PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with my old VT3?

INOV8Pro
03-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Hey NewTek World:

I have an old VT3 that is taking up space in my home. I would really like to get rid of it but I doubt I could sell it on ebay. That would take more effort than its worth.

The system includes and RS-8, BOB, VT3 card, all of the cables, a Medea SCSI 500 GB raid, a noisy dual 2.4 GHz intel Xeon computer and all the software.

The only thing I might keep would be the RS-8 if it is compatible with the TriCaster. If not I am willing to part with that too.

If anyone wants any of this I am willing to sell it to you for the cost of shipping. Otherwise it is going in the garbage. If anyone knows how I might recycle some of this let me know. A giant paper weight is not an option.

I am also going to talk to the local NewTek dealer and see if he wants any of it.

Thanks,

Paul

Qexit
03-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Why not post it for sale - open to offers in the Classified section of these forums ? There is a VT Specific area that would be exactly the right place to sell it. You definitely should not be contemplating chucking it in the trash :thumbsdow

Titus
03-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Are you serious? I can help you get rid of that burden :). Seriously, there's a school here that can welcome such a gift.

ted
03-09-2008, 10:13 PM
I know the feeling. I have a VT here at home and was going to give the computer to my parents who are computerless. But, besides the fact that I'd be giving computer lessons daily for life, it isn't new enough to try and give it away. Just a few years ago it was a decent modern VT system!

I'm starting to have computer carcasses all over the studio and home now.

BUT, if you want to get rid of the VT hardware, I'll cover the shipping. Know going in that I'd probably turn it around for more money or trade for other gear. :D But I'll take it off your hands.

dwburman
03-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I'd take the VT as well. Heck, I'll take the whole setup if it's still working. I don't own a decent editing solution or capture/playback/TV studio in a box ATM.

INOV8Pro
03-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Wow! I didn't think I would get this response. I would rather the computer went to a school if that is truly the case.

However, beware that anyone who intends to use it must know what they are doing. It would take some know how to get it up and running again and it never quite worked perfectly for me. Also beware that if you want some of the computer and or the Medea raid that they are very heavy. I'm not sure what the cost of shipping would be.

You will need a copy of Windows XP Professional if you intend to use the computer as I have removed my licensed copy of the software.

I could post some photos if that's possible on this discussion forum.

Paul

Titus
03-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I've a VT2 and use it in a daily basis so no problem knowing the system. This is the school I'm talking about here (http://www.artesvisuales.unam.mx/), it is not a poor place for starving kids but starving young artists, I theach there video and animation, and I'm sure a VT could be a great help being a public school (the cost for a semester is $10 bucks).

Custom taxes could be killer for a PC and the Medea array but I can manage to bring the card and software, also the Bob and the rest of peripherals.

inquisitive
03-10-2008, 03:56 AM
A free computer and VT3? I'll take it, I am not a school though.

I could use the computer for rendering, currently using a dual p3 600mhz along with my dual 2.6 Xeon- yeah very slow but better than nothing. :) and the Raid to store the images, the VT3 well I would like to have it too (who wouldn't).

However, If it was pick and choose, I would say have the VT3 hardware/software go to a school, and I would take the computer, raid, or computer and BOB (I already have a vt2 card, but no BOB)

Dan_NT
03-10-2008, 08:22 AM
The RS-8 is compatible with all video switching products NewTek produces, this includes VT2 and up and all TriCasters.

Jim_C
03-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Making a grand or so off of eBay is not worth your time?

Man your time is expensive... ;)

Even if you don't auction it, my lord man DO NOT throw it away. Talk about selfish.

Andrewstopheles
03-10-2008, 09:58 AM
If anyone has a Tricaster Studio to give away, I'll start a school...

Steamthrower
03-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Send it to me! I am member of a one-person school called Klar Design that needs new render farm nodes!

Just kidding. Don't throw that thing away though, support the starving artists.

UnCommonGrafx
03-10-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm in Indiana and want to start back up with VT classes. The school won't get me one in the short-term but yours would be priceless for us.

