_The_Man
03-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Could you use an endomorph to make it spin while it's straight then animate it using Morph Mixer?

SplineGod
03-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Endomorphs are linear unless you used a lot of them. The mdd method does the same thing and is far simpler. :)

ericsmith
03-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks evenflcw! It looks like that's gonna work.

Larry-- The MDD idea is also interesting. I'll put that on my list of alternate possibilites.

Eric