PDA

View Full Version : Older plugins on UB MacPro?

Giacomo99
03-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Hello-

Is it possible to use older plugins (with the .p extension) with the new UB version of Lightwave (in which all plugins have the .plugin extension)?

Please advise.

Chilton
03-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Hi Giacomo99,

No, it's not possible to mix PPC and Intel architecture code in the same executable. We could have come close, but it wouldn't have worked across the board for all plug-ins, and the larger (and more complex) ones would have most certainly broken.

So we did something a tad bit unprecedented on the Mac platform today--we continue to build and update our CFM-PPC only version of LW (based in CodeWarrior). So if you need to use an older plug-in, you can use the CFM version to do that, but you'd obviously be running in Rosetta on any Intel based hardware you're using.

This is a somewhat complicated topic, and I've greatly oversimplified our solution in the above paragraph. But does that kinda make sense?

-Chilton

Giacomo99
03-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Chilton- That clears it up. Thanks for the explanation.

Phil
03-10-2008, 09:53 AM
The fly in the ointment is that PPC LW is not supported by anyone on Intel hardware. Which makes life rather awkward.

Chilton
03-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Well, specifically GLSL in the PPC version of LW has problems on Intel. And that's almost impossible to correct, due to the lack of a debugger that works in PPC mode. Aside from GLSL, I suspect everything should work just fine.

But no, we don't support it. And even if we did, if we identified some bug in GLSL under Rosetta, do you think Apple would fix it?

-Chilton

Scazzino
03-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Yes, even though it's not supported, I've used the LW CFM on the Intel Mac Pro without any major problems... If GLSL's the only problem, I wouldn't worry about it much, since GLSL never really worked for me even on the PPC G5... So I always use Multitextured OpenGL anyway.

:beerchug:

Phil
03-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Well, specifically GLSL in the PPC version of LW has problems on Intel. And that's almost impossible to correct, due to the lack of a debugger that works in PPC mode. Aside from GLSL, I suspect everything should work just fine.

But no, we don't support it. And even if we did, if we identified some bug in GLSL under Rosetta, do you think Apple would fix it?

-Chilton

No, but it's not just NewTek that would be needed to support it. No plugin vendor supports their product under Rosetta. It's an important caveat for any user contemplating using their Intel Mac with a Rosetta LW toolchain in production.

dmf
09-23-2008, 06:44 AM
I know the only way to use the non UB pugins is in the CFM version for Mac, but running CFM under Rosetta is not working when I use my license.key file.

I just wanted to install de CFM Mac version on my Intel Mac, but Layout just bounces in the dock. When I open it without the license.key, Layout does open in Discovery Mode. Strange.

Anyone had the same problem? Is the license number related to the version you download?