Can we have it? ;)

At the Indiana School for the Deaf. I'd be happy to call, or what have you, to get all the info on it.

Dreams do come true. Make ours... ;)

dwburman
03-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Well, I can't compete with a school, but I could possibly pick it up on my cross-country drive in April. :)

ted
03-10-2008, 06:23 PM
It’s called Recycling and it's a great thing. Unfortunately, like Paul said, so many parts are hardly worth salvaging since they get outdated so quickly.

This brings up a good point though. There are always users that are a step or two behind others.
We should start and monitor a couple threads for people like me that have 3-4 unused boxes sitting around. I’m sure there are enough parts laying around that would really help some people.
Of course, a price should be paid to the seller in most cases….PAUL! :hey:
Maybe I'll put some stuff on the "for Sale" thread....some day. :D

Tarheel Cougar
03-10-2008, 06:25 PM
If it is a working system, I also know a public school system that can use it and you can take a tax deduction.:hey:

INOV8Pro
03-10-2008, 06:49 PM
:stop: Ok, this idea was a mistake. Now I'm getting everyone's story about how much they need the system and that they have 10 children and or are opening a school. I know I definitely don't have the time to confirm these stories.

So, after some convincing posts I'm going to take some time and sell the thing on ebay. If they really want it they can buy it. If I can't sell it I'll give it to a local school.

Note to self. Never do this again. Nothing is free. Including my time.

Paul

Titus
03-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Well, I don't need it and don't want to create a drama. Thanks for your initial offer, I'm sure you'll get something back of your investment.

inquisitive
03-10-2008, 10:23 PM
If you really want to get rid of it, and you dont have the time then just give it away to one of the local community media centers.

http://www.sncat.org/index.php?p=about
http://www.acctv.org/
http://www.dccatv.org/

and plenty more to take your pick from here.
http://www.communitymedia.se/cat/linksus.htm

dwburman
03-11-2008, 04:20 AM
Ebay is probably a good move. You could post in on Craigslist.com for your area. It's free but you won't benefit from a possible bidding war.

If you do post it on ebay or anywhere else, let us know. :)

Gordon
03-14-2008, 06:00 PM
The system includes and RS-8, BOB, VT3 card, all of the cables, a Medea SCSI 500 GB raid, a noisy dual 2.4 GHz intel Xeon computer and all the software.
...You might also want to part it out. VT cards and software are pretty rare on eBay and the SX-8 is even rarer. The last VT2/VT3 card on eBay went for about $1000 and the last SX-8 went for even more! I know because I have a customer that needs a small portable VT system for sports and is looking to save a few thousand by purchasing used, so I have been watching for VT cards and SX-8 for sale for the past few months.

(There is a VT5 card and software on eBay now with a starting price of $2725 - alas they don't ship to Canada so that is not an option for us here.) I guess I will just have to sell my customer a second new full VT[5] system for a lot more. :devil:

We wouldn't want/need the computer - they tend to not survive shipping anyhow and the cost of shipping goes way up because of size and weight.

lesterfoster
03-14-2008, 10:01 PM
I know because I have a customer that needs a small portable VT system for sports and is looking to save a few thousand by purchasing used, so I have been watching for VT cards and SX-8 for sale for the past few months.

Hay Gordon. I am still thinking about letting my VT system go. You know what I have.

I have not started my VT system up now for over a year now.

Send me a private message or better yet. Call me at work. I think you know the number.

Perhaps this could be a benefit for all involved. And save a lot on shipping cost.:thumbsup:

Gordon
03-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi Lester;
It's been a while since we talked. I'll give you a call soon as there are three other proposals I'm working on that need not only the card but also the SX-8.

Gord

lesterfoster
03-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Don’t forget about the other stuff. I have a lot of cables and connecters, BNC exc. VCR,s Cameras. Steadicam / glidecam camera stabilizers. A car load of stuff to go with the VT system.

Almost everything that is needed to produce live shows